TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 204   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1812612 times)
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #3420 on: September 15, 2022, 05:49:12 PM »

Such awful news.

He joined us for the Toast one year….at home I have a picture of his disgusted face as he tried one of the offerings.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #3421 on: September 15, 2022, 06:00:18 PM »

What a terrible shock, far too young.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Such a tragic loss.

it'll be fine.......
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #3422 on: September 15, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »

Really sorry to hear about Paul. We never met, but he was generous enough to play on our record, arrange an entire horn section part on a laptop in a moving car and then get his colleagues to remotely record it. A lovely man by all accounts and my heart goes out to our mutual friends, who will miss him terribly.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3423 on: September 15, 2022, 10:48:00 PM »

Incredibly sad news. Such a talented musician, and all-round nice guy from all I saw of him and have heard about him.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #3424 on: September 15, 2022, 11:51:07 PM »

Very sad to hear this. Just brings home the fragility of life. RIP Paul. You have left behind a fantastic musical legacy.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #3425 on: September 16, 2022, 08:39:51 AM »

Just a few days ago we saw Paul with Faustus at Swanage folk festival. A brilliant musician but also a wonderful sense of humour. Such a sudden and sad loss.

https://www.facebook.com/goodhonestmusic

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #3426 on: September 16, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »

https://tradfolk.co/music/writing-music/paul-sartin-in-memoriam/

A wonderful piece by Jon Wilks on Paul Sartin, likely to bring a lump to your throat. Tragedy is an overused word but it certainly applies here. He will be sadly missed.

It was a dreadful day yesterday - Eddie Butler was an old friend from my College days. Another taken too soon
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #3427 on: September 16, 2022, 11:54:25 AM »

my heart goes out to our mutual friends, who will miss him terribly.

Likewise.

This is such sad news. Paul was a wonderful person. Always friendly, and such a good musician and music fan. He seemed driven purely by the chance to make music with others. Dammit, this is quite a blow.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #3428 on: September 16, 2022, 10:50:42 PM »

If I might? Paul was a very good friend of some very good friends, and when we we were recording some stuff he generously agreed to play a few bits for us as a favour. One of the things he did was to come up with a “New York vibe” and then play fiddle on a song of our making. https://songsfromthebluehouse.bandcamp.com/track/rolling-tumbling

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3429 on: September 17, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »

If I might? Paul was a very good friend of some very good friends, and when we we were recording some stuff he generously agreed to play a few bits for us as a favour. One of the things he did was to come up with a “New York vibe” and then play fiddle on a song of our making. https://songsfromthebluehouse.bandcamp.com/track/rolling-tumbling
Lovely.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3430 on: September 19, 2022, 10:41:51 AM »

From the tradfolk website -

On September 18th, aware that rumours had begun to spread on the internet, the family released the following statement regarding the cause of Paul Sartin’s death:

“We know that many people are concerned about how Paul passed away, and that there has been a lot of speculation and rumour. Although we will not receive the results of the autopsy for a little while, we can confirm that he collapsed suddenly on the evening of September 14th, shortly before taking the stage at a concert in Oxford. He was with his dear friend and bandmate, Saul Rose.”

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3431 on: September 24, 2022, 12:57:42 AM »

"Little John" Hartman, original drummer of the Doobie Brothers, aged 72.

Little John played on all of their albums from their 1971 debut through Minute By Minute, quitting or being fired from the band in 1979. He rejoined for a 1987 reunion tour, and stayed through two more albums (Cycles and Brotherhood) before ending his music career permanently in 1992.

Being a student of the band, I'm aware of much trivia regarding Little John. I know they added Mike Hossack as second drummer in 1971 because Little John had a tendency to start too fast, and then speed up. Producer Ted Templeman, himself a drummer, was a perfectionist and could not tolerate this. Hossack kept time in the studio through 1974's What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, after which Keith Knudsen was brought in to do the same. Little John apparently contributed relatively little to the records, playing on only one or two songs per album. He played the second trap set on the epic "Without You," "Road Angel," and "Wheels of Fortune" (with visitor Richie Hayward from Little Feat keeping time). When they recorded Cycles in 1989, with Hossack back, Hartman candidly admitted to Modern Drummer that he only did "some cymbal work" on the album.

Hartman's primary contributions were to their live performances. He played percussion, dual drummed with Hossack/Knudsen imposing discipline, and played a flaming gong during the show's climax. Bassist Tiran Porter once remarked how much he enjoyed standing between Hartman and Hossack, before their kits were placed on risers, and locking in with their funky rhythms. (He said Hossack played slightly behind the beat while Hartman played on the beat, which sometimes got a bit hairy.)

I was pleased to see him in all his glory in 1987, 1989, and finally in 1991. I always hoped he would find a way to return, especially after Knudsen and Hossack passed away. R.I.P. to a great drummer and personality.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:16:18 AM by John From Austin » Logged
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #3432 on: September 24, 2022, 02:19:21 PM »

Anton Fier, aged just 66. I knew him mainly from The Feelies' debut album and his subsequent band The Golden Palominos, but he also played with a countless number of artists incuding Mick Jagger, Yoko Ono, Bob Mould, Pere Ubu, Gil Scott-Heron, Herbie Hancock, Laurie Anderson and many others. Fantastic drummer, gone way too soon.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3433 on: September 24, 2022, 06:15:36 PM »

Pharaoh Sanders.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3434 on: September 24, 2022, 11:03:32 PM »

Pharaoh Sanders.

81. I thought he was older. His album with Floating Points from last year is a thing of beauty and The Creator Has A Masterplan is of course a masterpiece. RIP Pharaoh.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3435 on: September 25, 2022, 12:06:53 PM »

Pharaoh Sanders.

81. I thought he was older. His album with Floating Points from last year is a thing of beauty and The Creator Has A Masterplan is of course a masterpiece. RIP Pharaoh.

Here's a pic of the young man with Marshall Allen who's now pushing 98 and a half....and still going strong.

Been playing that Floating Points album...enjoyed it when it came out but then promptly forgot about it (like so much recent music)...

* 308712764_8411086025576015_667768732345685740_n.jpg (45.82 KB, 526x701 - viewed 623 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3436 on: September 26, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »

Pharaoh Sanders.

I thought he was older too  for some reason.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3437 on: September 29, 2022, 07:17:34 AM »

Coolio, age 59.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3438 on: October 04, 2022, 03:49:20 PM »

Loretta Lynne, 90

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3439 on: October 04, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

Loretta Lynne, 90

Very sad. We saw the Coal Miner's Daughter one time, October 18, 2015, at the Moody Theater at ACL Live. At the time, I was convinced it would be my only opportunity to see her perform (and I was right). She was quite charming and personable, remembered the words to all the songs (if you've seen the film, you know why I was surprised), and though weak in body strong in voice.

At the time, I was irritated that she only half-filled the space. I've complained about this many times before; among others, Austin didn't turn out in large numbers for The Who, Roxy Music, Chrissie Hynde, Diana Ross, or Aretha Franklin. They don't live forever, people.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 204   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: