TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:15:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport/Cropredy BBC4??  (Read 110464 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »

Not the medley of their hit?!  Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »

Not bad effort,an hour was not long enough though.

Happy mainly.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

Well in an hour it's difficult to see how that could have been bettered.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

A few inaccuracies in the narration, but still pretty good.  Surprised they glossed over the Maart line up quite so much.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »

A few inaccuracies in the narration, but still pretty good.  Surprised they glossed over the Maart line up quite so much.
And the 'Nine' lineup, but maybe the important stuff was early on and Cropredy, even that misses out the second and third best albums.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »

Pretty good...smiled all the way through

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »

Very big smile...........
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »

I enjoyed it a lot Wink

I particularly liked Peggy's "I can't believe it's 45 years - it seems much longer" line.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »

It's good that the BBC woke up to what we all are aware of, and with such a long history they are not going to please us all (and they didn't) but fair play to them for having a go, as someone has already said, it's as good as you could expect in and hour. I don't think it was for me but if it makes more poeple aware of the vast catalogue of fantastic music, more power to them.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »

On the positive side: An hour long documentary about Fairport on mainstream free to air tv.  This is a good thing.

On the negative: riddled with inaccuracies (and plain falsehoods)...it glossed over vast sections of the history of the band: the second longest lineup in what, 30 seconds?; the Nine lineup barely featured, the RftM lineup in an aside.  It was ok on the first few years and good about the current lineup....everything else...mumble mumble.  An average introduction...nothing more.  A pity - there won't be many more opportunities.

I think the Thomo documentary narrated by Peel (on now) is a much better documentary with virtually the same early footage.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »

I thought it was a very good attempt to present a detailed story with virtually no source material. Probably the closest they can get to a silk purse given a sows ear.

Though I was puzzled why the Bouton Rouge footage was black and white, when the RT film had the same footage in colour.

And did Frank really say John Lee was "sentenced to life by hanging"?!!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 12:11:10 AM »

I'm with David, the RT doc is a slightly better telling of the early FC story (with the notable exception that Jude's in the new doc, Iain M's in the RT doc). And the song they chose to represent the Maart era - Travelling By Steam ? Not sure about that one...
I can understand glossing over details to fit into an hour, and that they couldn't bring up everyone on the roll call, but no mention at all of Jerry D, Trevor or Bruce ?
The Union Chapel concert, however, was superb even with a lack of MOTL, and a very nice mention for the Red Shoes of this parish too.
Seeing the RT doc again was very welcome and the much-missed Peel's narration gave it more cred than Mr Skinner. Still alarms me that the programme editors didn't spot Carthy's misquoting of MOTL "too many friends who DIED", especially when 20 seconds previously it cuts from RT himself singing the correct line "too many friends who TRIED" !
Overall, though, an evening of FC-related entertainment is a rare occurrence and a very good thing  Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »

Quite enjoyed the Fairport documentary - I wept whenever Sandy sang (how does she still manage to do that to me?!).  I thought the recent concert was OK, though I'd got it into my head that it was to be a Croppers gig, so felt a bit deflated that the likes of Jerry D, Swarb and RT weren't popping up all over the place.  I thought the band all played well (especially Peggy and Simon), but that it was somehow a little flat.  Once again I thought that they're badly in need of a strong and vibrant lead singer.  But some of the playing was absolutely first rate and spine tingling.  And the RT programme was fab, but I remembered a bit too much of it from the previous time I'd seen it.

God but I'm hard to please.   Wink

Jules

PS  Lovely to see our Jude on telly!

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »

not a lotwe didnt already know, quite a lot was glossed over or not mentioned
the nice thing for me was the "the man they coudnt hang" footage in pristine condition, so now we know its out there lets have it released

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »

the nice thing for me was the "the man they coudnt hang" footage in pristine condition, so now we know its out there lets have it released

Amen!

Jules

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »

Well, that was all very enjoyable.  Cheesy. Such a pleasure to see footage of Sandy. The concert was good, although I couldn't help feeling that the singing voices were not in tip top condition...... Lips Sealed

My favourite bits of the concert were John Gaudie and Danny Jack's Reward. A bit of a Ric fan? Moi?  Wink

I loved the Richard Thompson prog, because I had never seen it before. Slightly weird to listen to the dulcet tones of John Peel though.  Sad

I also watched the programme which followed. This contained clips of Pentangle, Steeleye Span, and Bert Jansch, among others. The best bit was a clip of Richard Thompson. It followed a clip of Donovan singing "Hurdy Gurdy Man". Talk about chalk and cheese............ Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 06:09:13 AM »

Well BBC, you've done it, and now I find myself wondering more than ever why BBC don't do the Cropredy TV coverage. I noticed they even remixed the sound from the Sky footage of Cropredy '11. It did seem a bit odd that an awful lot of history was skimmed over, but the footage used in this program, both new and archive, made it all so worth it.

Am I right in saying that the union chapel was the last night of the tour? I agree that the voices, particularly Chris', were a little bit flat, but then when I saw the chaps at Milton Keynes just a couple of weeks before Simon, Peggy and Kieran were all suffering from the sniffles, so it probably also caught up with Chris, hence why he was avoiding the high notes. Overall the concert footage was also enjoyable.

I stayed for the RT program, which I also found very informative and entertaining.  

Imponderable Joy
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

I'll risk saying that I do have a direct recording of the digital transmission. (That is the data as broadcast on satellite). However it is 3.5GB.
It looks like it was transmitted at 4Mb/s, which is quite good.

I could encode that to a smaller file, but with a big loss in quality.  

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »

That was the best Friday night's telly ever...

I thought the first programme was fab..  Though wished they had said more about the Maart era,
And that they had chosen one of the rockier songs of Maart's time (I never Did like Travelling by Steam).

The Union Chapel gig was fab, I was very pleased for Red Shoes too that they included Celtic Moon. Made me want to rush out and buy Wintour tix .

Hearing the sainted Mr Peel was lovely.. His voice is very much missed.  A great RT hour.

I had to sleep then.. But the last programme can be watched later today.  All recorded and will be ready to be seen again.

Thanks BBC!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

The best bit was a clip of Richard Thompson. It followed a clip of Donovan singing "Hurdy Gurdy Man". Talk about chalk and cheese............ Roll Eyes

I very much enjoyed both songs!

Jules

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: