TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:37:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rising For The Moon  (Read 30247 times)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »

Fair point David, DM was a show /dance band drummer before FC was he not? this gave him the experience and knowledge to push the thearical style.  BR is more your rocker/jazz type, therefore a different approach (still bloody good though!!!) Will stick mt neck out on this one, I reckon that GC could do more than brilliant take on the RFTM material, he is IMHO one of the finest precussionists around.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »

Rising for the Moon has always struck me as a good, but not a great, album.  A few things just don't work (like Night Time Girl).  One More Chance is excellent - Fairport's 'Freebird moment', I always think.  After Halloween is one of my favourite songs, but I've always preferred the demo version that appears on the Sandy box sets.  

But I agree it would be nice if a few of those songs could be revisited by the current line-up.  Always (well, often  Smiley) nice to get a new take on old friends.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »

Having said this, I agree entirely with the sentiments about the Nine line-up. Sandy rejoining seemed like an excellent idea to me when it happened. But looking back with the wisdom of experience, I keep thinking that the Nine line-up really never got a proper chance to develop. It showed great promise and there were many interesting directions it could have gone. Nine is FC's most underrated album and one of my favourites.

But that's an entirely different discussion, I suppose.

Thor-Rune

Maybe a different thread but I think that many, many Fairport fans thought it a brilliant idea when Sandy re-joined. Especially we who hadn't had much opportunity to listen to a live Nine-line-up. It's only with hindsight we see some things...
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »

After Halloween is one of my favourite songs, but I've always preferred the demo version that appears on the Sandy box sets.  

Same here.  That's a lovely demo.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »

Nine is FC's most underrated album and one of my favourites.

I disagree - just about everyone I know who has heard it really rates Nine so it can't be that underrated.  The most underrated album IMO is Tipplers Tales.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »

The most underrated album IMO is Tipplers Tales.

Jules

Think I'd probably agree with you...along with the majestic debut of course...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »

Nine is FC's most underrated album and one of my favourites.

I disagree - just about everyone I know who has heard it really rates Nine so it can't be that underrated.  

That's the problem. Outside of this community, not too many people have.

I had a friend who I turned on to FC. He went to see the current line up live several times. He loved the albums up to Full House. I eventually got him to listen to Angel Delight & Babbacombe Lee which he enjoyed. But he absolutely refused to listen to anything else despite me imploring him to give Nine a go.
Thor-Rune

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »

That's it excactly, GubGub. In here we are aware of it, but elsewhere it's been largely overlooked. So I suppose "ignored" is a better word than "underrated". But I still recall how annoyed I felt when the remastered CD of it got slagged off by some idiot in Record Collector (not Kingsley Abbott, I hasten to add), who then proceeded to give Live Convention and RFTM the same treatment.

T-R
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »

That's the problem. Outside of this community, not too many people have.

I had a friend who I turned on to FC. He went to see the current line up live several times. He loved the albums up to Full House. I eventually got him to listen to Angel Delight & Babbacombe Lee which he enjoyed. But he absolutely refused to listen to anything else despite me imploring him to give Nine a go.

.....and that's a darn shame, because NINE is the finest album the band produced in the 70s, besides FULL HOUSE, IMO.

Right on target about the "underrating" of TIPPLERS.  All fans will rate it on a different level than non-fans.  Although, if I were to have to rate it amoungst the other albums before it, I don't believe it would end up very high on the list.

Back on topic:  I prefer the demo of One More Chance, far more than the lush over-treatment on MOON.  

If the whiskey is good - no ice, water, or 7-UP, please!  Wink
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:04:57 PM by wileytown » Logged
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »

Talk about "overlooked": on its "unavailable" list, Rhapsody doesn't even list Nine!
'Course, it doesn't list FH (which is strange, because HF is listed), BL, R, TT, AD, TFTM, GoG, BBoR ...
Simon Withers

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »

RFTM is one of my favourite Lp's and like so many on this board, I agree that 'One more chance' is I feel one of Fairport's Finest. For along time I had difficulty with the balance of the LP in respect to the over all recorded sound, this was in relation to the recording of the two distinctive styles of drummers, DM and Bruce. I always have and continue to perfer DM's open sound to Bruce's more 'funkier' and dense sound. That said, on the many occasions I saw the 'Fairport four' of Bruce, Swarb, Nicol and Pegg I always thought they were a great, tight and enjoyable gigging band; I listen fondly to 'Bonny bunch of Roses' particularly. The Bruce years made Fairport very earthy, rural and authentic, akin to 'Full House' line up I feel. (I hope this connection between the two Lp's is not too easily explained away and I am not saying all other Fairport material is not authentic, neither is it any reflection on Bruce or DM... its just that these two Lp's seem to come from the same place, if you wish so does L&L and Swarbs Solo LP ' Smiddyburn') Before I dig a big hole...... Lips Sealed

I'd love to see Bruce pick up the sticks again and perform at Cropredy.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »

..., on the many occasions I saw the 'Fairport four' of Bruce, Swarb, Nicol and Pegg I always thought they were a great, tight and enjoyable gigging band; I listen fondly to 'Bonny bunch of Roses' particularly. The Bruce years made Fairport very earthy, rural and authentic, ...

I'd love to see Bruce pick up the sticks again and perform at Cropredy.

I´m happy with having experienced at least three different but very rewarding styles of drumming in Fairport  and I totally aggree concerning the gigging foursome. But different players, different styles and sounds. There are always things you like more or less.
But I´d love to hear some Bruce- and DM-drumming together with Gerry´s in a fortnight.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
malcolm weaver

Loc: Notts.

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »

Does this mean that the album shall be renamed....Uprising For The Moon....perhaps a live concept album including a host of musical friends to swell the numbers, think of all the Sandy type singers, think of all the guitarists who would sign up for such an event!!! Wink Wink

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »

As a newbie I'm sure I've missed out on many topics but what is the general consensus regarding Fairport's... Rising For the moon?
I think there are some excellent tracks on there and standout musicianship not to mention Sandy's searing vocals.
                                    What say you?

Like a lot of Fairport's albums, it's a mixed bag - I think overall it's a good album, but I imagine the direction would have baffled a lot of people. Nine is more consistent.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »

Ditto. Fairport could have easily been Fotheringay at that point. With TL and JD, it just doesn't have that English FC sound (not that I'm being xenophobic in anyway)

Isn't this down to the producer being the bloke who was more used to working with US bands like the Eagles?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »

Like a lot of Fairport's albums, it's a mixed bag

It is, however, a model of consistency compared to Rosie, Gottle O Geer and two or three recent efforts.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »

Like a lot of Fairport's albums, it's a mixed bag

It is, however, a model of consistency compared to Rosie, Gottle O Geer and two or three recent efforts.

Rosie. Ugh. Never could get into that, or Gottle!

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »

I have to say regarding the Fairport drummers, that I think DM, Bruce and Gerry are all first rate and I can't criticise any of them.  DM is near perfect but I also think Bruce did an admirable job subbing for DM, and Gerry has always been a class act - recently played the first Steeleye album and on the tracks Gerry drums on his playing is terrific.

Jules

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2007, 08:44:16 PM »

recently played the first Steeleye album and on the tracks Gerry drums on his playing is terrific.

So is DM's

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2007, 09:24:02 PM »

Quite like many of the tracks on Rising for the Moon., even if they do sound like a different group! I'd listened to Blackmore's Night before hearing RFTM, and as soon as I heard the title track it made me think that that sound must have been an influence on Blackmore's new tack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: