TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:57:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Strange Throat Singer  (Read 33681 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »

haven't read the article, not gonna, but i have to ask what is trolling?

and point out that maybe there were some tibetan throat chanters there that were only audibe to some people......... Roll Eyes Wink

it'll be fine.......
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

Trolling is deliberately contentious posting, intended to stir things up for the Troll's entertainment and hopefully start a flame war.
It's very difficult to stop, because the Troll's next responce will be to complain that criticism isn't being allowed.

On TAW we normally ask the author for to expand on the reasons for their criticism. If they respond with a fair argument then no problem.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »

Trolling is deliberately contentious posting, intended to stir things up for the Troll's entertainment and hopefully start a flame war.
It's very difficult to stop, because the Troll's next responce will be to complain that criticism isn't being allowed.

On TAW we normally ask the author for to expand on the reasons for their criticism. If they respond with a fair argument then no problem.

thanks yobb x

it'll be fine.......
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »

Anyway who said being a throat singer was a bad thing?

Rod Stewart made a couple of bob out of it!

Interesting that further through the comments that follow 'Ruth's' contribution is the suggestion that :  No Fairport = no Festival.  What do we think about that?   I can see the obvious: it is Fairport's Cropredy Convention.  But one of the things we all love is the Fairport ethos: 'Fairport' is bigger than any individual, 'Fairport' stands for good music whatever the genre,  Fairport supports talent young and old.

Just as Fairport can go on with personnel changes would the band want everything else that the Cropredy Festival stands for to finish if they do.  Has not the 'Fairport machine' bred enough civilised, respectable, honest people to want to continue this festival with out them?

(Although I can see that the other half of the equation (Fairport's Cropredy Convention) might not want to trust anyone else with their village!)

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »

I think most people attend Cropredy for the magic moment of joining in together with FC for MOTL at the close of the festival.

It would not be Cropredy without Fairport IMO. If Fairport were not there, Cropredy would not likely figure into my travel plans for when I finally can afford to make the trip to blighty (maybe next summer if things continue to work out ...  Smiley). I'm thinking I'm not alone in that.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »

Anyway who said being a throat singer was a bad thing?

Rod Stewart made a couple of bob out of it!

Interesting that further through the comments that follow 'Ruth's' contribution is the suggestion that :  No Fairport = no Festival.  What do we think about that?   I can see the obvious: it is Fairport's Cropredy Convention.  But one of the things we all love is the Fairport ethos: 'Fairport' is bigger than any individual, 'Fairport' stands for good music whatever the genre,  Fairport supports talent young and old.

Just as Fairport can go on with personnel changes would the band want everything else that the Cropredy Festival stands for to finish if they do.  Has not the 'Fairport machine' bred enough civilised, respectable, honest people to want to continue this festival with out them?

(Although I can see that the other half of the equation (Fairport's Cropredy Convention) might not want to trust anyone else with their village!)

...And the VILLAGE(S) might not want to trust anyone else; the long history and slow evolution of this festival has probably ensured good relations between the band, the village and other people involved in the organisation of the event - so I think any transition in the form or 'ownership' of the fesival would have to be gradual, and sensitivly handled.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

I done some singin' with my froat today. And my mouth. And I reckon a bit come out my nose an' all. But it started down my froat.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:07 AM »

I've read somewhere that the village will not permit a festival which is not run by Fairport - and can see their point. I'd be very apprehensive if a "generic" 20,000 licence music festival were to be held so close to my home.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:32 AM »

That's a limiting viewpoint. Fairport cannot go on forever - perhaps another 10 years and that'll be that.  Would you want to close one (or both) pub(s) and the village stores and lose considerable income to the village on a point of principle so ill-founded?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »

I'd imagine that enough people would be concerned to cause some lively local debate, with some feeling that the loss of pubs and stores worth the peace of mind.

Careful continuance and evolution will be necessary to keep relations with the village sweet. For example, feral drunken yoof are bad enough on the camping fields, their running riot in the village would be a PR disaster. I'm glad steps are being taken to discourage them.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 07:11:38 AM »

This may not be the right thread but.......
I am not writing this to be contentious , i am not a troll and it's quite sad that i have to start a post with comments that sound defensive.
I have listened to Fairports for over 40 yrs. I have attended 20 plus Cropredys. I attend Cropredy with friends who have been going longer than me.
We decided not to go on the main field this yr although had a fabby day in the village on Sat and Leatherat were great. As i have said in other threads my reasons for not going were principally the line up but we were disappointed at the fairport set in 2008, not the guests, not the Sandy bit but funnilly enough the Babacombe Lee bits which have always been a favourite album and line up.
My wife loves Chris Leslie, his voice and song writing have brought something to the band but for me he has contributed to them losing their drive, the rock bit of folk rock, As somebody has said before 'take the best folk fiddler in the country and put him on mandolin.!'(it may just be age on both their and my part!)
I  hope i am allowed an opinion and it's one i would like to discuss. I don't think I'm stuck in a Sandy /RT time warp ,i have loved various incarnations of the band. I am the guy who still listens to 'Wounded Whale!'
I probably am an old f**t but Cropredy changed for me when it became three days, it changed again without Chris Peggs influence. I understand the reasons for change.
I just hope that this board remains  a place where i can say, 'I didn't like Fairports set or album etc' without becoming the anti christ.
Ruth is entitled to say she found the set dull. Talking about why she felt that and the feelings i have expressed above is surely what a music forum is for.?
Of to the realities of work and the real world.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »

This may not be the right thread but.......
I am not writing this to be contentious , i am not a troll and it's quite sad that i have to start a post with comments that sound defensive.
I have listened to Fairports for over 40 yrs. I have attended 20 plus Cropredys. I attend Cropredy with friends who have been going longer than me.
We decided not to go on the main field this yr although had a fabby day in the village on Sat and Leatherat were great. As i have said in other threads my reasons for not going were principally the line up but we were disappointed at the fairport set in 2008, not the guests, not the Sandy bit but funnilly enough the Babacombe Lee bits which have always been a favourite album and line up.
My wife loves Chris Leslie, his voice and song writing have brought something to the band but for me he has contributed to them losing their drive, the rock bit of folk rock, As somebody has said before 'take the best folk fiddler in the country and put him on mandolin.!'(it may just be age on both their and my part!)
I  hope i am allowed an opinion and it's one i would like to discuss. I don't think I'm stuck in a Sandy /RT time warp ,i have loved various incarnations of the band. I am the guy who still listens to 'Wounded Whale!'
I probably am an old f**t but Cropredy changed for me when it became three days, it changed again without Chris Peggs influence. I understand the reasons for change.
I just hope that this board remains  a place where i can say, 'I didn't like Fairports set or album etc' without becoming the anti christ.
Ruth is entitled to say she found the set dull. Talking about why she felt that and the feelings i have expressed above is surely what a music forum is for.?
Of to the realities of work and the real world.

That's all fine...but why the defensiveness?  You're allowed to say you don't enjoy something.  You've said it nicely.  No problem, is there?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »

no problem at all hendo. xxx
i love some FC stuff, can't abide others, but i am the same with tull and i consider them to be one of my highest rated bands ever.  everyone has their down times.  and eeryone is entitled to their opinion.

i could spout about how much my better half can't be doing with FC and he only comes to crop to meet up with good people and humour me, but i won't.

much more likely to see you sat now hendo, if ya know what i mean.   are dogs allowed?

abby xx (tank girl)

it'll be fine.......
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

But it would have been better if she had stuck a in bit of analysis. More about why she thought FC were dull dull dull. She just sounded like a stroppy child. Also I just don't believe that the field cleared when FC came on. She just saw what she chose to see.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »

Hi Hendo, yes you were polite, that's the difference between you and Ruth. Tone is everything on the Internet, given that body language (about 70% of our face to face communication) is absent. Ruth's tone was combative, hence the response.

K.

N.B. If the field did clear after Fairport came on, I dread to think what the exit would have been like with a full field  Wink

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »

Hi Hendo, yes you were polite, that's the difference between you and Ruth. Tone is everything on the Internet, given that body language (about 70% of our face to face communication) is absent. Ruth's tone was combative, hence the response.

K.

N.B. If the field did clear after Fairport came on, I dread to think what the exit would have been like with a full field  Wink

Spot on.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

But it would have been better if she had stuck a in bit of analysis. More about why she thought FC were dull dull dull. She just sounded like a stroppy child. Also I just don't believe that the field cleared when FC came on. She just saw what she chose to see.

After I left the 'front' after Yusuf was on, I was amazed at how sparsely populated the field was during the Fairport set.  A large percentage of those remaining in the top 2/3 of the field seemed - to me - entirely disengaged from the music taking place.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »

Interesting. Have you got any other years or days to compare it with? Do you normally wander about during FC?
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »

Interesting. Have you got any other years or days to compare it with? Do you normally wander about during FC?

If he normally doesn't, it would be illuminating in itself if this were the first year he did.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

After I left the 'front' after Yusuf was on, I was amazed at how sparsely populated the field was during the Fairport set.  A large percentage of those remaining in the top 2/3 of the field seemed - to me - entirely disengaged from the music taking place.

I think it has often been like that. From the back of the sound tower down, whether sitting or standing, most people are paying attention to the stage but I have noticed on many occasions when I have had to make my way up to the toilets during Fairport's set that there are many people for whom the music is perhaps more incidental to their other activities.

Incidentally, I do wonder whether the screen is part of the reason for less people standing up during Fairport's set. In the olden days you had to stand up to see the stage and once you were up you may as well jig about a bit. Now it seems that a lot of people, perhaps as a result of getting older, are not too worried about seeing the stage provide that they can see the screen and hear the music. I always used to go and stand somewhere near the front for Fairport's set but somehow I have made a subconscious decision not to to that for the last three years, possibly because th screen has fooled me into thinking I can see what is going on. I still like to stand up though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: