TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:52:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Strange Throat Singer  (Read 33678 times)
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »

Thanks Yabb.

In no way did I make a personal attack on Ruth... I never do (in public at least  Wink)

Thanks Jeremy for dragging me into this.. just what I need!

Yes I am sad (but only cos my mother is dying), yes I am old(ish) at 55 (actually in my prime).
But in no way am I lonely nor do I need to get out more.

I repeat.. I did not make a personal attack re Ruth, just an observation.

Now Jude I'd love that cuppa please  Kiss

PS I'm not bonkers either..... though I must be to have resoponded to this...

Oh and Fairport is my fave band and I'm proud of that!

Amethyst! Sweetie, please do reread what Jeremy said. What he was saying was that he wasn't calling you a sad old bag. That if he had done, it would have been out of order. Don't take on.

Yes, I think we could all do with that cup of tea. I suppose that, while no opinion should be proscribed, there are entities which are so dear to people's hearts that feelings are liable to run high when those entities are criticised.

Mine's an Earl Grey, fairly strong, no sugar, dash of milk, please.  

Smiths
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

I think most people attend Cropredy for the magic moment of joining in together with FC for MOTL at the close of the festival.

Hmmm - I sure hope so, Bob - but in the past few years, those that know nothing (or very little) of the history are getting larger by the year. Whether that has reached the magic 50% yet I don't know.....in my view, that's a shame - but as I said earlier - as long as the tickets sell, does it matter who to?

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »

I think most people attend Cropredy for the magic moment of joining in together with FC for MOTL at the close of the festival.

Hmmm - I sure hope so, Bob - but in the past few years, those that know nothing (or very little) of the history are getting larger by the year. Whether that has reached the magic 50% yet I don't know.....in my view, that's a shame - but as I said earlier - as long as the tickets sell, does it matter who to?

The few pages of history, page 72 in this year's prog should have helped the uninitiated. Similar articles in future years re the History of FC, perhaps?

Regular instruction to Cropredy Virgins over the preceding few months by their friends, I have found helps. Occasionally such CVs buy me a beer just to shut me up, I find  Grin
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »

I think that since the organisational responsibilities for the festival changed a few years ago there has been a stronger commercial imperative to ensure that the festival at the very least breaks even. That means scheduling bigger name bands who will ensure an audience that perhaps Fairport could not attract in their own right. Those people will stay for the whole festival but a proportion of them at least will be less interested in Fairport than they are in some of the other acts and for those of us who have been attending for many years that is a strange but necessary change in the demographic.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »

Good point about the screen. If all 18000-20000 people were in the field at once, how full would it be? I don't have any concept of what 20000 people look like. It's easy at Crops to see the whole field so I suppose you can spot empty spaces. FC seemed pretty full to me, but I was about 10 rows back, dead centre, so it would. The queues for the front-of-field loos were pretty long, and, as has been said, the bottleneck for the bridge was pretty bottlenecky.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »

I think that since the organisational responsibilities for the festival changed a few years ago there has been a stronger commercial imperative to ensure that the festival at the very least breaks even.

I concur up till here....

That means scheduling bigger name bands who will ensure an audience that perhaps Fairport could not attract in their own right. Those people will stay for the whole festival but a proportion of them at least will be less interested in Fairport than they are in some of the other acts and for those of us who have been attending for many years that is a strange but necessary change in the demographic.

Why not schedule bigger name bands that *would* attract the sort of audience that would far more likely be sympathetic to Fairport's music?
There's a big nu-folk (or alt-folk, call it what you will) movement out there whose larger acts regularly attract 1000 at any gig.....Laura Marling, Newton Faulkner for two. They'd pull in just as many as a Nik Kershaw probably did.....

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »

Interesting. Have you got any other years or days to compare it with? Do you normally wander about during FC?

Only another 17 Cropredys or so back to '85.  Wander about?  Only if I'm in need of a pee/cider or I'm bored.  I was bored (and trying to escape some annoying 'youths') during Yusuf so wandered off...  I left the field at the end of the Babbacombe Lee section and sang MotL from the comfort of my tent.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

Why not schedule bigger name bands that *would* attract the sort of audience that would far more likely be sympathetic to Fairport's music?

Agreed, but then it would be a folk festival  Cheesy

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »

They'd pull in just as many as a Nik Kershaw probably did.....

Ignoring the merits of his music (I'm not a fan - and I thought the set was sacharine to say the least), I refuse to believe that having Nik Kershaw on the bill added a single person to the audience...just as I refuse to believe that having the Buzzcocks or Feast of Fiddles playing added a single person (and the former might have actually reduced it, sad as I might think that to be).  The headliners make (ie a Steve Winwood fan might come and investigate what is what) a difference of course...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

Agreed, but then it would be a folk festival  Cheesy

..and half the audience would be instantly disenfranchised.  Sad possibly (but true).

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

They'd pull in just as many as a Nik Kershaw probably did.....

Ignoring the merits of his music (I'm not a fan - and I thought the set was sacharine to say the least), I refuse to believe that having Nik Kershaw on the bill added a single person to the audience...just as I refuse to believe that having the Buzzcocks or Feast of Fiddles playing added a single person (and the former might have actually reduced it, sad as I might think that to be).  The headliners make (ie a Steve Winwood fan might come and investigate what is what) a difference of course...

Yes, I was thinking of the headliners, particularly last year. I like Nik Kershaw but I don't think he was added to the bill this year to pull in extra crowds. He was there because Ric Sanders is a fan.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

..and half the audience would be instantly disenfranchised.  Sad possibly (but true).

BUT - instead, they would draw in the youth (20-somethings) that all foillow these acts - and lower the age demographic that FC are oft quoted as wanting to do.....surely that's better than any 40+ something that Nik Kershaw brought in.....(I'm with you in thinking he brought very few or none in, but am of the view that his fee would have been such that he was added to the bill to draw extra ticket sales)

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »

I can see the argument Chris but I'm not convinced.  Not disagreeing, just not convinced.

I agree that headliners are important but a solid undercard is equally so and can often make up for the lack of a big name.  A festival ticket is a lot of money to see two names for instance but not so much to see seven or eight smaller ones.  I suspect that, while every one on the bill has their adherents, to the casual purchaser a lot of the acts prompt a "who?" rather than a "yes!"

At a slight tangent, what I would like is the ability to buy day tickets for Thursday or Friday.  Other commitments, and to be fair, lack of interest, meant I didn't go this year for the full thing but I'd have liked the opportunity to go just for Friday.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »

I don't think they book acts to bring in a specific demograph. There are so many festivals on these days that it's probably a case of who is available, how much will they cost against the budget and do they (as in the organisers) like them. Nik Kershaw might not have brought in any extras (he tours a lot so anyone desperate to see him would have had ample opportunity over the last 20 years) but he had a large crowd in the mosh and lots of people singing along to him all over the field, clearly enjoying themselves, so job's a goodun.

As good as the acts are (and they are all quality, even if it's not your bag) they're never going to suit everyone. It's a bit odd to go to Cropredy if you don't like FC, (although saying that I'm not a Levellers fan but I'd go to Beautiful Days) but there's no law about it, same as there's no law stating everyone must sit, or stand and dance or whatever. Yes you expect people to be considerate to others but if you see someone standing in front of you dancing and singing and having a good time, are you being considerate to their feelings by asking them to sit?  Undecided

Not sure where I'm going with this now so I'm off to lunch. TTFN.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

well as this thread is still going strong I guess its one up to the trolls!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

well as this thread is still going strong I guess its one up to the trolls!

Oddly I don't think Ruth was a Troll. (and I hate Trolls)
She certainly acted like one and her original post had all the hallmarks, but she did just post it in one place.
Maybe that's just how she saw it and it wasn't what she expected or wanted.

Fair enough I suppose.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »

Ruth never posted in this thread as far as I can tell, it started as a comment on her post on the Fairport site and then deteriorated for awhile before being revived as a discussion on Cropredy as an experience.

What confuses me is how attached people are to their opinions and how hurt they can get about other peoples. Does it really matter if she didn't like the show, everyone's experience is different.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »

It's an odd reaction, isn't it?

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

This may not be the right thread but.......
I am not writing this to be contentious , i am not a troll and it's quite sad that i have to start a post with comments that sound defensive.
I have listened to Fairports for over 40 yrs. I have attended 20 plus Cropredys. I attend Cropredy with friends who have been going longer than me.
We decided not to go on the main field this yr although had a fabby day in the village on Sat and Leatherat were great. As i have said in other threads my reasons for not going were principally the line up but we were disappointed at the fairport set in 2008, not the guests, not the Sandy bit but funnilly enough the Babacombe Lee bits which have always been a favourite album and line up.
My wife loves Chris Leslie, his voice and song writing have brought something to the band but for me he has contributed to them losing their drive, the rock bit of folk rock, As somebody has said before 'take the best folk fiddler in the country and put him on mandolin.!'(it may just be age on both their and my part!)
I  hope i am allowed an opinion and it's one i would like to discuss. I don't think I'm stuck in a Sandy /RT time warp ,i have loved various incarnations of the band. I am the guy who still listens to 'Wounded Whale!'
I probably am an old f**t but Cropredy changed for me when it became three days, it changed again without Chris Peggs influence. I understand the reasons for change.
I just hope that this board remains  a place where i can say, 'I didn't like Fairports set or album etc' without becoming the anti christ.
Ruth is entitled to say she found the set dull. Talking about why she felt that and the feelings i have expressed above is surely what a music forum is for.?
Of to the realities of work and the real world.

That's all fine...but why the defensiveness?  You're allowed to say you don't enjoy something.  You've said it nicely.  No problem, is there?

David, the point i was trying to make with the defensiveness was that some people  have felt they can't express an opinion, which may go against thw majority, without being jumped on so they are almost apologising for their opinion.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »

Ruth is entitled to say she found the set dull. Talking about why she felt that and the feelings i have expressed above is surely what a music forum is for.?

But it would have been better if she had stuck a in bit of analysis. More about why she thought FC were dull dull dull. She just sounded like a stroppy child. Also I just don't believe that the field cleared when FC came on. She just saw what she chose to see.

I agree. i was just trying to stimulate a discussion re music
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: