TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:38:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Folk Rock Champions League  (Read 34341 times)
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »

Ain't it just...you started off agreeing with me, now I'm disagreeing with you Smiley

'Hold up Better'...what does that actually mean?  That you'll still prefer it in the decades to come?  You'll know best on that score, but as to a) critical opinion (whatever that is) and b) sales, I'd be almost willing to bet my very last penny (believe me I haven't got many to spare at the best of times) that you're wrong on this JitC business....  Having said that it is (by far) my favourite of the post 70's releases, but that's still, imho, a pretty low benchmark.

Hey, if we all agreed on everything there would be no discussions!

I just mean that L&L, to me, sounds very much of that era...both in performance and recording quality. "Jewel in the Crown," OTOH, sounds timeless...it for the most part avoided the cliches of the 80s and 90s (over use of sequenced synthesizers and overly compressed snare drum, for example).

I dislike "Full House" for the same reason, btw. The songs are fantastic, but the performances are limp and poorly recorded. Now "House Full," totally knocks me out and is one of my favorite records by, well ,anyone.

Btw, for interplay between RT and Swarb, I would have to go with "Smiddyburn." I have worn out 3 copies of that record!

I am aware my opinions on this subject are in the extreme minority. What can I say? My ears like what they like. Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

I'm not suggesting that L&L doesn't hold up or that it is in any way undeserving of all the accolades it receives. It was magnificent live at Cropredy three years ago. But for pure listening pleasure it is just not the album I enjoy most or the first one I reach for when I am in the mood for a bit of Fairport.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »

I dislike "Full House" for the same reason, btw. The songs are fantastic, but the performances are limp and poorly recorded. Now "House Full," totally knocks me out and is one of my favorite records by, well ,anyone.

House Full would be OK if there were more songs and less tunes on it.  The running order is just plain odd.  Full House does have tentative vocals, but the band plays with lots of verve and muscle, and the expanded CD version is quite possibly my favourite single disc of Fairport.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »

House Full would be OK if there were more songs and less tunes on it.  The running order is just plain odd.  Full House does have tentative vocals, but the band plays with lots of verve and muscle, and the expanded CD version is quite possibly my favourite single disc of Fairport.

Jules

I agree about the songs/tunes. And I confess I have not heard the expanded version of FH, so I have no opinion there! I would give away my grandmother's pension to be allowed to remix Full House---an arrogant dream, I admit. But I'd still love to do it. Smiley
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »

For me, a proper folk-rock champions league would have to include No Roses, The Battle of the Field, Rise Up Like the Sun, The Mysteries, Alright Jack, Please to See the King, Moving Hearts, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, The Night of a Thousand Candles, Basket of Light, The Tain, Dancehall Sweethearts, Country Life, The Man in the Moon Drinks Claret, Low Culture, Chemins de Terre and Alan Stivell a l'Olympia.

And actually, loads of others.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »

I would give away my grandmother's pension to be allowed to remix Full House---an arrogant dream, I admit. But I'd still love to do it. Smiley

I'll sit in with you as assistant if I may!

There's also that (mostly) unreleased 1970 session from L.A. that produced the Full House CD bonus version of Bonny Bunch Of Roses.  They cut other stuff there including remakes of Walk Awhile, Sir Patrick Spens and Dirty Linen.  I so wish that stuff would see the light of day.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »

For me, a proper folk-rock champions league would have to include No Roses, The Battle of the Field, Rise Up Like the Sun, The Mysteries, Alright Jack, Please to See the King, Moving Hearts, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, The Night of a Thousand Candles, Basket of Light, The Tain, Dancehall Sweethearts, Country Life, The Man in the Moon Drinks Claret, Low Culture, Chemins de Terre and Alan Stivell a l'Olympia.

That may yet come to pass, though the competitors would need to be sufficiently well known to a large number of TAWers to make it work. But would any of them beat L&L?
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »

I personally prefer Unhalfbricking but I reckon No Roses, Battle Of The Field and Rise Up Like The Sun are contenders to beat L & L.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »

are we entering a debate between favourite and best?

my favourite fairport album is probably Nine closley followed by Tipplers Tales, I iknow they're not the best but they're the ones I listen to most and enjoy the most.

DW
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »

What he said!

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »

are we entering a debate between favourite and best?

my favourite fairport album is probably Nine closley followed by Tipplers Tales, I iknow they're not the best but they're the ones I listen to most and enjoy the most.

DW

That is sort of my point. I guess it comes down to what people's criteria are when they are taking part in an exercise like this when they are looking at the individual fixtures. In my case it is not what history has adjudged to be the finer or more important album but which of them I enjoy listening to the most.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: