TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Folk Rock Champions League  (Read 34344 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

Battle of the Field v No Roses

It's true.  No Roses should have been in this thing somewhere.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »

Liege & Lief v I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight

Not that it's going to make much difference Sad

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »

Danger, Danger .... I am going into overload...failure to compute....the result is....47

Liege and Lief v I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »

Liege and Lief v I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
 - what a surprise
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »

Spoiled ballot paper on this one I'm afraid. It's like those two blokes at Wimbledon endlessly bashing away at each other.

Oh, alright then - Liege & Lief v I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, but only by a gnat's crotchet!

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 06:33:46 PM »

You know it makes sense Wink

johnnysaint

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »

Liege & Lief v I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight[/b

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »

"With no other choice except for to go" for Liege and Lief v I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

Liege & Lief v I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

C'mon ye Bright Lights - the fightback starts here!

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »

Liege & Lief v I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

Cheers for delaying the deadline.  A very very tough call but while L&L is more influential the songs on Bright Lights are peerless.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

Time to blow the whistle on this.

The final result is:

Liege & Lief lots, I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, very few.

I am a little disappointed by this, not by the result which I think was inevitable but I hoped it would be closer.

Somebody is seriously going to have to explain the all conquering power of Liege & Lief to me. I bow to no man in my devotion to Fairport but is L&L really head and shoulders above everything else? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand its importance, significance and influence but does that necessarily make it their most enjoyable record or the best of the genre? As Fairport favourites go, it is not even in my top 6. So I am seriously asking, what is it that I can't hear, beyond its historical significance, that makes it so loved and so much better than everything else (and unbeatable in any competition like this)?

Anyway, that can of worms notwithstanding, congratulations to Liege & Lief on their victory. However a handicap may have to be considered in any future tournament to level the playing field a little.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »

I bow to no man in my devotion to Fairport but is L&L really head and shoulders above everything else? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand its importance, significance and influence but does that necessarily make it their most enjoyable record or the best of the genre? As Fairport favourites go, it is not even in my top 6. So I am seriously asking, what is it that I can't hear, beyond its historical significance, that makes it so loved and so much better than everything else (and unbeatable in any competition like this)?

The production is a little wooden, but the performances still sound fresh and filled with inspiration.  It's a work of genius.  It's consistently top drawer.  It has at least 4, possibly even 6, folk rock legends all working together for the only time in history forging something truly wonderful.  Other Fairport albums may have higher highs, but none of them can match Liege & Lief for its total brilliance over the full playing time.  That's why I think it's still The One.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

I bow to no man in my devotion to Fairport but is L&L really head and shoulders above everything else? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand its importance, significance and influence but does that necessarily make it their most enjoyable record or the best of the genre? As Fairport favourites go, it is not even in my top 6. So I am seriously asking, what is it that I can't hear, beyond its historical significance, that makes it so loved and so much better than everything else (and unbeatable in any competition like this)?

The production is a little wooden, but the performances still sound fresh and filled with inspiration. it's a work of genius. it's consistently top drawer.  It has at least 4, possibly even 6, folk rock legends all working together for the only time in history forging something truly wonderful.  Other Fairport albums may have higher highs, but none of them can match Liege & Lief for its total brilliance over the full playing time.  That's why I think it's still The One.

Jules

Please post your top six. I personally have a soft spot for Babbacombe Lee, but if someone says liege and lief is better I know why. The is not just an original, it showcases the best qualities of traditional interpretation with electric instruments, peaks of songwriting from Thompson with both Farewell, Farewell and Crazy Man Michael, the playing from all is exemplary and displays the exuberance of youth and energy of those exploring new ideas. There are so many high points the bass line on tamlyn, the instrumentals, the first and most inspiring version of Matty Groves and some of Sandy's best vocals, not a bad moment. This is without having the rose tinted view of being there at the time.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »

I think GubGub is correct in that some votes were probably for significance, influence etc. but its impact musically holds up for all the reasons Brendan stated. All bias aside, the interplay between RT & Swarb is still genuinely exciting and the whole album still sounds fresh to me.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »

I was talking to someone who is slowly coming round to the idea of it being a classic album yesterday and encouraging him along, although I did add "...but if you think that's good, wait till you hear Full House!". I think the band played and sang better together as a group, had written better songs, and had more quality time to stretch out and work on material at their own pace before committing it to tape. Mind you, I wasn't there.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »

Somebody is seriously going to have to explain the all conquering power of Liege & Lief to me. I bow to no man in my devotion to Fairport but is L&L really head and shoulders above everything else? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand its importance, significance and influence but does that necessarily make it their most enjoyable record or the best of the genre? As Fairport favourites go, it is not even in my top 6. So I am seriously asking, what is it that I can't hear, beyond its historical significance, that makes it so loved and so much better than everything else (and unbeatable in any competition like this)?

I could have written that myself.  In fact I had to check to see I hadn't (as I have written similar things on here in the past)....

Well said (or asked, at least!), that man.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »

I could have written that myself.  In fact I had to check to see I hadn't (as I have written similar things on here in the past)....

Well said (or asked, at least!), that man.

Couldn't agree more...fabulous for its day, but I just don't think it holds up all that well. "Unhalfbricking," for example, sounds much fresher today. And to my ear, "Jewel in the Crown" will likely hold up better in the decades to come over any of the early records.

But it's all subjective, I realize.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »

And to my ear, "Jewel in the Crown" will likely hold up better in the decades to come over any of the early records.

But it's all subjective, I realize.

Ain't it just...you started off agreeing with me, now I'm disagreeing with you Smiley

'Hold up Better'...what does that actually mean?  That you'll still prefer it in the decades to come?  You'll know best on that score, but as to a) critical opinion (whatever that is) and b) sales, I'd be almost willing to bet my very last penny (believe me I haven't got many to spare at the best of times) that you're wrong on this JitC business....  Having said that it is (by far) my favourite of the post 70's releases, but that's still, imho, a pretty low benchmark.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

It isn't my favourite either. But we were all consulted, and that's how the result occured.

I took the first copy of L&L to Leeds Poly Disco, and they played Medley side 2.track 2. If there were 300 young students in there, probably 275 of them had never heard of Fairport. I've never experienced anything like it before or since. The whole of the 300 just went wild, with a capital wild.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:17:37 PM by terrrrrrrr (David) » Logged

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: