TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:45:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Time Favourite Fairport Songs or Albums  (Read 35196 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

I think what puts me off is the 60s style dull muffled sound quality, and the utter lack of energy all of the songs have. Compare the L&L version of Matty and the one I heard in St Albans 2 days ago and you see what I mean. Sandy's reading seems almost indifferent to the story being told, while Simon sings it with a fiery anger. To me they just don't compare.

I so don't agree.  With Sandy (and Richard) the band had flair, panache and were dripping in originality.  I don't hear anything sounding muffled on Liege & Lief (by the way, have you got the remaster?) - but I do hear depth and mystery and quality.  With Simon singing Matty Groves, it just sounds much more....ordinary to me.  Sandy didn't need to bark it out with 'fiery anger' - she was more subtle than that.

I have to say that I love Simon as a master of ceremonies, as a guitar player, as a team player, as an engineer, but I've never been convinced by him as a singer.  Sorry.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »

I prefer Simon singing Matty Groves but Sandy on The Deserter.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 09:10:38 PM »

I just don't really like the L&L version of The Deserter anyway, I find it dreary and quite boring.  Sleepy My ffavourite track og L&L is The Lark In The Moring medley.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »

I agree that Matty Groves on the current tour is really brilliant! Would love to have a recording of it.
I'm obviously in the lucky position of liking both voices! I love all of Liege and Lief (apart from Renardine, which puts me to sleep).
I don't (as yet) have any of the albums between Nine and OTNH. My favourite songs are Banks of the Sweet Primroses, Now Be Thankful, Sloth, Western Wind and Breakfast in Mayfair.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »

Aha! Sloth......(now don't get me started)

Is there anyone out there who dislikes it as much as I do?

(Gower Flower dons flak jacket and steel helmet and prepares to repel all boarders.)

Oops! Just noticed that this is about All Time Favourites! LOL!

Faves include The Journeyman's Grace, A Sailor's Life, Now Be Thankful, Rosie and others too numerous to mention.

But Sloth? No thanks Tongue

That's not dirt, it's patination!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

Oh for goodness sake, any right minded soul knows its Babbacombe Lee. Conversation ended, and I'm off to the Hancock Arms via the car park for anyone who doesn't agree.  Tongue Kiss

First drink on whoever gets there first  Wink Grin Grin

I agree that Matty Groves on the current tour is really brilliant! Would love to have a recording of it.

Can I have a recording of the whole gig please, and off the sound board  Smiley Just a thought and suggestion for the chaps if/when you read this.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »

Faves include A Sailor's Life

Well..... to take an opposite (& slightly obsessive) view, I actually have a playlist on my Ipod comprised entirely of umpteen versions of Sloth. It lasts most of the day and never gets boring! Fantastic!

On the other hand, I'm not keen on A Sailor's Life, though I prefer the non Swarb version on Watching The Dark. Heresy I know. Tongue
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »

Well..... to take an opposite (& slightly obsessive) view, I actually have a playlist on my Ipod comprised entirely of umpteen versions of Sloth. It lasts most of the day and never gets boring! Fantastic!

It's not just me then  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »

Picture the scene..  

a hot July night in 1979

a huge marquee on the lawns of Thoresby Hall (Google it if you haven't been there)

Fairport comprising of SN, DP, BR and SWARB

Playing a brilliant set.. but the best bit was...

SLOTH..  it was hauntingly beautiful as the sun set over the hall and the trees..  it was eerie, beautiful, and has remained in my ears ever since..  I have never heard it sound as good as on that night..  mainly the fiddle bits, so quite different to when played with RT .. but just amazingly magical!! ( I believe my firstborn was conceived that night too  Wink )

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »

Faves include  A Sailor's Life,

I never really like A Sailor's Life. It's just boring.  Sleepy Then I saw the version on It All Comes Round Again with June Tabor singing it. It was AWFUL!!!  Shocked  Sad  I couldn't understand anything that she was singing and she was out of tune. Although saying all of this, the instrumental improvisation is good.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
rachel

not a llama

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »

Yup, always think 'well thats 10 -15 minutes of my life i won't get back'  Angry when it's played and feel annoyed that at least two songs that i would have enjoyed have been left out to make way for it.
Favourites include Genesis Hall, Crazy Man Michael, Hiring Fair, John Gaudie and Tam Lin

rachel
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

Yup, always think 'well thats 10 -15 minutes of my life i won't get back'  >:(when it's played and feel annoyed that at least two songs that i would have enjoyed have been left out to make way for it.

Only two? Clearly that's the problem. That's not a long enough version at all! Four or five songs length at least. Follow it up with Bring Em Down & One More Chance and that is pretty much the whole of a Saturday night Cropredy set sorted! Wink Grin Grin Grin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »

I never really like A Sailor's Life. It's just boring.  Sleepy Then I saw the version on It All Comes Round Again with June Tabor singing it. It was AWFUL!!!  Shocked  Sad  I couldn't understand anything that she was singing and she was out of tune. Although saying all of this, the instrumental improvisation is good.

i love a sailors life but only the sandy/unhalfbricking version
i completely agree about June(couldnt carry a tune in a bucket) Tabors version although the band are completely exempted from any blame as they were excellent, badly let down by the diva
 have i mentioned this before?

The Dude abides
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

Yup, always think 'well thats 10 -15 minutes of my life i won't get back'  >:(when it's played and feel annoyed that at least two songs that i would have enjoyed have been left out to make way for it.

Only two? Clearly that's the problem. That's not a long enough version at all! Four or five songs length at least. Follow it up with Bring Em Down & One More Chance and that is pretty much the whole of a Saturday night Cropredy set sorted! Wink Grin Grin Grin

A man after my own heart.

Can we have 'Bonny Bunch of Roses' as an encore please...

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »

i love a sailors life but only the sandy/unhalfbricking version
i completely agree about June(couldnt carry a tune in a bucket) Tabors version although the band are completely exempted from any blame as they were excellent, badly let down by the diva
 have i mentioned this before?

I quite like June Tabor, but whenever she sings outdoors, she's consistently flat by a tone or so. None of her Cropredys exactly covered her with glory, but at the (indoors of course) Big Session last year she was magical.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
mikeatlargue

Loc: Aberdeenshire

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »

(Gower Flower dons flak jacket and steel helmet and prepares to repel all boarders.)

Oops! Just noticed that this is about All Time Favourites! LOL!

Faves include The Journeyman's Grace, A Sailor's Life, Now Be Thankful, Rosie and others too numerous to mention.

What heresy! (just joking!) Sloth is my all-time favourite and for me it's what the band's all about. The music is what matters, the musicianship, the virtuoso playing, creating a mood.............
It's what sets FC apart from other bands.
But do we separate into two camps. Those who like the songs and those for whom the music is most important?
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »

Picture the scene..  

SLOTH..  it was hauntingly beautiful as the sun set over the hall and the trees..  it was eerie, beautiful.

I am certain the environment in which you heard it helped a lot Jen. But sitting in your bog standing living room.....no thanks Tongue

mikeatlargue

Loc: Aberdeenshire

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »

Sloth is a track to lose yourself in. Put on your headphones, perhaps a glass of wine. turn the lights off and.................
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »

Sloth is a track to lose yourself in. Put on your headphones, perhaps a glass of wine. turn the lights off and.................

Okay Mike.....BRING ON THE WINE Grin Cool

Back OT.....I second PLW's track suggestion...."Autopsy" A fabulous track in my view, always a favourite and unlike anything else that Fairport ever recorded, in my opinion. Stunning. Grin

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »

Whose living room are you calling a bog!!  Shocked Shocked

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: