TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:41:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport/Cropredy BBC4??  (Read 111210 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »

Maybe Martin had this conversation with Hart prior to his joining SS; or maybe the conversation took place long after the release of L&L.

It must have been the latter, but Carthy said something like 'when I was in Steeleye' which added to the confusion.  The main problem was that it was just shown out of sequence as the narration had Ashley leaving after Martin had joined Steeleye which clearly wasn't right...

It may have been a conversation they both had in Steeleye, and the comment badly edited into the timeline by the makers. Certainly it stood out like a sore thumb as part of "the establishment criticism of L&L"

I think most likely it is just an example of the fallible memory of musicians, which is a pretty common trait. Probably not limited to musicians for that matter. Who amongst us can remember the exact details of a conversation we had 40 years ago and where and when we had it?
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »

Have to say Ric came across very well, my wife also commented on it, he was very humble, even as a huge swarb fan, I still believe he is an unbelievably good violinist, who brings his own style, and though it is not always my cup of tea, you cannot deny the mans talent. Both times he had the oppportunity he doffed his cap to the superior talents (as he saw them) of Swarb and Chris Leslie.

I agree. Then again, as ex member of Soft Machine, he can do little wrong in my book!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »

Have to say Ric came across very well, my wife also commented on it, he was very humble, even as a huge swarb fan, I still believe he is an unbelievably good violinist, who brings his own style, and though it is not always my cup of tea, you cannot deny the mans talent. Both times he had the oppportunity he doffed his cap to the superior talents (as he saw them) of Swarb and Chris Leslie.

I agree. Then again, as ex member of Soft Machine, he can do little wrong in my book!

He didn't really make much of a contribution to Soft Machine, did he...he's only on the one live album and did a couple of tours in a band that was in it's death throes?

My favourite (by a country mile) Ric Sanders work is Rise Up Like the Sun, which might just very well be my very favourite true folk-rock album (which involves making a possibly strange argument that neither of Fairport's albums 2, 3 or 5 are undisputedly folk-rock and preferring it to L&L)

[Talking of which, it's 35 years since the album was released next year.  Please note, Cropredy organisers  Smiley  ]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:47:40 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

I [j]ust thought it lacked punch and verve - even in the uptempo stuff.

I have to agree.  If they'd only start by turning up Simon's electric guitar a couple of notches.  Peggy still seems game to give it some.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »

He didn't really make much of a contribution to Soft Machine, did he...he's only on the one live album and did a couple of tours in a band that was in it's death throes?

My favourite (by a country mile) Ric Sanders work is Rise Up Like the Sun, which might just very well be my very favourite true folk-rock album (which involves making a possibly strange argument that neither of Fairport's albums 2, 3 or 5 are undisputedly folk-rock and preferring it to L&L)

That maybe so, but it's an album I like a lot - it's a 'live' album, yes, but it's all new material as it was felt recording it live was a good way to get an album of live material out!

Rise up the like the Sun is a fantastic album.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Andy Cutts

Loc: South Leicestershire

Must remember, SMALL bag, BIG tent!

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »

Another fan of Rise Up Like The Sun here, I was singing along to Postman's Knock at Cropredy.  I'm not going to nit pick about Friday's Fairport night, I really enjoyed it all. The Cropredy documentary on Banbury Sound on Saturday was quite enjoyable too.  If this brings Fairport's music to a wider audience,then thanks, BBC4.  Take note Sky Arts.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »

If I had just stumbled in to this prog as a person who did not know fairports I would have  squirmed at some of the off key vocals not least Peggy on Celtic Moon. The presentation wa really low key and they have indeed become an acoustic band, with the exce[ption of Rics self indulgent solos Soz, i just don't think it did them any favours.
(Gets tin hat.........)
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »

Here's a text I received from a friend (who knows how much I like Fairport but is strictly a Take That girl  Embarrassed) late Friday night:

'Out of interest, I'm watching the Fairport evening on BBC4 - have never heard them before - the upbeat ones are great! Reminds me of the music we heard in Ireland last year. **** (her daughter, 12 yrs old) has just come down the stairs and said "What ARE you listening to??" Can't win 'em all...'

That's about as close to an independent review from someone who's never heard Fairport as I can offer. Reading between the lines, I think my friend is a convert...

Grin

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2012, 01:08:56 AM »

(her daughter, 12 yrs old) has just come down the stairs and said "What ARE you listening to??" Can't win 'em all...'

Grin

The day that parents and 12 year olds like each others music will be a sad day. My dad still does the 'is that a man or a woman ?' comment if he sees my old Bowie/Bolan etc when I'm watching them.

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »

A few inaccuracies apart, I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary, particularly the few seconds of my good self in the Cropredy crowd (though looking particularly serious - couldn't have been during a set of tunes Wink ), and I think I spotted Olly just a minute or two earlier (about the time Ralph was singing Around the Horn).  Another hour would have been even better, though.  Of the band, not me.

I also enjoyed the concert, but have to agree it came over a little restrained - but if it gets a few more converts, then that's fine by me.  

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »

There was nothing wrong as such with the concert it was just dull, possibly due to venue, editing and choice of material by the programme makers

The Dude abides
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »

and I think I spotted Olly just a minute or two earlier (about the time Ralph was singing Around the Horn).  

Around the Horn? - now that's something I'd like to see Fairport do a new concept album about... I can just see Peggy doing the 'Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy' bit (or have I missed something?!)  Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »

If I had just stumbled in to this prog as a person who did not know fairports I would have  squirmed at some of the off key vocals not least Peggy on Celtic Moon. The presentation wa really low key and they have indeed become an acoustic band, with the exce[ption of Rics self indulgent solos Soz, i just don't think it did them any favours.
(Gets tin hat.........)

Entirely agree about the concert.... sounded dreadful in places.  I don't know what system/formula was used to reproduce the sound, but it was the wrong one! (imho). Couldn't make out much of the instrumental sound....which is always brilliant... because most of the sound system seemed to be focussed on the mics with the singing voices, which gives totally the wrong sound balance, and thus the wrong overall impression.  It certainly didn't do them any favours!...such a shame!   (Think I found a similar thing when I watched the latest Cropredy transmission)  Thoroughly enjoyed the documentaries though, even if, as people have said here, perhaps they weren't 100% accurate....and loved the RT one, as I hadn't seen that before...although perhaps it would have been much improved if they could have stuck in an updated piece every now and then.
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »

(Gets tin hat.........)

Don’t know what I'm doing sticking my head above the parapet but as someone who doesn't really know Fairport, I really enjoyed it.

The only Fairport songs I know well are those written by Ralph.  I have one FC compilation CD and I can't remember what it's called  Roll Eyes  Of course as a Ralph aficionado I'm hardly likely to complain about an acoustic set and I'm not representative of the great mass of mainstream so called music fans.  I didn't expect the documentary to be complete, how can you ever squeeze 45 years into an hour, but it's a shame to read hear that there were many inaccuracies.  But back to the concert, I really enjoyed it and we even talked about going to Cropredy sometime ( talking about it is probably as far as we'll get  Roll Eyes )

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
Artyfarty
n3wb

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »

(Gets tin hat.........)

Peggy rendition of Celtic Moon put me in mind of Neil Young, which is absolutely fine by me  Smiley
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

(Gets tin hat.........)

Peggy rendition of Celtic Moon put me in mind of Neil Young, which is absolutely fine by me  Smiley

Indeed it is and I try very hard never to offend anyone on this site but try as I might I cannot make Peggy sound like Neil Young!!
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »

Peggy rendition of Celtic Moon put me in mind of Neil Young,

What?   Shocked

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »

(Gets tin hat.........)

Peggy rendition of Celtic Moon put me in mind of Neil Young
... as in, they both have singing voices that can't be described as mainstream ... ?
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »

...back to the concert, I really enjoyed it and we even talked about going to Cropredy sometime ( talking about it is probably as far as we'll get  Roll Eyes )

Naomi and you will love Cropredy, Carl, and so will the kids. 8 - 10 August next year...

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »

(Gets tin hat.........)

Indeed it is and I try very hard never to offend anyone on this site but try as I might I cannot make Peggy sound like Neil Young!!

Pegi and Neil are married aren't they?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: