TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Time  (Read 45780 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »

Idont remember when i first heard them but it was probably on a John Peel show or Stuart(cant remember his name, scots bloke, got some awful wasting disease) show , probably the sessions that were on Heydays, in the late 60's.
   However due to lack of funds (being a schoolboy till 1970) i didnt see them until the Angel Delight line up were touring in 71 and then i knew they were the band for me, and its been that way ever since.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »

Idont remember when i first heard them but it was probably on a John Peel show or Stuart(cant remember his name, scots bloke, got some awful wasting disease) show , probably the sessions that were on Heydays, in the late 60's.
   However due to lack of funds (being a schoolboy till 1970) i didnt see them until the Angel Delight line up were touring in 71 and then i knew they were the band for me, and its been that way ever since.

Stuart Henry I believe.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

Stuart Henry I believe.

thats the lad, thanks Al

The Dude abides
Chris Line

Loc: Essex

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

Hi

Imagine that it is spring 1979. A friend suggests to me that we go to see a band appearing in may at the Fulcrum Theatre in Slogh. "Its only £2.50" he says.

At the time I am still at school. My musical tastes encompass Heavy Rock, Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Punk. I hacve heard of some folk singers but not Fairport Convention. I agree to go anyway since it is only £2.50.

Tuesday May 30th we take our seats in Row H.  Four musicains appear on stage. A hairy drummer, a bass player in a funny hat, a fresh faced guitar player and a chain smoking, older, short fiddle player.

I don't know if they actually started with WAW but in my memory they do. From the first bars I am hooked.

I see them again in August playing down the bill at Knebworth. I don't think I will see them again as they are due to play their final gig later that day.

When the album Farewell Farewell cane out I purchased a copy and played it constantly.

Sometime in 1980 we saw that a one off reunion gig was happening somewhere in Oxfordshire. We bought tickets and attended for the Saturday. Large quantities of old peculiar was consumed and we lived in a large plastic bag due to the rain.  
I still have the T shirt although it doesn't fit me now!

These are my first times with Fairport. I have had many other times with them in the intervening years. They have provided a soundtrack to my life. I have seen them every year since 1980 at least once.

Thanks Fairport.

Does anybody read these bits?
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

On holiday with some mates in Devon, 1979. One of them had brought some albums with him (imagine having to cart vinyl about these days) and one was Babbacombe Lee.
I knew of DM from Morris On and loved his style, so, seeing he was on this, had a listen.
Didn't get to see them 'till Broughton Castle in 1981 (and then I only went to see DM) but doing that changed everything.

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

Hi

Imagine that it is spring 1979. A friend suggests to me that we go to see a band appearing in may at the Fulcrum Theatre in Slogh. "Its only £2.50" he says.

At the time I am still at school. My musical tastes encompass Heavy Rock, Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Punk. I hacve heard of some folk singers but not Fairport Convention. I agree to go anyway since it is only £2.50.

Tuesday May 30th we take our seats in Row H.  Four musicains appear on stage. A hairy drummer, a bass player in a funny hat, a fresh faced guitar player and a chain smoking, older, short fiddle player.

I don't know if they actually started with WAW but in my memory they do. From the first bars I am hooked.

I see them again in August playing down the bill at Knebworth. I don't think I will see them again as they are due to play their final gig later that day.

When the album Farewell Farewell cane out I purchased a copy and played it constantly.

Sometime in 1980 we saw that a one off reunion gig was happening somewhere in Oxfordshire. We bought tickets and attended for the Saturday. Large quantities of old peculiar was consumed and we lived in a large plastic bag due to the rain.  
I still have the T shirt although it doesn't fit me now!

These are my first times with Fairport. I have had many other times with them in the intervening years. They have provided a soundtrack to my life. I have seen them every year since 1980 at least once.

Thanks Fairport.

Beautifully put.

DC
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »

It took two more years before I saw them live: Simon, Peggy, Swarb and Bruce on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury '84. Wonderful. I remember Simon's Cornflakes guitar very clearly, as well as the very long herbal cigarette that Swarb smoked all through Sloth. I've never seen any photos from that gig: I wonder if any exist?

That's where I came in! I remember thinking that the long one they played made a perfect accompaniment to a lazy sunny sunday afternoon.  Smiley

I don't know why it impresses me so much that you were there too, but it does!  Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »

1968 ish at the Southbank (QE Hall I think) with Martin Lamble on drums. Ian was in the group but I have to admit I can't remember if it was Judy or Sandy.The memories of Suzanne and Reno Nevada stay with me to this day.

Would have been Sandy, as I have never played the QE Hall

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

Written about before on here, but abbreviated version is I was dragged to a Jethro Tull concert at the Worcester Centrum in Massachusetts in 1987, and Fairport was the opening act. It so happened for an arena show with tickets bought the day of the gig we had amazing seats, center stage, about 10 rows back...so seeing the sheer enjoyment they brought to their set, and a feeling in my young mind that this was like my dad's Clancy Brothers records 'rocked up', I was immediately hooked.

Ahh, that is so great.  I was at the same concert, though I was the one doing the dragging.  I was (and still am) a huge Tull fan, and that was the first time they had toured in four or five years.  Begged and pleaded my parents to go, but they were reluctant because I was just in my first year of high school.  I finally got permission because one of my brother's friend's uncle was going to drive us.  In reality, it was my brother's friend's brother (who was 19 or 20), was going to drive us.  

It was my first concert, and had no idea what to expect.  Had no idea anyone was opening, and honestly, wasn't even probably aware of what an opening was...  I seem to remember that they were introduced at the New Fairport Convention.  Which somehow got translated as the Newport Convention...  I really enjoyed them, but didn't really do anything to look up any of their LP's.  For Christmas, my brother got me "In Real Time - Live '87" which had many of the same songs that they played at the concert.  I really got into that tape, and found a copy of "Farewell, Farewell" which to me was better rawer than "In Real Time" which really got me hooked.    And slowly, over the years, I just really got into them more and more.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

Somewhere in the late 60s, probably 1968, somewhere in London, I think at the Roundhouse but could be mistaken, but definitely at the Bath Festival in 1970 as I remember talking to Peggy and Swarb. Grin Grin Grin

trewin

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »

If I remember rightly it was either an advert or an article in the Kent Messenger saying that a film of 2 groups was going to be filmed in Oakwood Park.

The film was going to be directed by the well known film director Tony Palmer. It was to feature Matthews Southern Comfort & Fairport Convention.

At that time I knew more about MSC as they had recently occupied the no.1 position in the charts.

I think there was a charge of 10/- to enter. The Catholic school in the park had organised fete that went on at the same time & I think there was a stage area near the school that local bands played on.

The Blue Eagle helicopter display team must have been part of the school event.

I bought Full House a few weeks later & have seen the band many times in different  line ups, including the Brady/Burridge/Ar Bras one that played a gig at Maidstone College which is also in that park.

In August I will fulfill a long standing desire by going to Cropredy.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

Written about before on here, but abbreviated version is I was dragged to a Jethro Tull concert at the Worcester Centrum in Massachusetts in 1987, and Fairport was the opening act. It so happened for an arena show with tickets bought the day of the gig we had amazing seats, center stage, about 10 rows back...so seeing the sheer enjoyment they brought to their set, and a feeling in my young mind that this was like my dad's Clancy Brothers records 'rocked up', I was immediately hooked.

Ahh, that is so great.  I was at the same concert, though I was the one doing the dragging.  I was (and still am) a huge Tull fan, and that was the first time they had toured in four or five years.  Begged and pleaded my parents to go, but they were reluctant because I was just in my first year of high school.  I finally got permission because one of my brother's friend's uncle was going to drive us.  In reality, it was my brother's friend's brother (who was 19 or 20), was going to drive us.  

It was my first concert, and had no idea what to expect.  Had no idea anyone was opening, and honestly, wasn't even probably aware of what an opening was...  I seem to remember that they were introduced at the New Fairport Convention.  Which somehow got translated as the Newport Convention...  I really enjoyed them, but didn't really do anything to look up any of their LP's.  For Christmas, my brother got me "In Real Time - Live '87" which had many of the same songs that they played at the concert.  I really got into that tape, and found a copy of "Farewell, Farewell" which to me was better rawer than "In Real Time" which really got me hooked.    And slowly, over the years, I just really got into them more and more.  

Jonathan, thats great...since only you and Bob from here on Talkawhile would know of what I speak, I remember Maart pointing towards the direction of the old Galleria Mall in downtown Worcester and mentioning you could find the "new album" In Real Time there. I also remember everyone except DM coming out to play Budapest (though I could be wrong on that). It really was more than a band discovery for me that night, it was a discovery of a new form of music that was unknown to me, but which 25 years later still thrills and excites me, and has led me to discover and appreciate so much more music in fact.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »

Jonathan, thats great...since only you and Bob from here on Talkawhile would know of what I speak, I remember Maart pointing towards the direction of the old Galleria Mall in downtown Worcester and mentioning you could find the "new album" In Real Time there.

Unfortunately, the Galleria is no more. I'm still not sure what's going to replace it.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

Jonathan, thats great...since only you and Bob from here on Talkawhile would know of what I speak, I remember Maart pointing towards the direction of the old Galleria Mall in downtown Worcester and mentioning you could find the "new album" In Real Time there.

Unfortunately, the Galleria is no more. I'm still not sure what's going to replace it.

Yep..slight thread drift I realize, but noticed that last time I was up there two years ago Bob.

But getting back to topic I just remember Fairport went down a storm. I think for them it was a we've got nothing to lose kind of thing...just go out there and have fun every night in these American arenas, and if we win people over, then all the better. It must have worked because over the years I have met several people who came across Fairport on that same tour, and even if they didn't become the mega fan I became, they seem to think quite highly of the them.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »

I got into Fairport very late on via the glam rock/heavy rock/Americana route that others have also alluded to.

I think it was only five years ago when I bought my first Fairport CD. That was after hearing Meet on the Ledge in a Classic Rock magazine freebie. And it was only 2008 when I first saw them. I've seen them seven times in four years now though and there's only one band that I've seen more times than Fairport.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »

I got into Fairport very late on via the glam rock/heavy rock/Americana route that others have also alluded to.

That's a weird route!  I can't believe it's a common one.  How does heavy rock lead to Americana, and thence to Fairport?   Huh

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »

That's a weird route!  I can't believe it's a common one.  How does heavy rock lead to Americana, and thence to Fairport?   Huh

Jules

Slade/T-Rex -- Deep Purple/Humble Pie -- The Byrds/Jefferson Airplane -- Fairport Convention/Steeleye Span

Simple really...

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

Slade/T-Rex -- Deep Purple/Humble Pie -- The Byrds/Jefferson Airplane -- Fairport Convention/Steeleye Span

Simple really...

Oh, OK, when you said Americana I was thinking the recent version of that term, rather than 60s West Coast.  I get you now.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »

Jules

I have a couple of weird ones.

Steve Harley at Crystal Palace garden party 1975 - supported by Steeleye Span - started looking for individual members solo stuff - Ashley - Fairport.

And I guess quite a lot of people of my age grew up from glam rock to rock in general - Led Zeppelin - Sandy on 'BOE' - Who is that amazing woman singer ? - Who is this Fairport that she sang with ?

I first heard ( to my knowledge) Zep in the early months of '75 and ended up queueing for a day and night for Earls Court tickets, only the get into the doorway of the record shop selling them and the shout of 'All tickets here are sold out !'

Never did see Zep live, I had a ticket for the first Knebworth show and went down with glandular fever the week before.

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »

Led Zep at Earl's Court... queued for hours in St John's Market in Liverpool with a mate for 2 tickets - very few left when we got ours.

I drove us down to London, we dropped the car at mate's girlfriend's brother's place in Fulham & walked to the gig via a pub or two.  

Band comes on, goes into "Rock & Roll", Page skips across the stage, jackplug pops out of guitar, so we get a few bars in dub while a roadie scuttles on & fixes it!  I hadn't been a fan until then, but what a live band!

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: