TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:46:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Christmas Band  (Read 18572 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »

Mrs Reg's seen Simon N wandering round town. Grin

Is he lost?

He was trying to find his bus.  He'd parked it there somewhere, you know...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

Lovely performance at Norden Farm in Maidenhead last night, all performers on top form! Snow not too bad so we were able to drive to the venue instead of walk (struggle or wade) like last year.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

Lovely performance at Norden Farm in Maidenhead last night, all performers on top form! Snow not too bad so we were able to drive to the venue instead of walk (struggle or wade) like last year.

That's got a very high stage if I remember.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »

perhaps, but probably only a 'neck-craner' for the first two rows. Good sound, lighting, food (excellent fish & chips there), local Marlow Rebellion ale etc!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »

Thankfully, the band made it through the snow to Crosby last night to put on a wonderful show. We decided not to risk the car, so we walked there - it took about an hour, in exceptionally chilly weather (Crosby was the coldest place in the UK last night -17.8!!) but it was worth it. We came away feeling exceptionally Christmassy - the band produce a great atmosphere and the show is a lot of fun as well as being musically superb.

... and it was nice to meet PaulT there.

The band play at Canterbury tonight - not a trip I'd fancy in this weather. I do hope they have a safe journey.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:35:22 AM by Shankly (Peter) » Logged
Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »

According to the Gulbenkian website all shows going ahead, it's a long trek from Crosby to Canterbury, hope they make it, I'm only coming from the Medway towns and I'm wondering if I'll get there!
StephenGiles

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Thankfully, the band made it through the snow to Crosby last night to put on a wonderful show. We decided not to risk the car, so we walked there - it took about an hour, in exceptionally chilly weather (Crosby was the coldest place in the UK last night -17.8!!) but it was worth it. We came away feeling exceptionally Christmassy - the band produce a great atmosphere and the show is a lot of fun as well as being musically superb.

... and it was nice to meet PaulT there.

The band play at Canterbury tonight - not a trip I'd fancy in this weather. I do hope they have a safe journey.

I hope they have a safe journey as well - the main roads seem to be OK in the Croydon area today.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:01 AM »

You will be glad to know that the Albions made it safely to Canterbury to deliver an excellent show of seasonal songs, readings, dances and more.  It was a meritable blend of folk, folk rock, wit and silliness.  Also some breathtaking acoustic guitar!!! Cool Cool Cool
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

You will be glad to know that the Albions made it safely to Canterbury to deliver an excellent show of seasonal songs, readings, dances and more.  It was a meritable blend of folk, folk rock, wit and silliness.  Also some breathtaking acoustic guitar!!! Cool Cool Cool

Yes, very glad to hear that they made it, which is a much better performance than we could manage!  Got stuck in Canterbury, on Saturday, for 4 hours (whole city sliding and wheel spinning to a standstill) plus another 1.5 hour extremely slow, slodgy  journey home.  So very reluctantly, we decided not to attempt it.  Such a shame....was really looking forward to it  Sad   That's 3 gigs missed in the last couple of months!  "Enough now snow...please depart!"  
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »

Peter (Shankly) - nice to meet you, Peter! - summed it up perfectly - a lovely evening in Crosby; the band were going to break the journey down to Canterbury in Birmingham (Simon N playfully suggested Bootle - about 2 miles from the Civic Hall!)

Hopefully, they'll have got up to Worcester for the last show of the tour.  

Thanks to Ashley, Kellie and the 2 Simons (and the crew) for an excellent evening - my Mum thoroughly enjoyed her Xmas present.

(Added bonus was geting home to discover that Everton had won 2-1 at Man City!!)

Flobbadob!
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »

Yes, very glad to hear that they made it, which is a much better performance than we could manage!  Got stuck in Canterbury, on Saturday, for 4 hours (whole city sliding and wheel spinning to a standstill) plus another 1.5 hour extremely slow, slodgy  journey home.  So very reluctantly, we decided not to attempt it.  Such a shame....was really looking forward to it  Sad   That's 3 gigs missed in the last couple of months!  "Enough now snow...please depart!"  

I have to agree with KM, an absolutely fantastic show and Simons guitar playing was indeed breathtaking, and we were entertained with new jokes!  Really sorry you missed it Mags, was looking forward to seeing you again.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »

You will be glad to know that the Albions made it safely to Canterbury to deliver an excellent show of seasonal songs, readings, dances and more.  It was a meritable blend of folk, folk rock, wit and silliness.  Also some breathtaking acoustic guitar!!!

Your absence was noted ........... by none other than Ashley himself Wink  Not really!  Grin  He commented on the fair few empty seats which had been sold but were unoccupied due to the weather conditions.  

We had no trouble driving from Chelmsford and decided to go into Canterbury for a bite to eat.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  SLIP SLIDING AWAY!!!  And I was driving, having opted for the outgoing journey.  We got to the Gulbenkian with minutes to spare!  Sorry you missed it - it was a great concert!  (I'm not helping, am I? Roll Eyes)
Mag T

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:18 PM »

You will be glad to know that the Albions made it safely to Canterbury to deliver an excellent show of seasonal songs, readings, dances and more.  It was a meritable blend of folk, folk rock, wit and silliness.  Also some breathtaking acoustic guitar!!!

Your absence was noted ........... by none other than Ashley himself Wink  Not really!  Grin  He commented on the fair few empty seats which had been sold but were unoccupied due to the weather conditions.  

We had no trouble driving from Chelmsford and decided to go into Canterbury for a bite to eat.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  SLIP SLIDING AWAY!!!  And I was driving, having opted for the outgoing journey.  We got to the Gulbenkian with minutes to spare!  Sorry you missed it - it was a great concert!  (I'm not helping, am I? Roll Eyes)

No, not really helping  Smiley  but am very glad to hear that you all had a good time.  Canterbury has certainly been an ice-bound city, over the past few days, not a happy place for cars or their inmates.......my bladder is still traumatised from Saturday!
Mag T

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »

I have to agree with KM, an absolutely fantastic show and Simons guitar playing was indeed breathtaking, and we were entertained with new jokes!  Really sorry you missed it Mags, was looking forward to seeing you again.

I was wondering if you would be there Angela, sorry to have missed you, sounds as though it was a brilliant evening.  I guess the next one may be in February....the infamous Tunbridge Wells perhaps?   Smiley
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »

Hopefully, they'll have got up to Worcester for the last show of the tour.  

Indeed they did.... Smiley
Well worth the bit of snow and ice which we encountered on the way across from Stratford and, quite honestly, our trip was insignificant compared with the Band's round trip from Crosby via Canterbury.

And Worcester isn't actually the last show of the tour as they're off to Bradford tonight to fill in for a cancelled Waterson/Carthy gig.

The lovely warm greeting from Ashley as we walked in set the tone for the whole show. Some brilliant songs (quite a few new ones and some old favourites - The River and January Man were superb), great readings and Simon's Christmas pudding recipe....one has to admire his bladder control if nothing else. And in the perfect position in row 3 to catch the egg thrown by Simon C. after his blindfold Morris.

You know you've had a really enjoyable evening when you are still smilling the following day....thanks again to the chaps and Kellie.

S&J
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

A picture from Crosby

StephenGiles

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »

A still from a camera movie

[attachment deleted by admin]
StephenGiles

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »

My picture was at Hailsham of course.

I still don't have the edit button even directly after posting Cry
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »

Bit late now, but we were at the Canterbury show and it was indeed very good, but a bit disappointed that Mr. N didn't stop by the merch table at all... it's always nice to have a full set of signatures on the CD cover Wink
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »

You must have just missed him as he was definitely there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: