TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Strange Throat Singer  (Read 33685 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 09:11:08 AM »

This is really odd. This whole thread is descending into unpleasantness over someone's thoughts who doesn't even post here.
The question was who was she referring to when she called someone a Throat Singer? and no one can work out who she meant. That's fine! And as we keep saying people can have differing opinions, but there also needs to be the opportunity to say why one doesn't agree with another.

And naturally on this board you will find people wanting to defend Fairport because that is really what has brought this forum together. Fairport's Cropredy Convention  is really not like any other festival because it based around the one band - Fairport, and one village -Cropredy, so to suggest that Fairport shouldn't take the main headlining Saturday spot is a little bizarre to say the least. Perhaps it should be based around another village as well then it would become something completely else.

Well I've actually lost track of what I was trying to say now, not unlike this whole thread. Roll Eyes

Shall we have a cup of tea? Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »

Saying Faiport were dull doesn't denigrates everyone who likes them, and if you thought she was a troll why not say so instead of attacking her personally?

I repeat, double standards, but just to be clear (and obviously I don't think this), imagine the opprobrium that would descend on my head were I to say, apropos Amethyst's comment that Faiport were her fave band that there are hundreds of better bands so she must be bonkers and a sad lonely old woman who needs to get out more.

Not often I get out of Pugwash and become Mr Amethyst, I understand the point you are making but think perhaps you're enjoying winding the board up. To say imagine the (what ever that word is) that would descend on my head... and then say it, well ....

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 09:37:07 AM »

I have no intention of winding anyone up, I'm simply pointing out that some people on here seem to feel it acceptable to make personal attacks on somebody they don't know and who doesn't even post on here, simply because they disagree with her.  Again, because some people ddidn't seem to understand what I meant I demonstrated the point, while clearly saying that don't I think anything of the sort.  If Amethyst is offended by me using her post as an example, and I hope she isn't, then I apologise to her.

Ruth said Fairport were dull and killed the atmosphere.  Obviously people here will disagree with that and that's fine (though one might hope for something better than "oh no they weren't") but disagreeing doesn't invalidate her opinion or entitle people to make personal attacks on her.  She also said that lots of people left, which someone earlier on this thread has backed up.

If I drank tea, I'd take you up on that Jude  Smiley

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »

Actually most of this topic has been about trying to understand Ruth's comments and there haven't really been personal attacks. (There is always the 'Report to Moderator' button)

The original post on the Fairport site was obviously highly provocative and Ruth (who could be anybody) clearly understood that. I would have said that the responce both there and here has been restrained.

Jeremy I would say that you were also being deliberately provocative. Your second name isn't Ruth is it?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »

Well you would be wrong Colin but I've said what I have to say on this so I shall leave the thread alone now.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »

Thanks Yabb.

In no way did I make a personal attack on Ruth... I never do (in public at least  Wink)

Thanks Jeremy for dragging me into this.. just what I need!

Yes I am sad (but only cos my mother is dying), yes I am old(ish) at 55 (actually in my prime).
But in no way am I lonely nor do I need to get out more.

I repeat.. I did not make a personal attack re Ruth, just an observation.

Now Jude I'd love that cuppa please  Kiss

PS I'm not bonkers either..... though I must be to have resoponded to this...

Oh and Fairport is my fave band and I'm proud of that!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »

To us FC will always be the highlight of Cropredy. We do take our hat off to Gareth for letting the post's run on the FC site. It show's an openness to different opinions, whether they be good, bad or indifferent. Those that are younger and only see it as a festival will never have the same loyalty as us old'un's. When they post their opinions, they are not thinking it may offend. They just see it as a forum where they can voice their view, after all they have grown up with forums, txts, myspace, msn, where they just post what they feel at that moment in time, with no worry of offence, because most of their "friends" do not take offence anyway. We are maybe being presumptuous that Ruth is probably of this generation, however well done Gareth for allowing differing viewpoints.

C & M

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
SallyC

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »

I am bonkers but not lonely and sad. I think the more people that respond to comments like the ones that Ruth made, the more you add fuel to the fire. If she didn't like it then hey, thats her opinion and if as a fan you can't take your favourite band being criticised then thats your problem. The more comments that are made means there is more chance that someone may get upset. I remember a few years ago, people on here criticising Ric. As a friend of his I found this upsetting but instead of retalliating I chose to ignore and not read.
Please lets not take other people's opinions as personal insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As far as the throat singer goes. I thought it was Simon she was talking about. Do I agree, definately not!!!
Smiles
Sally x
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »

She must be talking about Sid Kipper. No comment.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:03 PM »

Well I've actually lost track of what I was trying to say now, not unlike this whole thread. Roll Eyes

Shall we have a cup of tea? Cheesy

Well said !!!  
And by the way, the two best catering stands for me were the Welsh Oggis and the one nearby that had lovely cakes+tea. Come to think of it, what we really need is a catering stand offering cream teas & cakes - that would be perfection!
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

Hmmmm....

I do think there has been some trolling going on though....  Fairport's Cropredy Convention without Fairport.... well the clue's in the name, isn't it?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

Sorry, folks. I didn't mean to start a fight!!!

"Ruth" is entitled to her views and to express them wherever and however she wants. The rest of us can choose to ignore them. After all, people here are happy to criticise plenty of the performers at Cropredy. (There have been much worse comments than "dull dull dull")

As Jude says, above, I was merely wondering who on earth she meant by "that strange throat singer"! Hence the title of the thread (which is not "Ruth")

PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »

yes I am old(ish) at 55

Blimey.  That's only a year older than me. Am I old?
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »

yes I am old(ish) at 55

55 is the new 45... so that makes you both young(ish) not old(ish)!
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »

And there's a real throat singer on Shooglenifty's CD "Troots" if anyone is interested...
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »

Did make a comment on a previous link that certain people in certain bands are beyond criticism, clearly I must have been wrong.
"Wrong" about what? The idea that certain people in certain bands (meaning FC, I imagine) are "beyond criticism"? if so, I heartily agree that you were wrong ... well done for coming to the correct conclusion. I'm sure it must have been because you saw all the comments about Fairport's "flat" performance in the Cropredy Chatter and Reviews topics, right? or was it from going back in the archives and reading some of the harsh things that were said about Sense Of Occasion when that cd came out? Or was it the criticism that is often levelled against Ric's playing style that convinced you?

You might want to help point Jeremy in the same direction ...
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »

yes I am old(ish) at 55

Sorry I meant that tongue in cheek  Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

Anyway who said being a throat singer was a bad thing?
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »

yes I am old(ish) at 55

Sorry I meant that tongue in cheek  Wink

Of course!  Wink
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »

Right. I'm off to form a band called That Starnge Throat Singer. We're already famous and have quite a following.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: