TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Time  (Read 45777 times)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

Tamlin appeared on the WBCN Halloween playlist one year (early 70s) and I spent years trying to find out what/who that amazing group was.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »

I was interested to read that for some of you "In Real Time" introduced you to Fairport. I must admit that of all FC LPs, this is the one for which I have an admittedly snobbish disdain - because it is in effect a "fake live" album, the applause having been dubbed on afterwards. Also, it was strange how, having resolved to go it alone on Woodworm, they then returned to Island. Were they then promptly dropped by Island when In Real Time failed to deliver the sales or was it always going to be a one-album-deal ?

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »

I was interested to read that for some of you "In Real Time" introduced you to Fairport. I must admit that of all FC LPs, this is the one for which I have an admittedly snobbish disdain - because it is in effect a "fake live" album, the applause having been dubbed on afterwards. Also, it was strange how, having resolved to go it alone on Woodworm, they then returned to Island. Were they then promptly dropped by Island when In Real Time failed to deliver the sales or was it always going to be a one-album-deal ?

I would have thought that it was always going to be a one-album deal, coinciding with a fair number of Island Records' 20th anniversary products coming out that year.
The applause were indeed fake, coming directly from a John Martyn live recording.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »

Dave Pegg;

"I was still working with Jethro Tull and Ian had come to Cropredy in 1986 and seen Fairport. He suggested we support Tull, be payed to be on their US tour. We thought it was a great opportunity for us. But we needed an album for it, one which would be distributed in America.

So I went to Island Records, told them we were off to the States with Tull, a really big tour, and that I wanted some dosh to do an album. I wanted Island to put it out in the States to guarantee that people in America would be able to get it. Island coughed up about twenty-five thousand bucks or thereabouts.

We'd thought about recording the album at Cropredy but decided it would be too risky. So we went to a studio in Bray and we made the album in a day: we just set up and played it live, though we added some applause from a John Martyn live album. It was called Live at Cropredy although it was actually recorded fifty miles away. But we had a first rate album for the States, and it's a great album, as live as it gets."

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »

It was my first FC album and is still my favourite, mainly because it has such goods tracks, and it sounds as though everyone (including the "audience") is having a good time. It cheers me up  Smiley

I didn't know for years that it wasn't live, and even when I found out it didn't make a difference. It must have been a good John Martyn concert!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »

Interesting that it was made with a USA tour in mind ... I actually remember that on the UK tour Simon Nicol told the audience that his solo album was outselling it ! Although it was worth buying for many of us at the time, because some tracks were taken from Roses / Tipplers, and the Vertigo albums were unavailable for ages.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

Interesting that it was made with a USA tour in mind ... I actually remember that on the UK tour Simon Nicol told the audience that his solo album was outselling it ! Although it was worth buying for many of us at the time, because some tracks were taken from Roses / Tipplers, and the Vertigo albums were unavailable for ages.

I wonder if it sold well in the country it was intended for.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »

I wonder if it sold well in the country it was intended for.

Total sales, who knows, I can say that I have seen it in a few peoples collections over the years, from people who have nothing else by the band. Like Bridget it remains one of my favorites. Over the years I have tuned out the fake applause as such, and just focus on the music. Viewing it as such I think it is  pretty solid work, and a precursor of sorts to By Popular Request.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

Red and Gold actually got into the UK Album charts.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

Probably the John Peel radio connection - I certainly saw them in a studenty bar/'refec' in Brighton 67/68 sometime... Spent my Woolies Saturday  job money on Ribbon Bow etc, and can remember pre-ordering WWDOOH from our local record and hi-fi emporium.
Many joys and tears over the years since.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »

I first heard Fairport on a 1970(?) compilation called "Bumpers", featuring Walk AWhile.

Ah, good old Bumpers. I have a copy. I also have the Island History of Fairport Convention, which I'm almost sure wqas the first Faiport album I bought. It led to others, I'm happy to say. My first hearing of the band, I'm afraid, is lost in the mists etc.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: