TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:13:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy Denny box set  (Read 123061 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

Track details of some of the "key highlights" here:
http://island50.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DII-5658-5-sandy+denny++limited+edition+box+set.html
(follow link to "more info on track details")

has the framed print edition sold out?

Don't think so. Try this: http://island50.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DII-5635-5-sandy+denny+premium+limited+edition+box+set.html

Looking at these Island50 pages again, I see they've now put up the provisional track listing ("more info on studio recordings", "more info on bonus recordings").

I am taking the "Unreleased" tag with a pinch of salt as much of this material was either included on the original remasters or has been available elsewhere. I think what they mean is that the tracks were unreleased at the time of original issue, not that they have never previously seen the light of day.

I'm still thinking about this set. It does represent about 80% duplication of stuff I have already.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »

It does represent about 80% duplication of stuff I have already.

I very much doubt that, GubGub. The tracks that have previously appeared as bonus tracks on reissues of her albums are nearly all on the first 11 discs. On the 8 other discs, as I understand it, "unissued" means unissued -- newly sourced from the original master reels.

Another unissued track gets its debut on the Radcliffe and Maconie show, Radio 2, Wednesday night. A mystery song. Listeners' help needed to identify it. Read more here:
http://sandydenny.blogspot.com/2010/07/mystery-song.html

Philip
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:28:44 PM by pemward » Logged

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »

It does represent about 80% duplication of stuff I have already.

I very much doubt that, GubGub. The tracks that have previously appeared as bonus tracks on reissues of her albums are nearly all on the first 11 discs. On the 8 other discs, as I understand it, "unissued" means unissued -- newly sourced from the original master reels.

Another unissued track gets its debut on the Radcliffe and Maconie show, Radio 2, Wednesday night. A mystery song. Listeners' help needed to identify it. Read more here:
http://sandydenny.blogspot.com/2010/07/mystery-song.html

Philip

Fair enough. It is not terribly clear from the website/
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »

Despite my initial mutterings & grumblings, I just pre-ordered it, as I always new I would.
I'm calling it a birthday pressie to myself, as it's released just a few days after my birthday.
Philip W

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/gallery/2010/jul/21/sandy-denny

Preview of a few photos from the box. A couple of them previously unpublished, I think.

Mark Lavallee
n3wb

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »

The Island site has a partial tracklist, looks very interesting.  I wonder, will it include the recently released Fotheringay 2 album?  Or The Bunch album?  It is supposed to have "everything" after all!

I did break down and pre-order it.  Won't be charged until it ships, now I'm just hoping the exchange rate doesn't change for the worse!
Philip W

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »

The Island site has a partial tracklist, looks very interesting.  I wonder, will it include the recently released Fotheringay 2 album?  Or The Bunch album?  

The tracks from The Bunch (the five she sings on) are listed as being on 'Studio Recordings' CD6.

Big Martin

Loc: Bristol UK

Old Re-enactor

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

I'm so tempted but I've got a lot of this already, I think. Perhaps if I'm feeling well off some time...

There's a heart in every place.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »

I just wanted to preorder, but they want  £ 21.00 postage from England to germany......no way.
Mark Lavallee
n3wb

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »

Amazon.co.uk are only charging me £ 3.08 to ship it to Los Angeles!  Also the price I was charged was £127.65 not the £149.99 that is listed.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Amazon.co.uk are only charging me £ 3.08 to ship it to Los Angeles!  Also the price I was charged was £127.65 not the £149.99 that is listed.

Bargain!  I assume the price must have dropped to that figure at some juncture and that you´re reaping the rewards of their preorder best price policy....?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »

I thought it might be that they take off the VAT for a non EU order?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »

I thought it might be that they take off the VAT for a non EU order?

Oh, right!

Jules

Philip W

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »

Release date has been revised to November 1st, apparently.

There are associated articles in Uncut (October issue - by the dependable Rob Young) and Shindig! (Sep/Oct issue, Andy Morten). Both are already out. More press coverage to come, I confidently predict.  Wink

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »

There are associated articles in Uncut (October issue - by the dependable Rob Young)

The Uncut article is substantial - all Sandy fans need to pick up the new issue.

Jules

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 09:17:59 AM »

Latest news on this, pasted from fRoots forum.

Sandy Denny
Universal Music: November 1st 2010
19 CD Box Set.

Universal Music is pleased to announce the full track listing and final packaging for the much anticipated, strictly limited edition 19 CD box set, simply titled Sandy Denny. 11 of the CDs feature Sandy's complete commercial recordings with Alex Campbell, Johnny Silvo, Fotheringay, Strawbs, Fairport Convention and solo with additional content; outtakes, demos and live recordings. There are 8 further CDs of bonus material; unreleased songs, demos, unreleased BBC recordings, alternate takes, live recordings, acoustic versions, and rare radio interviews. In all, there are over 100 unreleased versions of Sandy’s recordings of which 64 are studio takes, 25 demos and 14 live recordings.

Highlights of the new material include;

· Three unreleased songs: the long lost traditional song ‘Lord Bateman‘, pencilled in for her first solo album, The North Star Grassman and The Ravens.
· An unidentified track ‘Ethusel‘ from her early pre-Fairport Convention solo career.
· 12th of Never, recorded for an unspecified Granada project, this abbreviated version of the song was never attempted again.

The alternate takes include;

· Acoustic masters of ‘Fotheringay’ and ‘She Moved Through The Fair‘.
· A solo version of ‘Mr Lacey‘;
· ‘Blackwaterside’ with Richard Thompson, working out the arrangement of this traditional song, performed here without overdubs;
· the original duet of ‘The Way I Feel’ from Fotheringay;
· Unstrung alternate versions of songs from Like An Old Fashioned Waltz,
· Original masters and outtakes from Rendezvous including ‘Gold Dust‘,
· Her very last recording, an acoustic version of 'Moments'.

Unreleased demos include;

· A superb series of studio demos from throughout Denny's solo career with tracks from Fotheringay, Northstar Grassman, Like An Old Fashioned Waltz, Rendezvous and the entire Sandy album.
· A series of recordings made at home between 1966-68, restored in the main from the master reels including her first version of ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes?‘, performed in quite a different manner to previously released versions, and many other self penned, traditional and contemporary songs not recorded in the studio.

· Demos recorded at Sandy's home in Byfield between 1974-77 restored from the master reels including her final home demo 'Makes Me Think of You', which was also her last original composition. The lyrics (reproduced in this set) to the song are the final entry in her notebook.

Other highlight include;

· The first release of Sandy's live performance with Fairport Convention at the LA Troubadour in 1974, mixed from the master reels. These dates mark the only time Sandy ever performed ‘Crazy Lady Blues’ and ‘She Moved Through The Fair’ live with the 1974 Fairport line up, and the only time they performed Dylan’s Knocking on Heavens Door.
· First time on CD for Sandy's tracks from the Swedish Fly Girls soundtrack, produced by Manfred Mann.

The full track listing and more complete descriptions of the unreleased recordings is available on request.

The set is lavishly packaged and features all new artwork. Each CD is housed in an individual gatefold digipak sleeve and comes in a beautiful box packed full of memorabilia including;

· 72 page hardback book containing rare and unseen photos
· A reproduction of one of her notebooks containing handwritten lyrics of some of her best know compositions and many unrecorded songs.
· Extensive biography and annotations to key new tracks found in the Island archive
· Reproduction of a rare A2 colour promo poster for Northstar Grassman and the Ravens
· Copy of the receipt for her first piano
· Copy of an original Island press kit containing press release and 4 press shots for Like An Old Fashioned Waltz
· A collection of bound postcards of never before seen photographs
· Interviews and tributes from artists such as Richard Thompson, Judy Collins, John Renbourn, Bob Harris, Robert Plant, Bill Drummond, Marc Almond, Lee Ranaldo, Rachel Unthank and Jon Boden

A second edition, limited to 100 sets, is available only from the Island 50 web store.
It comes with a framed print of the artwork, signed by the artist, Phil Smee, and
individually addressed to each purchaser.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Dave Brzeski

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

I, like a few others here, have it on pre-order, but has anyone gone for the limited edition with the signed print? If I remember rightly, it's about £30 more than the standard edition.

Another thing I'd really like to know is, are there any tracks on the recent 'All Our Own Work' remaster, which are not available on the box set, or elsewhere, because Sandy isn't singing on them?
Philip W

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »

Another thing I'd really like to know is, are there any tracks on the recent 'All Our Own Work' remaster, which are not available on the box set, or elsewhere, because Sandy isn't singing on them?

Yes, plenty: http://www.strawbsweb.co.uk/@f/f_all10.htm
At a quick count, tracks 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 19-24.

Dave Brzeski

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:14 AM »

B*gg*r. More expense!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

B*gg*r. More expense!

i rather thought that would save you the expense as you wont have to hear Cousin's awful singing

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: