TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lady: A Homage to Sandy Denny - tour details  (Read 40995 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

I think PP Arnold recorded with The Nice (before they were called that?)...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »

i think the nice were formed to be her backing band

The Dude abides
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

Memory malfunction again: I only remember The Nice playing frantic instrumentals. I must investigate that box in the attic...
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »

I don't recall any recordings from PP Arnold & The Nice (there's a suggestion she named them). She'd split from the band by the time they recorded their first album.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »

fabulous show last night at the bridgewater hall, set listwas the same as the barbican shows,i dont suppose there is much scope for changing the set in a show like this. Loads and loads of highlights,from the opener "a sailors life",  "john the gun", "Matty", "Quiet joys" with swarb and PP Arnold's set.
   The band were great and never missed a beat all night
only gripe: someone tell Bair Dunlop not to stick his hands in his pockets for the finale, it looked bloody awful

Here's what I just scribbled down on FB. Was slightly dreading the gig actually, but I really enjoyed it.  Anyone know why Swarb didn't stay to t'end?

"Outstanding 'homage' to Sandy last night at the Bridgewater...last night of the tour. Never the greatest idea to start with the best performance of the night (Lavinia Blackwall doing A Sailor's Life - the 2nd best version of this I've ever heard...the early years FC performance at the Barbican in 2009 surely has to top it), but there were many highlights throughout...Joan Wasser and Green Gartside surprised and delighted, I was totally won over by Thea Gilmore, and PP Arnold belted out Like an Old Fashioned Waltz in a style which thrilled but I can't say quite convinced me. Only real miss of the evening (and by a country mile) was Maddy Prior whose Fotheringay and John the Gun simply didn't work. Wrong voice, wrong songs, wrong dress, embarrassing dancing. Enough said. Having said that Maddy *very* nearly redeemed herself with some exquisite harmony on the Quiet Joys of Brotherhood in the 2nd half. Swarb seemed semi-detached from the ensemble...although nearly made me cry on the QJoB and didn't appear at the end sadly. Quite possibly one of the best Matty Groves I've ever heard too (from Ben Nicholls). The Bellowhead boys proved there is a whole lot more to them than the one trick pony band (it's a feckin' good trick, of course) they belong to... Surprise of the night for me was Blair Dunlop. Sans his excellent Albion Band I thought he might be a tad twee. He was far from it. Top, top gig. "

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

I don't recall any recordings from PP Arnold & The Nice (there's a suggestion she named them). She'd split from the band by the time they recorded their first album.

I seem to recall that it is P P Arnold's daughter whose voice is featured on America by the Nice?

I also seem to think that The First Cut is the Deepest was the first hit record on which Rod Stewart featured (playing harmonica) but this is probably an urban myth of Baker Street proportions?
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

I was at the Bridgewater Hall last night too, and so glad I was!

I too loved Lavinia's "A Sailor's Life" (and her frock!).  I thought Maddy's "John the Gun" was fantastic - she put her all into it.  My tingle factor moment was Maddy, Lavinia and Thea Gilmore singing "The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" with minimal accompaniment from Swarb.  I started off in the Choir Circle (on my own) but some friends who were in the 4th row of the stalls said there was an empty seat next to them, so I was much closer to the action in the second half!

Nice to see Jim and Scouser Tommy of this parish there too. Jim - I agree with you about Blair Dunlop and the pockets!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

I seem to recall that it is P P Arnold's daughter whose voice is featured on America by the Nice?

I also seem to think that The First Cut is the Deepest was the first hit record on which Rod Stewart featured (playing harmonica) but this is probably an urban myth of Baker Street proportions?

was there mouth organ on first cut? not on the version i remember. i know there was the myth that rod played it on millie's My boy lollipop

The Dude abides
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »

Patsy (PP) has an excellent website, with her journey through music detailed by decade:
http://www.pparnold.com/Articles/The-Journey-1964-1970.html

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »

I agree about Blair and his flaming pockets an' all! I was sitting dead in front of him as it goes, and could barely resist the temptation to tell him to tidy himself up. LOL! Very unprofessional attitude, I thought. He looked bored stiff! Okay, rant over.

I loved Maddy, Thea, Lavinia, The Band etc. PP Arnold is not really my cup of tea, although she does of course have an amazing voice. I know we should not put songs and singers into particular "boxes", but for me PP Arnold and "An Old Fashioned Waltz" just don't go together.  Undecided

A great night though!

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

I don't think it was unprofessionalism I think that's just his laid-back style and usual stage persona. And the good thing about this gig was that everyone approached it as themselves rather than trying to be a Sandy Denny era Fairport tribute act. Maddy for example was 100% her usual self on stage, but singing Sandy songs rather than Maddy songs.

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »

Fair enough Darren, but I think a laid back style is one thing - looking as though he wished he could just go home is quite another. That's how it seemed to me from the front row at Warwick Arts Centre anyhow. I have to confess that I might have forgiven his hands-in-his-pockets habit, had I enjoyed his music more. I didn't.  Lips Sealed

That's not dirt, it's patination!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

I like Blair, he's young, relaxed, obviously has a talent and I think is trying so hard to be himself and not be the 'do you know who I am related to....' act he could be. When I saw him and the Albions at Cromer I thought his jeans needed hitching up over his pants and then I remembered that 'we' are all 'old folk(g)ies' hehe. He doesn't show off and was definitely just part of that band.  Tiara

Loving the background Yobb, it matches my undies today  Grin Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »

What pray is wrong with putting one's hands in pockets when singing backing vocals? It's the voice that matters and his happens to be very good - at least he doesn't forget his words Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

there was a row of about 7 or eight singers all doing their best and himself was there on the end with his hands in his pockets , and it just looked slovenly and out of place.
 if he is so without stagecraft that he doesn't know what to do with his hands onstage, then he should have held a giutar

The Dude abides
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »

there was a row of about 7 or eight singers all doing their best and himself was there on the end with his hands in his pockets , and it just looked slovenly and out of place.
 if he is so without stagecraft that he doesn't know what to do with his hands onstage, then he should have held a giutar

Hey! Come on Jimbo you ole curmedgeon, it beats a finger in the ear!!!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »

Hey! Come on Jimbo you ole curmedgeon, it beats a finger in the ear!!!  Wink

Yes indeed!
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »

Quote from interview with Jerry D

I've recently been doing a tour called The Lady which is an homage to Sandy Denny. The idea is to show the breadth of Sandy's music – so we had a range of female singers from various genres like Maddy Prior from Steeleye Span, Thea Gilmore and P.P. Arnold. I'm also involved in producing an album from the tour.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »

well i'll probably buy it but they need to get these things out quickly otherwise the interweb makes live albums fairly redundant, plus they dont edit

The Dude abides
David Blake

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

I'll buy it too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: