TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT2 / The Boot on CD  (Read 32858 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »

Hey! My Fairport 25th Anniversary boxed set, dating from the days when people din't know what a boxed set was, so it just came out as 4CDs in a box, is worth £60. Mine's near mint, so I could ask for more. If I wanted to sell it, which I don't as I reckon the CDs beat silly remasters.

is that the one with rosie,babs, 9, and rising?

It is indeed Jim. It was a sound investment, since at half of it still gets listened to regularly.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »

Purely altruistically  Wink in case any of you good people are still looking

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201590760238?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks Malcolm, I can see it now. Yes, I rmember trying to get this from Terrapin, I think, but learned, iirc' it was a 'festival only' item.

Well I'd be in, if we could crowdfund a reissue.  Grin Wink
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »

Hey! My Fairport 25th Anniversary boxed set, dating from the days when people din't know what a boxed set was, so it just came out as 4CDs in a box, is worth £60. Mine's near mint, so I could ask for more. If I wanted to sell it, which I don't as I reckon the CDs beat silly remasters.

It is indeed Jim. It was a sound investment, since at half of it still gets listened to regularly.

I can't imagine why as the cds can be got remastered, with extra tracks. And the box itself was hardly anything special. Although I bought it I always thought it was as poor a way to celebrate 25 years of a band as could be done.

The Dude abides
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »

It is indeed Jim. It was a sound investment, since at least half of it still gets listened to regularly.

I can't imagine why as the cds can be got remastered, with extra tracks. And the box itself was hardly anything special. Although I bought it I always thought it was as poor a way to celebrate 25 years of a band as could be done.

Yes, I know, it's not really a boxed set at all. I just think sonically the CDs are as good as anything thereafter,  and have served me well.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

It is indeed Jim. It was a sound investment, since at least half of it still gets listened to regularly.

Yes, I know, it's not really a boxed set at all. I just think sonically the CDs are as good as anything thereafter,  and have served me well.

Yes they are still the copies of Angel Delight, Rosie & Nine that I use (though I don't listen to Rosie often). Admittedly I did upgrade Babbacombe Lee to the remaster because it split up the individual tracks and Rising For The Moon to the recent(ish) two disc edition.

From what I recall of this box, it was primarily a way of sweeping the Fairport Island albums that had not been in print on CD up to that point.
Simon Withers

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »

...this reminds me...my four CDs  (25th anniversary set)  all succumbed to a CD blight...or was it called CD cancer at some point -the printing eats into the disks and rendered mine unplayable...does any one else remember this problem...I still have the box...
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 10:18:01 AM »

Watched the "Forever Young" video last night, from AT2. A wonderful document of a fab Cropredy. It would be great if these early Vidotech / Musicfolk videos had a(n expanded) digital release.  Smiley  

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »

...this reminds me...my four CDs  (25th anniversary set)  all succumbed to a CD blight...or was it called CD cancer at some point -the printing eats into the disks and rendered mine unplayable...does any one else remember this problem...I still have the box...

Yes. I have had that problem with a number of Island & Polygram CDs from that period. It was a particular pressing plant that was responsible. My Bonny Bunch of Roses/Tipplers Tales twofer went that way. Last I looked, Angel Delight was suffering from teabagging but still played as was Babbacombe Lee (from the box). I Want To See The Bright Lights similarly so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_bronzing
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 12:11:23 PM »

I had a handful of discs that did this. It's known as 'disc rot' or 'bronzing'. Google it. Many were made by PDO in the early 90s, and the company replaced them on request for a few years. I was lucky, and got mine replaced, but some people are still stuck with them.

Sorry Al, see you posted on this too.  Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »

Yes. I have had that problem with a number of Island & Polygram CDs from that period. It was a particular pressing plant that was responsible. My Bonny Bunch of Roses/Tipplers Tales twofer went that way. Last I looked, Angel Delight was suffering from teabagging but still played as was Babbacombe Lee (from the box). I Want To See The Bright Lights similarly so.

I've heard of 'disc rot', but 'teabagging'?!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »

Warning: DON'T Google teabagging.

This has been mentioned on here before.

(Google crashes while hundreds of TAWers Google teabagging)......tea-staining is the term, I think.

Grin  Wink

Edit : Having never been teabagged or indeed, teabagged anyone else, I'm not sure if you can suffer from it....

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »

I've heard of 'disc rot', but 'teabagging'?!

Jules

It is the same as bronzing. Or was 25 years ago but the term seems to have been usurped as Mike has pointed out!  Embarrassed
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »

I led a sheltered life till I came onto this forum and found out the word 'teabagging' and what it means. Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: