TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anne de Bretagne  (Read 42225 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »

I bought the online ticket, printed it here & it's on my mobile.....

frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

You can convert to the site to English - just click on the Union Jack logo....

I wish people knew what their flag is called. Roll Eyes

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

when i was a lad it was always called the union jack and i had never heard the term union flag until fairly recently
what a boring name for the flag "union flag" is, the term "Union Jack" has a bit of swagger about it , so there you drain cleaner drinking Taff Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »

when i was a lad it was always called the union jack and i had never heard the term union flag until fairly recently
what a boring name for the flag "union flag" is, the term "Union Jack" has a bit of swagger about it , so there you drain cleaner drinking Taff Roll Eyes

It's one of those things that nobody adheres to, even though it is 'correct'.  I agree with Jim...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »

The album popped through my letterbox yesterday and what a thing of beauty it is, at least to look at. I have not had time to listen to it yet. The two CDs come bound in a CD sized hardback cover with a lavishly illustrated 50(ish) page book of lyrics and narration. Shame I barely understand a word of it!  Grin Embarrassed

What I do understand, I think, is the valuable news contained within the book that Excalibur 3 will be released in January 2010 and Excalibur 1 & 2 will be re-released at the same time, along with Gaia.

Finally, I think it also says that the forthcoming live performances of both Anne De Bretagne & Excalibur will be filmed for DVD release during 2010.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »

Finally, I think it also says that the forthcoming live performances of both Anne De Bretagne & Excalibur will be filmed for DVD release during 2010.

Good news, something to look forward to.
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »

It's one of those things that nobody adheres to, even though it is 'correct'.  I agree with Jim...

Yet another example of naval terms entering the everyday language of the British.  I like it!

(in best Borat accent:)
...when does Jack come?
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

Yet another example of naval terms entering the everyday language of the British.  I like it!

(in best Borat accent:)
...when does Jack come?

interesting Roll Eyes apparently jack was the name given to the navys flag poles and eventualy any flag flown was called a jack hence the union jack or union flag!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 09:08:20 AM »

I picked up a copy last week while on holiday - excellent packaging as GubGub says. Only listened to Disc 1 so far, and it's pretty damn good.

I notice Ric doesn't appear on any of the (FC) tracks...

My copy cost 18 euros from a branch of the InterMarche supermarket chain - can you imagine Asda stocking it in the UK? No, me neither.  Mind you, the shop was in Vannes, so in Alan Simon territory.

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »

I have listened to all of it now. Good stuff. There is certainly some fret & fiddle burning folk rock on there, though there is a slight tendency towards Eurovision style power ballads in a couple of places. Should be a good gig in a couple of weeks' time. I'm really looking forward to it.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

Which day(s) are mermbers attending? And where are you staying?
Maybe we can sort a board meet up?

David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »

I have listened to all of it now. Good stuff. There is certainly some fret & fiddle burning folk rock on there, though there is a slight tendency towards Eurovision style power ballads in a couple of places. Should be a good gig in a couple of weeks' time. I'm really looking forward to it.

GubGub,
Ah, now I see the interest in St Pardoux. I would have been interested in this spectacle myself, but on those dates, we already have a visit from me 82 year old Mum. Its an even bigger disappointment, 'cos I have to pick her up from Nantes airport a few days earlier.

Hope you (and anyone else in TA) attending have a great time. I just wish I'd realised earlier what was happening. I would like to have seen this one.

Cheers

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

Which day(s) are mermbers attending? And where are you staying?
Maybe we can sort a board meet up?

I'm going on the Tuesday night. Staying in the centre of Nantes near to both the station and the castle.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »

Hope you have a great night. It sounds a top evening

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »

We've not been long back from Nantes - the least said the better, I think. Lips Sealed  Suffice to say, we are spoilt by the professionalism of Fairport.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 08:44:35 PM »

We've not been long back from Nantes - the least said the better, I think. Lips Sealed  Suffice to say, we are spoilt by the professionalism of Fairport.
Well, hopefully GubGub won't be so reticent  Smiley

Weren't some members of Fairport there to provide some professionalism to the event?
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »

Yes, but a lot of what went wrong was beyond Fairport's control.  In fact they, and some others to be fair, didn't put a foot wrong.  Chris Leslie's solo at the end was one of the high points for us - one man and his mandolin - subtle and moving.  Understandably, people had started to drift off, given the time (1.15 am) but he managed to pull a few back.
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 09:39:34 PM »

Yes, but a lot of what went wrong was beyond Fairport's control.  In fact they, and some others to be fair, didn't put a foot wrong.  Chris Leslie's solo at the end was one of the high points for us - one man and his mandolin - subtle and moving.  Understandably, people had started to drift off, given the time (1.15 am) but he managed to pull a few back.

So, what went wrong?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
katy
n3wb

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 01:55:55 AM »

Snippets of the concert can be seen in this news report on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnzf6XIYxw

(Heads back to lurkdom.)
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »

I think we were at different gigs!

I thoroughly enjoyed it - overlong perhaps, and a couple of numbers suffered PA problems - but the setting was superb, the musicianship as a whole was fantastic - but who was the support?......Nilda Fernandez - oh dear, why do the Euros like high-pitched crooners?.....

Someone had forgotten that they needed dusk / darkness in order to shoot the atmospherics for the DVD....and it wasn't going to be dark until 2230.....with a 2030hrs start on the tickets, people naturally started getting restless an hour after that....so they put this Spanish Crooner (singing in French) on! - the only act I wasn't keen on.

So it started at 2215....Les Holroyd glammed up, Simon did a good Edward 1V (was that costume slightly warm, Simon?!!)....Peggy was restricted to the backline poor chap, next to Gerry stage left, with the orchestra stage right forming the bank line with a couple of others on percussion.

In front of them, from stage right to left - Didier Squiban on the piano, various members of Tri Yann, Chris L, James Wood, Simon N (on elecro-acoustic all night), and two others whose names I forget on electric guitar....

The first set went till midnight, the second from 0015 till 0115! A marathon indeed. Managed to get a chat with Peggy, Gerry & James Wood, who seemed to have enjoyed themselves.

The most amazing thing was that someone had taken a chance on the weather & not covered anything at all - if the rain had fallen, mass panic would have ensued trying to get covers over the electrics....."don't mention the 'r' word", said Gerry!

The second set was heavy on the narrative, and I suspect some will get cut for the DVD - but as a whole, I would recxommend it - the way it seriously rocked in places when everyone joined in is not to be missed!

There is news of various re-releases of the Excalibur CDs / DVDs in the A-d-B CD book....which is at home. Will post later.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: