TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Cropredy Chatter  (Read 132480 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »

Same set they played at Winchester Cathedral a couple of weeks ago. Worked well there, but too low key for a chilly field, I fear....
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »

One of my favourite bands and I love the new album. Seen them more times than I can count. I’m so disappointed.  Had it been billed as acoustic or not been a headliner fair enough but it was too low key.  Maybe Mark’s recent illness had a bearing.  Anyone know where Jeremy was ?

and the stars look very different today
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »

In the words of a friend on f book , who loved the Levellers set, ' why do people expect to go to a fest to hear the album they bought 20 years ago?'
Discuss Shocked Shocked Cool
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »

In the words of a friend on f book , who loved the Levellers set, ' why do people expect to go to a fest to hear the album they bought 20 years ago?'

Well - in this particular we’re only talking about 3 new songs, the others are alternative treatments of older stuff. I get the point, if a band trots out the same stuff it ultimately gets boring for all concerned. I just wish it had been billed as acoustic - then I’d have been prepared, but I was ready to get a right sweat on and finish the night elated rather than appreciative.

and the stars look very different today
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »

All Levelling aside they, and many other bands, have made a pretty good living touring the “Twenty/Thirty/Forty Years Since...” circuit so I suggest that if you’re playing after teatime at a festival, you put away the new album and play to your strengths. I don’t know if sickness and diseases were a factor in the low-key approach or not, in which case maybe we should be commending them for their trouper status instead?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »

All Levelling aside they, and many other bands, have made a pretty good living touring the “Twenty/Thirty/Forty Years Since...” circuit so I suggest that if you’re playing after teatime at a festival, you put away the new album and play to your strengths. I don’t know if sickness and diseases were a factor in the low-key approach or not, in which case maybe we should be commending them for their trouper status instead?

Mark Chadwick was ill, and they had to cancel a few gigs recently. According to my chatty Security man at the top of the field, it was touch and go whether they would play.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2018, 11:16:39 PM »

When is next year’s Cropredy?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2018, 11:27:52 PM »

It is always the second weekend in August so 8-10th next year. Assuming there is one.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »

It is always the second weekend in August so 8-10th next year. Assuming there is one.

Surely there will be? Cripes I have been going twenty years and never actually clocked the second week in August thing. Call me dim!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »

Call me dim!

People really shouldn't be allowed to choose their own nicknames.

Grin

"Greek God"

Now be thankful for good things below
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »

Call me dim!

People really shouldn't be allowed to choose their own nicknames.

Grin

"Greek God"

Grin
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »

Wherever you are, safe journey home...

Flobbadob!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »

Err sorry all you lot posting about the Levellers here but could you post under the Levellers topic? It’s just that I’m easily confused and need things in a nice order or my diminishing brain gets turned to mush  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »

Big black mark to the numbskulls who tried to turn our festival into a political rally. Don't want it whatever the party or cause. Probably did them more harm than good anyway. Very sad to see Peggy wearing one of their stickers on stage.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »

Big black mark to the numbskulls who tried to turn our festival into a political rally. Don't want it whatever the party or cause. Probably did them more harm than good anyway. Very sad to see Peggy wearing one of their stickers on stage.

Can You elaborate?

The Dude abides
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Can You elaborate?

There were a lot to "remainers" handing out stickers, flags etc etc.

DW
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »

Totally agree. Cropredy is a place to escape politics and the outside world for a few days.  I didn’t see them but saw a few people with stickers.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »

Can You elaborate?

There were a lot to "remainers" handing out stickers, flags etc etc.

DW

Never saw them but agree. The old adage of ‘never talk about politics or religion’ should be adhered to at Cropredy

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »

Peggy's always been amenable to the odd badge or sticker. It's no secret the band are pretty much left of centre and it's fruitless arguing against politics at Cropredy when half the acts have obvious political agendas / songs.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2018, 05:54:43 PM »

Big black mark to the numbskulls who tried to turn our festival into a political rally.

Wait - you went to a FOLK music festival and you were surprised that there were political comments there?! I mean, I can see how you might have expected some political content at a Northern Soul weekend, or a Heavy Metal gig, or even at a Taylor Swift concert, but certainly not at a Folk music event.

--
Philip
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: