TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:30:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REM Live 2005  (Read 21371 times)
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« on: July 07, 2005, 11:03:41 PM »

This all seems a bit trivial now and I'm left wondering if the London concert will go ahead.
However.

REM, Nottingham 06/07/05

REM probably have three kinds of fans. The Shiny Happy People who best know the chart material, those who have followed the band from the early days and those who, like me can't claim to be an earlier adopter but also love music that is intelligent in content and can somehow combine being challenging and anthemic.

Either way, last night's performance would hit all the right buttons whichever camp you're in. I won't give the game away by giving all of the set-list but there were songs from 'Murmur' to 'Around the Sun'. In theory, this tour was supporting the most recent release but you wouldn't have guessed as there wasn't an intrusive number of tracks from that album.
This is the first time I've seen them live and if I had a mental wish-list, they certainly ticked them all off.  'Imitation of Life' alone means this will go down as one of my favourite gigs.

Michael Stipe, still with his blue face band as seen at Live8 (you wait, we'll all be sporting one soon), has to go down as one of the great live performers. Nothing too showy but you suspect this is a man who takes on a different, extrovert persona in the spotlight.
He is charasmatic on stage and has a voice easily strong and supple enough to drive a rock band of this calibre whether they're playing 'Star69' or 'Nightswimming'.
I've heard they're not as trendy as they used to be. No loss, because it leaves space for people who know good music.

They were supported by Idlewild whose sound compliments REM and the sax-mad Zutons. Both are deservedly current Indie favourites and damn good big-crowd pleasers in their own right.

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 11:14:07 PM »

Thanks for that Clive.
I'm green with envy, cos I won't get to see them live, but I'll just keep playing the CDs and pretending.
Reading your piece did make it all a little more real for a while though Smiley
I also like The Zutons, and would have liked to see them live as well. Idlewild, I've heard of, but know very little about, but if they were chosen to support REM I'd guess they're pretty darned good.
Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 05:59:49 AM »

This all seems a bit trivial now and I'm left wondering if the London concert will go ahead.

No, it won't

Well, not this weekend - both the REM & the Queen gigs in Hyde Park this weekend have been postponed to next weekend - I got an email from a ticket agency last night.

Tickets for both shows still valid - refunds from point of purchase.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:26:50 AM »

REM - fantastic live band. Grin

One of the best things about them is that they vary the set list from night to night, so you can never be sure what they are going to play. Adds a great feeling of spontaneity (which is pretty rare amongst established acts these days..........)
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 07:46:01 AM »

Well i was all set for REM this weekend tickets booked. The plan was to spend the weekend in London at my wifes sisters house and we were to meet up with friends and all go to the gig and just generally have a good ol time and guess what it still is. OK the gig has been cancelled and moved to next week (but ive got a wedding to go to and can't go) so it looks like well just hit the pubs instead.

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
Mitch

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 04:24:39 PM »

No, it won't

Well, not this weekend - both the REM & the Queen gigs in Hyde Park this weekend have been postponed to next weekend - I got an email from a ticket agency last night.

Tickets for both shows still valid - refunds from point of purchase.

Phew, glad I saw this. A quick check on the REM website gives the following details (Randle you need to get your claim for a refund in by Wednesday):

"07.07.05
HYDE PARK SHOW POSTPONED FOR ONE WEEK

Due to the tragic circumstances today in London, the Safety Advisory Group for Hyde Park has agreed that R.E.M.'s scheduled concert for this weekend, July 9th, will be postponed until Saturday July 16th.

All tickets will remain valid for the new shows and an information line has been set up on 0870 060 1767. If ticket holders are unable to attend on the rescheduled dates, they should contact their point of purchase by 6pm on Wednesday 13th July for a refund.

Those who bought a ticket from getLIVE or Ticketmaster and need a refund should call 0870 400 0750.

R.E.M.’s shows in Ipswich (8th July) and Cardiff (10th July) will go on as planned."
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 01:55:20 PM »

The Ipswich show was truly phenomenal - if anyone's thinking of getting a refund, simply don't. After a very moving pre-kick off announcement they started with Everybody Hurts (on this occasion) and finished about two hours later with Man on the Moon. In between they were, I firmly believe, the greatest rock n' roll band on the planet, bar none. Oldies, newies, in betweenies, they were all there. I've been trying to remember a better gig, ever, and I'm coming up with blanks. That face stripe is a bit unnerving, mind - it's like the gap between Mark Knopfler's sweatband and the start of his actual hair used to be - it seems to be getting very gradually wider by degrees. The Zutons were fantastic, and a personal triumph was achieved when Stipey started the encores in a Town shirt. Good man, well done.
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 11:49:49 PM »

Radio 2 are planning to broadcast the London gig.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 01:20:09 PM »

my daughter has just returned from that London gig, fantastic she said, she was right at the front, lucky thing  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »

Thanks JJ rub it in

Mitch

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »

There's an hour of the Hyde Park show on Radio 2 at 9:30 tonight - well worth a listen...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/rem/
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 12:45:20 AM »

And its on Listen again on the Radio 2 site for those of you who missed the transmission last night.

Same link as above. It will be there for a week.

cheers

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 09:25:49 AM »

I'll pop it onto Slashtemp later in the week in mp3 format.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »

Just listening - brilliant.

Now, as I'm a fairly recent convert - which albums should I go for?  Cheesy

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »

My preferences, sort of in order:

Automatic For The People
In View- The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003
Green
Out Of Time
Document
Around The Sun
Murmur
Reveal
Lifes Rich Pageant
Monster
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
UP
Reckoning
Fables Of The Reconstruction
Dead Letter Office

...but I change my mind about this order. The "Best Of..." compilation is second only to AftP as far as I am concerned.

tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 11:18:42 AM »

thanks Andy - I'll get bidding! (cheapskate? moi?)

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »

Just listening - brilliant.

Now, as I'm a fairly recent convert - which albums should I go for?  Cheesy

Being an REM fan from day one i'd recommend 'Green' as probably their finest moment but if you want the more commercial side of REM i'd go for 'Automatic for the people'

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »

Being an REM fan from day one

So you'd be a good person to ask what REM stands for? as in R.E.M.? Or otherwise how did the name come about?....

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 12:02:15 PM »

Rapid Eye Movement

According to Wikipedia, "The band members picked the name R.E.M. out of the dictionary. They liked the name because it was so ambiguous. They started out as Twisted Kites for the first show they played at a party, but, according to "It Crawled From the South," considered Negro Eyes, Slut Bank, and Cans of Piss before settling for R.E.M."

See the full entry at this location

I first saw REM in. I think, 1987. They weren't big then, but I was visiting Athens, Georgia and saw them in, again I stumble around old memories, "a large bar".

Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 12:05:05 PM »

It stands for 'Rapid eye movement' Chris which is a thing that happens while you are sleeping. Although a lot of REM fans like to make up their own meanings 'Remember every moment' being one.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: