TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competition to win copy of the next album  (Read 64334 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »

Rather disappointingly predictable list, I'm afraid.  Not much out of that lot that they haven't played a lot, apart from Sailor's Life, Come All Ye and Farewell, Farewell

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »

Agree with you there Will, but I think this was going to be the case anyway no matter what. Still-remakes/reworkings of Jewel In The Crown, Farewell, Farewell, Red and Gold, Genesis Hall, Sailor's Life, and Fotheringay could prove interesting. As you mentioned earlier I'm not sure about Fotheringay being sung by Simon or Chris, but you never know. As for the others, the ones that have been in the repertoire (or never left)by the current lineup, lets just hope they get tweaked slightly from how they have been performed.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

I don't think I won  Sad

Wink
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

I am pretty sure I didnt either.  Otherwise Lord Marlborough would be in the list.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »

Me either....I think my for the hell of it pick was Don't Be Late from Gottle (I remember on Cropredy Chronicles they mentioned that is the only album where nothing from it has ever been played at Cropredy-is that still the case? I'm sure somone will quip shortly....for good reason! Smiley

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »

I am sure I didn' t! One or two of mine appeared way down the list. But to be totally frank I couldn't imagine an album with Rising for..and Genesis Hall, both being rerecorded fairly recenttly and the top 5 being in the repertoire atm. Must admit I am a bit disappointed and underwhelmed by the result... Sad

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »

Yup. Predictable. And you can immediately discount Tam Lin, Now Be Thankful, Rising For The Moon & Sloth as candidates for the album
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

They could always make it less a predictable recording, by inviting some guest vocalists to turn up.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »

Kellie While for A Sailor's Life please Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »

They could always make it less a predictable recording, by inviting some guest vocalists to turn up.  

Hmmmm...I tend to hate those albums with a castlist of guest artists.  They always come across as desperate.  What works for a Croppers gig wouldn't be the same for a studio record.  I'd rather the band hunkered down to something fresh or drafted in a new musician or singer or writer (or all three in one) permanently to stir the pot up a bit.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »

Yeah. Like Richard Thompson for instance.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »

I'm sorry, but I really don't want to hear this album....I just can't connect with the idea of it in any shape or form...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »

I'm sorry, but I really don't want to hear this album....I just can't connect with the idea of it in any shape or form...

I can't help wondering how much enthusiasm the band will ultimately have for this idea themselves. All of the studio remakes to date have been pale imitations of the originals (whereas live versions on Cropredy 08 for example are splendid). 14 of the 20 tracks voted for come from a 2 year period out of the band's 44 year career and only one member of the current line up played on 13 of the 20 songs voted for (with the count rising to two members for an additional 4 songs). It must be particularly disappointing for them that nothing at all from the Chris Leslie years has made the list. They might have at least expected John Gaudie to be there.

I can't see what they can do to really make this work to anybody's satisfaction. It is just too unimaginative a list.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »

Has anyone ever heard a remake (particularly one by a later version of the same band) that is better than the original?

I might give a half thumbs up for Kate Bush's Director's Cut, but as these were songs she was very vocally unhappy with at the time, and nobody really regarded as classics in the first place, I'm not sure the comparison works...

So, this is entirely the wrong way round...they've asked for a list of everybody's fave tracks which they then want to reinterpret?  Right..Saying it out loud doesn't succeed in making it sound a better idea, does it...surely, it would have been a much more productive idea to just remake Gottle? Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2011, 08:43:48 AM »

Has anyone ever heard a remake (particularly one by a later version of the same band) that is better than the original?

I'm tempted to say (controversially) the Just Us version of Circle Sky by The Monkees, purely because you can actually hear the vocals unlike the original but otherwise no.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »

I'm tempted to say (controversially) the Just Us version of Circle Sky by The Monkees, purely because you can actually hear the vocals unlike the original but otherwise no.

Nah, that Justus version sucks.  What you want is the vocals-up mix of the original as found on Missing Links vol 3.

Jules

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »

I might give a half thumbs up for Kate Bush's Director's Cut, but as these were songs she was very vocally unhappy with at the time, and nobody really regarded as classics in the first place, I'm not sure the comparison works...

So, this is entirely the wrong way round...they've asked for a list of everybody's fave tracks which they then want to reinterpret?  Right..Saying it out loud doesn't succeed in making it sound a better idea, does it...surely, it would have been a much more productive idea to just remake Gottle? Wink Smiley

Career Opportunities, by The Clash, which they reworked on Sandanista, although that was only a couple of years or so after the original, is one that I can think of.

Anyway, I'm with you david, in not really seeing the point of this. To me the only way it could be made interesting would be with guest vocalists/musicians, but not the usual folk circuit suspects. No guarantee anyone would say yes, of course, but why not be totally radical and ask the likes of Dani Filth, Chris Cornell, Siouxsie, Jake Burns, Tom Waits, Adele.........there are loads out there who would/could bring something new. Need an independent producer as well I suppose.

I'll just get me tin hat............
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »

surely, it would have been a much more productive idea to just remake Gottle? Wink Smiley

That's actually a pretty neat idea!   Smiley

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

Career Opportunities, by The Clash, which they reworked on Sandanista, although that was only a couple of years or so after the original, is one that I can think of.

But that version's awful!   Sad

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »

But that version's awful!   Sad

Jules

Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: