TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:13:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb's solo gigs 2010  (Read 3366 times)
MikeA

Loc: Somerset Levels

Long strange trips are good...

« on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »

I was really pleased to see that Swarb's playing some solo concerts in January/February 2010 (one of which I can get to) - thing is, I can't ever remember seeing him unaccompanied, despite frequent attendance at gigs where he's been a major participant alongside serious talents like Martin Carthy, Kevin Dempsey, Maart, Fairport et al.

Marvellous to see he can take on such a commitment in the light of his recent health issues, but I'm interested as to the type of set he can deliver - will he be playing a straight fiddle performance or is his voice sufficiently restored to provide vocal accompaniment??

Hope this isn't construed as insensitive/ignorant - I'll be there anyway - just curious as to what to expect...

Cheers!
Undecided

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »

At a Cardiff solo gig last year, the audience were treated to a wonderful fiddle performance heavily interspersed with hilarious anecdotes.  Grin  He did sing, but at that time only the one song "Kennedy and Kennedy and Martin Luther King".

You'll  have a great time Mike. Please post in here afterwards and tell us all about it.  Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:04:53 AM »

I saw him at the Half Moon in October (?). Not a very big crowd, but the man was in great form, wise words, incredible learning and great musicianship along with his deep love of the music and of performing. The fact that not many people turned out must have been depressing, but he took it with nothing more than a "thanks for coming, next time bring your friends and family". A great night. He didn't sing by the way.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:20 AM »

He was in superb form at Ely at the beginning of December  Grin - he was as jaypeter described him previously.

Just fantastic Grin - go and see him. You'll enjoy it!

No matter how many times I hear the story about the lemons, it's delivered with such aplomb that it always makes me giggle Cheesy

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: