TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allan Taylor & a Fairport Connection?  (Read 5011 times)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« on: May 12, 2006, 10:30:06 AM »

I am ashamed to say, having read this interview, that until recently I had not heard of Allan Taylor  Huh  and was interested to read of his connection with the early Fairport Sandy/Swarb etc..

http://www.triste.co.uk/at.htm

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:56:04 AM »

I am ashamed to say, having read this interview, that until recently I had not heard of Allan Taylor  Huh  and was interested to read of his connection with the early Fairport Sandy/Swarb etc..

http://www.triste.co.uk/at.htm

Hi JJ

I caught on to Allan in the 70s and then lost sight of him till he turned up at St Neots a couple of years ago.  I did a few songs in support and we hit it off pretty well ever since - he's been very supportive with my new CD.  Lovely guy, and as he's got older, the subject matter of the songs and the voice have deepened and darkened.  He's hugely popular on the continent and it's reflected in his writing.  There's a very European sensibility and he fits well into chanson and troubadour environments.  The most recent CD Hotels and Dreamers is very representative.  He also does a songs and readings show based on the life and writings of Jack Kerouac which is well worth catching as well as his live act.

Very well worth following up.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »

Thanks for that JJ: that explains a lot!!
As a youngster in Brighton in the late 60s 'Spud' was a great favourite, and I remember some of those nights when Swarb and Martin Carthy played the sweaty upstairs rooms with immense nostalgia.
Apart form a couple of passing mentions and a guest appearance I had completely lost sight of him, but will now have my antennae out!! - perhaps fill a couple of crevices in my CD collection...
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:07:26 AM »

The first time I ever saw Fairport (October 1970, De Montfort Hall, Leicester), the support acts were Roger Ruskin Spear and His Giant Kinetic Wardrobe; and Allan Taylor. Two support acts! Ah, those were the days.

Changed my life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: