TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport US dates out.  (Read 26448 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »

I don't know what the festival set up is in the States but that could be an option for the future - play half a dozen folk festivals and add a couple of headlibe gigs as well - hope you guys get the chance to see FC over the pond again soon.

DW

That's a good point. All 11 of Bellowhead managed to do several Canadian folk festivals last year.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »

Right.  Remember when they were opening for Tull in the mid 80s?  I guess it helped that Peggy was pulling duty with both bands.

No substitute for the small clubs.  The opportunity of actually drinking and trading jokes with the band is an indispensable part of the Fairport experience, IMO.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »

I don't know what the festival set up is in the States but that could be an option for the future - play half a dozen folk festivals and add a couple of headlibe gigs as well - hope you guys get the chance to see FC over the pond again soon.

DW

That's a good point. All 11 of Bellowhead managed to do several Canadian folk festivals last year.
AIUI, Canada is much less expensive.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »

No substitute for the small clubs.  The opportunity of actually drinking and trading jokes with the band is an indispensable part of the Fairport experience, IMO.

But better than not seeing them at all.

Another possibility might be something Altan did a few years ago (and may still be doing, for all I know)...a tour subsidized by non-profit art/music organizations. They played quite large venues, filled with people who had never heard of them...but were attracted by the excellent marketing.

A band with Fairport's history and musical ability...seems like it might be worth at least looking into.
Pat Helms

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:22 PM »

But better than not seeing them at all.

Absolutely!
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »

DW

AIUI, Canada is much less expensive.

I have no idea about tour costs, but generally the US is cheaper for fuel, food, accommodation etc.  The Oysterband have toured across Canada 3 times in the last 3 years..when they get hear on April 16th I'll ask how they manage it!

Thank Drunk I'm God
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

I think Fairport should consider the Canadian folk festival circuit in the summer, (although of course it may clash with Cropredy dates), as it would give the North American fans a chance to see them. I don't know what it's like now, but on my one visit to Canada in the early 80's, I was pleasantly surprised  to see how big and popular the folk festival circuit there was. The festivals are generally very diverse, with a strong emphasis on traditional Celtic and French music, but also blues, jazz, gospel, etc. Some of the festivals are really big, (e.g. Winnipeg) and attract visitors from all over Canada and the USA. Reminded me of the Cambridge folk festival but on a much grander scale. I also remember some smaller festivals which were just as much fun and just as diverse musically- I spent a great weekend at a folk festival in a small Ontario town called Sudbury. Great, interesting music and very friendly, hospitable people. Fairport would go down really well over there.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 06:24:34 AM »

I have no idea about tour costs, but generally the US is cheaper for fuel, food, accommodation etc.  

I'm not sure it is, as such. With the vast distances you can end up travelling in America between gigs, you either end up being in a van for days or have to fly. FC wanted to tour as the full electric band with the kit that entails and just couldn't make it financially viable, according to their website.

I think also you have to face the facts - Fairport really don't have the popularity density in the USA to make a tour viable. Frankly they struggle in parts of the UK - and they tour here what, 2-3 times a year to maintain their audiences and even that doesn't always work out as well as you might hope. EG Pontardawe was significantly down on audience numbers this year as opposed to 2 years ago.

For most bands, the days of it being viable to fly over to the US for one or two gigs are long gone (if they ever existed).

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »

Here's wishing the lads could team up with someone remotely similar (Chieftains?) and split some of the costs.

If I win Powerball tomorrow, I'll underwrite a bloody U.S. tour myself.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »

I have no idea about tour costs, but generally the US is cheaper for fuel, food, accommodation etc.  

I'm not sure it is, as such. With the vast distances you can end up travelling in America between gigs, you either end up being in a van for days or have to fly. FC wanted to tour as the full electric band with the kit that entails and just couldn't make it financially viable, according to their website.

I think also you have to face the facts - Fairport really don't have the popularity density in the USA to make a tour viable. Frankly they struggle in parts of the UK - and they tour here what, 2-3 times a year to maintain their audiences and even that doesn't always work out as well as you might hope. EG Pontardawe was significantly down on audience numbers this year as opposed to 2 years ago.

For most bands, the days of it being viable to fly over to the US for one or two gigs are long gone (if they ever existed).

I meant that costs in the US are probably lower than Canada...UK bands are able to perform a few headlining dates over here on the back of festival bookings (as Bellowhead did last year), but the Oysterband aside, few UK folk bands are willing to undertake coast to coast club tours.  Furthermore, club tours are risky ventures not only for the bands but also the folk or other clubs promoting such concerts where a poorly attended show for a "name" act can wipe out the club's finances.

Thank Drunk I'm God
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »

That is very true, though I barely listen to the radio I can think of only 2 instances where I have heard FC on the radio over here in the past 24 years, one was a beautifully recorded program of the Maart era band at a Chicago folk club called Holsteins, long dead, in 86, on a program called folkstage, which is aired after midnight on the original Chicago FM station, a classical one that does folk, the program they were on which still exists extend into the 1950's. The other was at a Chicago suburb just to the north called Evanston, a great old long dead very esoteric club called Amazing Grace, a show from 75 that i saw firsthand. Generally, possibly untrue, the further west or south you go in the US the less aware people become of Fairport, though last I knew they could still fill a club in Chicago, I like to think my fervent wishes helped get them booked twice in roughly the last ten years at my local Chicago joint where the Fitzgerald family is old friends, but I am way less than certain of that. And frankly the generation that did hear them a tiny bit on the more esoteric radio outlets of decades ago, have either begun to die off, or are amazed to hear of their continued existence, after years of raising a family for instance. I do very occasionally get big thumbs up when I am wearing one of my Fairport t shirts, from people who could not have been old enough to remember the earlier incarnations in real time, so maybe there is hope. I would love to see them as the permanent opening act for Tull, but I'm not sure that sounds like loads of fun to the Fairports, not sure. 

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Pat Helms

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »

'75 Amazing Grace, 2 sets - I have that one! Grin

I don't know why the mid west was such a (relatively) strong hub for the band, but I have seen a lot of shows in Ohio over the years.

It seemed they were doing okay in the mid 80s.  The Red & Gold tour was particularly well attended - certainly on par with RT's Amnesia and R&S outings.  I guess it was somewhat due to the excitement of the "official" reforming and the Hannibal reissues at the time.

Ah, well.....  

MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 04:36:30 AM »

I'm just catching up with this news. Obviously terribly sad to hear on this end. I'll 2nd what someone said earlier: I'll pay for another tour personally if I win powerball. I told my bride that the lads won't be coming here here this fall as previously  mentioned. Her response: "When are we going over there to see them?" Good question.

"Further on down the road..." as EC said...
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2010, 01:28:38 AM »

Bless them for wanting to bring the full band, and not wanting to compromise on that.  My homies and I would've been utterly psyched to see Fairport here (if, indeed, their path would've wound through the Pacific NW)....  And it's sad to imagine the band's disappointment, as well.

Sigh.....guess we're just going to have to make a Cropredy sometime...?  This year, geographically converse but otherwise similar considerations to the Fairports' may not allow the possibility this year.

Thanks alot for trying, guys.  Maybe it'll align yet in the not-too-distant future.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »

Being lucky enough to live in NYC, I havent had to worry about Fairport not coming to my part of America, so I am lucky. I was sad when I read the news, but I will just say guys, thanks for trying, and thanks for giving us fans a lengthy explanation personally! You dont get that from many bands!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
musiclover
Reporting from the colonies

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:35 AM »

Yippeeeeee they are coming to Sellersville, Pa. in October!!!

I will be there!!!!!!

Must send for good seats!!!!!

Across the evening sky--all the birds are leaving.
How do they know--when it's time for them to go?
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 05:53:18 AM »

Yippeeeeee they are coming to Sellersville, Pa. in October!!!

I will be there!!!!!!

Must send for good seats!!!!!

Welcome back, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's all canceled:

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php?p=2

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
bobcat

Loc: USA Tennessee

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »

I was all ready to go see them at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Va. I told Tomcat that they would be there Oct. 24 just before he walked out the door for the evening. I hate to break the bad news to him when he gets in. He's probably making plans in his head right now. It would have been an eight hour drive for us but worth it. I guess we will have to save our money and come back to Cropredy   Tiara   Fez.  Maybe I'll win the lottery and help with their tour .

Bobcat

Next year I'm coming back, I'll see you later. It takes longer when your far away.---From  Sandy Denny's The Optimist
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: