TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:32:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport/Cropredy BBC4??  (Read 110476 times)
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »

And did Frank really say John Lee was "sentenced to life by hanging"?!!

Yep, he did.  

And it wasn't the first ever full performance of "Babbacombe Lee".  It wasn't even the first full performance at Cropredy.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »

I quite enjoyed the documentary despite the errors. It was inevitably compromised by its length. Even It All Comes Round Again missed out a few things and that was nearly twice as long with 25 years less history to cover. The definitive version is still to be made at a minimum of three hours I would guess but I suspect the audience for it would not justify the cost. And that is also why the BBC would never cover Cropredy. It is too parochial and reaches the wrong demographic. Audience figures would just not justify the investment.

Haven't watched the concert yet.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »

I thought it was a very good attempt to present a detailed story with virtually no source material. Probably the closest they can get to a silk purse given a sows ear.

Though I was puzzled why the Bouton Rouge footage was black and white, when the RT film had the same footage in colour.

And did Frank really say John Lee was "sentenced to life by hanging"?!!

Cheers

Nick
perhaps this was a quip on the fact that he didn't die rather than a mistake

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »

I thought the recent concert was OK,......  I thought the band all played well , but that it was somehow a little flat.  Once again I thought that they're badly in need of a strong and vibrant lead singer.  But some of the playing was absolutely first rate and spine tingling.  

I have to agree with Jules here.  Most of the instrumental work was indeed breathtaking.   However, some of the vocals, and in particular the harmonies, were all over the place.  It won't happen anytime soon, but they do need a different singer from somewhere I believe.

This is my personal opinion.    I'd better get that in, before everyone piles in with hate mail!   Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

Thought the concert was ok but it confirmed a suspicion about the Union Chapel... I've been to lots of gigs in there and enjoyed them all, I think it's a superb venue ... But ... I've never seen a film from there that's come out as anything other than 'a bit flat'. Probably not helped because audiences are often quiet and reverential - in awe of the building sometimes. It seems that the cameras never quite capture the resulting atmosphere.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

Sat through the 4 programmes (two 'live' and two recorded from last night) including the Folk at the BBC documentary with the lovely old footage of earnest types with pipes singing away.  I hadn't seen the RT documentary before, so that was interesting - particularly the honest contributions from Richard and Linda. The Fairport doc was also good in its way, but perhaps needed to be twice as long to do justice to the middle period Fairport and the post 1985 line up with Martin Alcock and DM.  However, as Dan O said, you don't often get a whole evening's Fairport related programming, so I'm thankful for that.

I enjoyed Frank's occasional glitch ('sentenced to life by hanging') he came over as a fan of the band, which can't be a bad thing  Wink

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »

And it wasn't the first ever full performance of "Babbacombe Lee".  It wasn't even the first full performance at Cropredy.

Excuse me while I'm really anal here and list my off the top of my head errors in the programme:

1) see Barry's above (I'm surprised nobody in the band put them right about this...it's there on wiki under Fairport's Cropredy Convention Appearances)

2) Peggy joined in '69, not '70 (It's in his wiki entry and on the FC official page)

3) StdP was not their only TotP appearance (I'll admit I only discovered this the other week when reading about Angel Delight).

4) Frank stated as fact something like 'for the first 5 years after they split up in '79, Cropredy was the only time they played together'...It wasn't - they toured every year in the UK, twice in the US as well as some performances in Europe I think. (again, I find it bizarre this wasn't pointed out.  I often hear this repeated as fact - often by the band members themselves.  Strange.)

5) There was some bizarre linear time confusions caused by the Carthy bit where he talked about listening to L&L with Tim Hart when in Steeleye and trying to convince him how good it was, when according to the timeline as presented by the docu, Tyger hadn't even left Fairport at that point!

If I'd been really paying attention (I gave up a little about half way through) there may have been more.  Does it matter?  I suppose not, except to sad old gits like me.  Does accurate history ever matter?  I'd argue it does...

I think the main guilt though is one of omission...the 1971-mid 90's bands were woefully treated.

As for the recent gig shown afterwards...I was surprised how much I enjoyed parts of it...It's taken me well over a quarter of a century but, at times, I really enjoy hearing Ric play.  I'm afraid I still sort of wish it wasn't in Fairport, but that's my problem, not theirs.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

I was surprised how much I enjoyed parts of it...It's taken me well over a quarter of a century but, at times, I really enjoy hearing Ric play.  I'm afraid I still sort of wish it wasn't in Fairport, but that's my problem, not theirs.  

I feel pretty much the same and know exactly what you mean.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »

I was surprised how much I enjoyed parts of it...It's taken me well over a quarter of a century but, at times, I really enjoy hearing Ric play.  I'm afraid I still sort of wish it wasn't in Fairport, but that's my problem, not theirs.  

I feel pretty much the same and know exactly what you mean.

Jules

Interesting though to get the perspective from the band during the documentary that new members are often brought in specifically not to be the person they have replaced, hence Ric's very different style from Swarb's and Chris replacing Maart. Also interesting if a little disappointing to hear Chris admit that he has consciously steered the band in a more acoustic direction and for Peggy to confirm (again) that this is a style that they are now comfortable with. So I guess we can't expect the return of electric guitars anytime soon.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »

So I guess we can't expect the return of electric guitars anytime soon.

I don't think there's been much chance of that for 15 years really.  Guess we'll have to wait for Fairport to do an 'Albion Band' on us and go all 'Next Generation' before that happens.  I can see that happening somewhere down the line... With any luck someone will wheel me along from the Old Folk's home to see it.  I can wear my my 80's Cropredy t-shirts as a bib....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

5) There was some bizarre linear time confusions caused by the Carthy bit where he talked about listening to L&L with Tim Hart when in Steeleye and trying to convince him how good it was, when according to the timeline as presented by the docu, Tyger hadn't even left Fairport at that point! 
I might be wrong, but I always thought Ashley was doing double duty near the end of the L&L recording sessions, with SS unofficially forming some time before Ashley's official departure from FC. I'm not sure where I got that impression but it does nothing to lend credence to Martin's memory of that event. SS had already been in official existence (having released HtVW) well before Martin was brought into the fold.
Maybe Martin had this conversation with Hart prior to his joining SS; or maybe the conversation took place long after the release of L&L.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

Have to say Ric came across very well, my wife also commented on it, he was very humble, even as a huge swarb fan, I still believe he is an unbelievably good violinist, who brings his own style, and though it is not always my cup of tea, you cannot deny the mans talent. Both times he had the oppportunity he doffed his cap to the superior talents (as he saw them) of Swarb and Chris Leslie.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »

Maybe Martin had this conversation with Hart prior to his joining SS; or maybe the conversation took place long after the release of L&L.

It must have been the latter, but Carthy said something like 'when I was in Steeleye' which added to the confusion.  The main problem was that it was just shown out of sequence as the narration had Ashley leaving after Martin had joined Steeleye which clearly wasn't right...

greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »

Enjoyed the documentary very much.

The Union Chapel gig was I thought very low key - Fairport in all their glory at Cropredy are a powerful musical force still - that gave the impression of a bunch on nice laid back geezers doing a few nice ttons. I don't expect leaping about the stage, that's not what I meant - I trust thought it lacked punch and verve - even in the uptempo stuff.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »

lords sake gents, it was what it was and none the worse for that. Just nice to see minority music on the TV. Three cheers for auntie beeb!!
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »

It must have been the latter, but Carthy said something like 'when I was in Steeleye' which added to the confusion.  The main problem was that it was just shown out of sequence as the narration had Ashley leaving after Martin had joined Steeleye which clearly wasn't right...

It may have been a conversation they both had in Steeleye, and the comment badly edited into the timeline by the makers. Certainly it stood out like a sore thumb as part of "the establishment criticism of L&L"

Viv G

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »

lords sake gents, it was what it was and none the worse for that. Just nice to see minority music on the TV. Three cheers for auntie beeb!!

well said FB Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »

well said FB Smiley

I couldn't agree more!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »

I'll have to disagree.  Yes it's great to have an evening of minority music on terrestrial TV but we have a right to have it researched properly and delivered accurately.  We get little enough of it, and it's not much to ask.  Anything else is second best.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »

well said FB Smiley

I couldn't agree more!!

Same here. If it brings the music to more people then that's brilliant.

Somehow dad managed to watch at his care home.....and thoroughly enjoyed them

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: