TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lady: A Homage to Sandy Denny - tour details  (Read 40992 times)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

[
One little niggle - why is this in the Fairport Convention section of this site, when Sandy only spent a couple of relatively short periods of her career with the band and spent much of it trying to shake off the "folk singer" label?  (ducks)

Mainly because the show includes an interest for fans of the band as well as two ex-members and a third apparently on the merchandise table.

No need to duck though Grin

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:55 AM »

A wonderful evening at the Warwick Arts Centre. Attended the pre-show talk which was very interesting, despite the fact that the sound quality was poor (owing to the fact that the interviews were conducted many years ago and the tapes have suffered in the intervening years).

The show opened with "A Sailor's Life" sung by Lavinia Blackwall. A stunning rendition, IMO. Other highlights were Maddy Prior, Thea Gilmore, His Swarbness (naturally), Jerry Donahue, The Bellowhead crew and Nick Pynn. Most of the others were, umm, so-so I thought.  Lips Sealed

It was a lovely evening all told, and I very glad I was there. Young Stonier went down a storm. I was in the front row, and he was right in front of me. There was nearly a kidnap moment!  Shocked Grin

Good to catch up with a certain Chris Bates, photographer of this parish.

A night to remember.  Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »

It was all wonderful last night at the Barbican. A line up of fantastic musicians and performers. Maddy forgot some lyrics and started the song again after saying "I need to start again as I can't blag my way through this one..." But when she did it was Maddy at her very best.

PP Arnold also started her first song again twice due to a bad attack of nerves but once she got going it was amazing. She is offering a free download from her webpage of 'Take me away.'

http://www.pparnold.com/

Loved the 'backing' band and had no idea what a fantastic piano player  Andy Mellon from Bellowhead is!

A lot of great talent on that stage last night starting with young Stonier, aged 5 who has a good stage presence.  Wink

Chris Bates was there again watching not taking pics. The BBC cameras were in full force though. The only slight thing that spoilt it, from the side seating area was the Beeb camera guy on stage, sometimes standing in front of the artistes!!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »

Yes, it was wonderful indeed from the back row of the stalls in what must be the most comfortable seats in the house - great sound and performances from everyone. I was aware of the camera on stage but was not unduly bothered.

David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »

A super evening at the Barbican. Wonderful to hear Sailor's Life which I had never heard live despite it being the first Fairport track I ever heard. Though highlight was Quiet joys of brotherhood. Worth the price of admission for that alone
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »

It was certainly a memorable gig for me. I particularly enjoyed Maddy Prior and Thea Gilmore.

Sympathetic review in the FT here http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/08a1bee8-a413-11e1-84b1-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1vuqpEocD

and an unsympathetic one in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/9288203/Homage-to-Sandy-Denny-Barbican-review.html

StephenGiles

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »

I think that the Telegraph review is absolutely disgraceful - to put it mildly. Just who does this man Irwin think he is? Angry

I realised tody that the last time I saw PP Arnold live was at the Windsor Blues Festival in 1967 - just after Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and I took some super 8 silent movie of that which is still somewhere in our loft!

The performance ran for just under 2 1/2 hours at the Barbican, we spoke briefly to Swarb out in the street, who told us he was staying at The Thistle Hotel but he didn't seem sure which one - I think there are 2 or 3 in London - he said he would phone the hotel to find out.
David Blake

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »

The person in Row R of the stalls who coughed every few minutes has passed on their infection to me.  Weekend in bed, missing important annual event at work.  Thanks.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »

The person in Row R of the stalls who coughed every few minutes has passed on their infection to me.  Weekend in bed, missing important annual event at work.  Thanks.

jaysus ye have to suffer for art Cheesy

The Dude abides
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

I think it has to be counted as an occupational hazzard of concert-going that if you are in a packed 1,900 capacity venue you may well inadvertently catch something.

Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »

I think it has to be counted as an occupational hazzard of concert-going that if you are in a packed 1,900 capacity venue you may well inadvertently catch something.

I met marg my wife at a concert ... Be warned  Shocked
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »

I met marg my wife at a concert ... Be warned  Shocked

I met my wife in a night club, I was surprised, I thought she was at home looking after the kids!!  (Thank yew, the old ones are best!!) Roll Eyes

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
StephenGiles

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »

Was that an establishment formerly known as a "disco", or an upmarket establishment formerly known as a nightclub - and who know's what they are called now?
StephenGiles

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »

I don't think knows should have an apostrophe Roll Eyes
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »

If I may drag discussion back to the topic...  Wink

Here's my review of last week's gig at the Barbican:
http://sandydenny.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/lady-at-barbican.html

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

Nice review, Philip. I may be wrong about this, but I'm not sure it's quite accurate to call PP Arnold an "American visitor": I think she's lived here for over 40 years.
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »

Nice review, Philip. I may be wrong about this, but I'm not sure it's quite accurate to call PP Arnold an "American visitor": I think she's lived here for over 40 years.

I mainly knew of her through her excellent work with the Small Faces and until I saw her the other night I hadn't realised she was American!

StephenGiles

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »

I never knew about her connection with the Small Faces, I'll have to ask Kenny Jones about it next Mexican night at Hurtwood Park!
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »

You're quite right, Peter. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll change it.

Speaking of corrections, I'm pleased to see the Financial Times has responded to criticism and corrected the howler in the first sentence of their review.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

fabulous show last night at the bridgewater hall, set listwas the same as the barbican shows,i dont suppose there is much scope for changing the set in a show like this. Loads and loads of highlights,from the opener "a sailors life",  "john the gun", "Matty", "Quiet joys" with swarb and PP Arnold's set.
   The band were great and never missed a beat all night
only gripe: someone tell Bair Dunlop not to stick his hands in his pockets for the finale, it looked bloody awful

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: