TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning Bright: the Life and Music of Ashley Hutchings  (Read 7408 times)
WiltK
n3wb

Loc: Coast of the Med

« on: August 11, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »

This is marginally off-topic, but I am seeking opinions and reviews regarding this box set – anyone?

Thanks
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »

This is marginally off-topic, but I am seeking opinions and reviews regarding this box set – anyone?

Thanks

Nothing that has anything to do with anyone who was ever a member of Fairport is off-topic here, especially when you start the topic yourself.  My brother picked this one up, and I've listened to it and feel that it is among the best of all of the Free Reed box sets.  If you have liked the various Ashley projects you've heard, you can't go wrong with this one.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
WiltK
n3wb

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:26:51 AM »

Thank you. This is a very encouraging review, especially since I already went ahead and ordered it from Amazon.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:40:53 AM »

You won't regret it!

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
WiltK
n3wb

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:31:21 PM »

Yes indeed, I do not regret it! This set arrived here a couple of days ago and it is truly great stuff.... now waiting for the "Daughters of Albion" to complete the set.

W
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »

Yes indeed, I do not regret it! This set arrived here a couple of days ago and it is truly great stuff.... now waiting for the "Daughters of Albion" to complete the set.

W

Daughters of Albion. Excellent book by A.N. Wilson.

I used to be a Secondspur
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »

'Ang on, give us a chance, I've only just gone overdrawn buying the RT box....!

But Burning Bright is on my list along with Shirley Collins' Within Sound set. One should really buy the latter first cos Tyger inspires respect but Shirley inspires love.

Have a look at the site below if you haven't seen it already  - bit of a ramble (like my postings) but interesting, especially some of the byways like Thomas Hardy and M R James - it's got Absentmindedness in the Parish Quire by TH which was on the insert of the original vinyl Compleat Dancing Master.

(Which remark rather blows one's cover vis a vis the youthful portrait, oh dearie me)

http://thealbionchronicles.tripod.com/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:18:20 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
WiltK
n3wb

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:50:32 AM »

"Daughters of Albion", or "Women of Albion".... or maybe it's "Female vocalists of Albion". I'm not sure what it's called but this is a 5th 'bonus' CD that you send in for once you've purchased the box set and assumingly you happen to be amongst the first 2000 people who did. This seems to be standard procedure with all Free Reed box sets.

W

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: