TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambivalent views on Fairport songs: Will Tims is a wuss...  (Read 18899 times)
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« on: March 12, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »

Red and Gold. Great tune, well sung, magnificently played. The words send shivers down the spine. I've never heard it played at Cropredy as the sun goes down but hope to.

And yet...on a day when there would be a lot of activity about, and his fellow villagers a bit apprehensive to say the least, Will doesn't protect the crops or drive cows to the byre. He performs a bit of gentle topiary on a hedge and cuts his finger. He then hides under the hedge and watches the two armies knock five bells out of each other. Then amid the screams of the dying, all he thinks about is his bloody finger. And wakes up dreaming of the slaughter, but is once again relieved that it's only his finger. Get a grip Will...
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »

That bloke at the Hiring Fair was rubbish, wasn't he. But he still got what he wanted in the end. Maybe there's a lesson in that  Wink

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »

That bloke at the Hiring Fair was rubbish, wasn't he. But he still got what he wanted in the end. Maybe there's a lesson in that  Wink

But he was the strong (I swung harder with my scythe) silent (few words between us spoke) type. The ones us girls are always being told to "watch" ....  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

Can't help feeling Wat Tyler should have been a bit more politically aware, he should have seen what was coming to him to be honest! (Great idea for a thread)

Happy mainly.
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »

Does it not seem that Matty Groves deserved all he got. Bad enough he was caught with her ladyship but did he have to be so damn cocky about it Wink Poor Lord Arnold (or whatever)

rachel
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:04:34 PM »

I feel a bit sorry for Matty.  I think he was in a no-win situation.  If he had snubbed her ladyship he would have paid.  As it was, he had a bit of fun before he copped it.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:25:15 AM »

I feel a bit sorry for Matty.  I think he was in a no-win situation.  If he had snubbed her ladyship he would have paid.  As it was, he had a bit of fun before he copped it.

Serves him right for going to sleep afterwards Grin
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:28:18 AM »

Matty groves goes to show how devious and whimsical women reallyare.

although I do love them as much as the next..........misogynist
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »

But why didn't he go for the head shot? You can do a lot of damage with a good beaten sword.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
RichardH

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »

Oh yes. I forgot about the bloke at the hiring fair. These are Victorian agricultural labourers. "My trembling fingers touched her hand" indeed. Jane Austen is more raunchy...

And old Tam Lin made a bit of a meal of the escape plan didn't he.
Sir Tom

Loc: Manchester (Term Time) Scarborough (home)

me at BEACHED 2006 (www.beached.net)

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »

Oh yes. I forgot about the bloke at the hiring fair. These are Victorian agricultural labourers. "My trembling fingers touched her hand" indeed. Jane Austen is more raunchy...

And old Tam Lin made a bit of a meal of the escape plan didn't he.

He got out though!

Although he did have to do a top gear analysis of the horses first!

I aint riding on no brown steed!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »

Prince Albert's response to the guy in The Deserter has always worried me...

Here's an unreliable guy who legs it at every available opportunity. Alright, he shouldn't have been in the army in the first place, but still, he wants out. Even though he is treated badly by everyone; betrayed by true loves, flogged, etc then threatened with death, these things haven't deterred him from trying to run away.

Now here's the dodgy bit. Prince Albert comes along and says "Let Him Free!" "He'll make a fine soldier for his Queen and Country!"

No!

No he won't!

Albert, sort yourself out. He's run away twice! He is a lousy soldier and he'll go on being a lousy soldier!

Set him free by all means. Let him be a gardener or something. Give him a job where other people don't have to rely on him, just don't make him a soldier for crying out loud!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 12:29:09 PM »

Prince Albert's response to the guy in The Deserter has always worried me...

Here's an unreliable guy who legs it at every available opportunity. Alright, he shouldn't have been in the army in the first place, but still, he wants out. Even though he is treated badly by everyone; betrayed by true loves, flogged, etc then threatened with death, these things haven't deterred him from trying to run away.

Now here's the dodgy bit. Prince Albert comes along and says "Let Him Free!" "He'll make a fine soldier for his Queen and Country!"

No!

No he won't!

Albert, sort yourself out. He's run away twice! He is a lousy soldier and he'll go on being a lousy soldier!

Set him free by all means. Let him be a gardener or something. Give him a job where other people don't have to rely on him, just don't make him a soldier for crying out loud!

Cheers

Nick

This only goes to prove the old maxim that someone with pointy metal jewellery through unmentionable parts of anatomy almost NEVER makes correct, or even coherent, decisions.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »

And what about poor old Sir Patrick Spens?  

That King - great judge of character, isn't he?  Not only doesn't he know who his best sailors are (doh! how about someone in the fleet?) but listens to a "bonny boy".  Now they know all the best sailors don't they!  On top of that, Sir Patrick admits he's not a good sailor but then compounds this by saying he never intends to be one.  And still the King sends him.

Prat.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »

And then there's Jack Orion - for all his reputed talent on the violin, it seems the man has few morals.  Admittedly his manservant Tom did manage to shag some bit of posh instead of him, but I think stringing the wee lad up is just a little OTT.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »

But why didn't he go for the head shot? You can do a lot of damage with a good beaten sword.

If only "For you have two long beaten swords, and I have a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world" had scanned, the outcome would have been very different (and the song shorter).

Great idea for a thread.....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »

On top of that, Sir Patrick admits he's not a good sailor but then compounds this by saying he never intends to be one.  And still the King sends him.

Prat.

I thought that was the point? Politics and all that, and poor Sir Pat was the fall guy?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

On top of that, Sir Patrick admits he's not a good sailor but then compounds this by saying he never intends to be one.  And still the King sends him.

Prat.

I thought that was the point? Politics and all that, and poor Sir Pat was the fall guy?

Simon's very words at St Albans last week.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »

- But I'm very glad it's back in the repertoir!
RichardH

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

Contemporary album material:

In addition to having limited personnel selection skills, the privateer's captain does not have much common sense when it comes to sea battle strategy: one of His Majesty's finest frigates is overrunning you by a considerable margin and lays into you with considerably better firepower. Resistance is futile.

And Polly (on the shore, you think) is not really going to care, is she?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: