TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:44:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny - live  (Read 11295 times)
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »

I saw Sandy live a couple of times - both at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh.

The first time was with Fairport in November 1974. They were (of course) excellent but ultimately I remember being a bit frustrated as you wanted to hear more songs from Sandy, Swarb & Trevor.  They each took a turn at the mic but inevitably so many great songs missed the cut - mind you they would have been there all night to fit all of my favourites in.  

The second time was on her final solo tour in November 1977 with Trevor & DM in her band & supported by Danny Thompson.  I think that was on the same tour as the London show which was recorded & released as Gold Dust.

I also had tix for the Rising for the Moon tour visit to Edinburgh in October 1975 but sadly missed that one as my car had an argument with a tree earlier that week & I was laid up as a result.  my friend who took my ticket told me it was the best gig he had ever seen at that time so you can imagine how I felt about that!

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Thor-Rune

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 08:47:10 AM »

I recall seeing her with the Fairports on a festival outside Oslo in 1974. As she was doing a slow ballad a wasp or a bumble bee took a shine to her freshly washed hair. She spotted it as it got too close for comfort. Her reaction was quite a sight. I thought Keith Moon had joined on keyboards.

Half a year later I saw her with the Fairports again for the show that became the Many Ears To Please CD.
MikeD
n3wb

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »

Despite trying to be in the right place at the right time I never did get to see Sandy play. From the Van Dike club, Plymouth in the late 60’s to Birmingham University in the 70’s it just didn’t happen.

The 1st time I got to see FC was on their farewell tour in 1979!
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »

Sadly, I never got to see Sandy in live performance.  I can only report two near misses.

In May 1973, I was living in Berkeley California, & she performed solo at the Berkeley Community Theater.  But I was off visiting New York City just then and missed out.

In Oct. 1974 and June 1975, I saw Renaissance twice in New York City, to where I had moved.  In this time period, Fairport (with Sandy) were double-billed with Renaissance for a number of concerts - but, unfortunately, not for the two that I was able to attend.

Ah, well...

Cheers ///  Tom M.***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »

Any one else on this board who saw L&L?   (..and who had a seat!  - I assume Simon remembers being there!)

I'd love to compare memories over a pint in August!

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: