TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Albert Hall fundraiser for Teenage Cancer Trust  (Read 38444 times)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »

Kate Rusby was brilliant.Never seen her before but will definitely be seeing her again.What a lovely voice,it had me welling up two songs in.
I'm not familiar with Eliza Carthy's work though i saw her as support for Joan Baez a few years ago.I knew nothing whatsoever about Seth Lakeman but enjoyed it all the same.
Can somebody post the sets of those two please ?
The other bloke who sang two songs was very good as well...................
JohnT

Loc: North Kent

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

Reg Meuross http://www.regmeuross.com/

Sadly, almost ignored - but name-checked by Peggy, right at the end.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »

Reg Meuross http://www.regmeuross.com/

Sadly, almost ignored - but name-checked by Peggy, right at the end.

I thought I recognised him...I've seen him with Hank Wangford...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »

Just got in...a sublime evening of music !!! Eliza Carthy was as entertaining as ever, Kate Rusby (with strings) very polished, Seth Lakeman moved the earth, and Fairport provided a rousing finale. Reg Meuross also played a couple of songs (heard of but never heard him before, would like to hear him again). The evening was expertly compered by Mike Harding, with FC introduced by Simon Mayo (he told the yarn of how FC got the gig in the first place). Highlights of FC's set included Summer in December, Lord Marlborough, WKWTTG featuring Kellie While, a rocking Dirty Linen attached to Matty Groves, and MOTL featuring Kellie and Seth. All in all, a great evening - apart from the excellent music it certainly increased my awareness of what the Teenage Cancer Trust is all about. By the way, The Albert Hall is still a very special place to watch live music, must go there again soon - FC's 45th Anniversary Tour in 2012 ?

Well said Dan O.  Sublime indeed.   The RAH certainly is a wonderful venue, we actually ventured up into the 'heights' during one of the changeover intervals,  just to have a walk around the top.  I've always wanted to see the view from up there, and on previous occassions  there has never been enough time, but with several acts performing, the intervals were opportune.  Amazing sight!....but acoustically  a bit 'blurry'  from certain areas.  Unfortunately we then we got collared by a member of the house security, and as we weren't equipped with the correct apparel (a wristband evidently) we were asked, very politely, to go back downstairs.  Fairport produced a very well balanced set, for so few songs, excellent none the less.........short but sweet, I guess you could say.
Thanks for the pics Martin, a small insight into the backstage world that we don't usually get to see.  Also met up with Angela and the boys......so all in all, a very pleasant evening of music and song.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

how full was the RAH?

The Dude abides
JohnT

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »

how full was the RAH?

Ah; good question!

Arena: 95% full
Stalls: 80-90% full
Loggia Boxes: 75%
Main Boxes: 25-30% if that
Circle: ?? 50 to 100 people total?? Maybe more?
Choir: 0 - of course

Quite ready for other's views...

Any pictures?

John

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:55:41 AM by JohnT » Logged
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »

how full was the RAH?

At a guess......a little over three quarters full, most of the good seats were taken, the larger gaps were up on the higher tiers.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »

There was approximately 1800 in attendance. In a perfect world there would have been more but considering the short notice, I think everyone was delighted with the turn out.
Hopefully a folk night can become a permanent fixture of the TCT annual series of concerts. If it does, I'm sure folkies throughout the land would happily support this most worth while cause.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »

There was approximately 1800 in attendance. In a perfect world there would have been more but considering the short notice, everyone was absolutely delighted with the turn out.
Hopefully a folk night can become a permanent fixture of the TCT annual series of concerts. If it does, I'm sure folkies throughout the land would happily support this most worth while cause.

Oh dear - The RAH is an 5,544 seater (according to wiki, at least)?  Anyway, at least it FELT fuller than it was from what others have written....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »

The balcony was sparcely populated David but as you said it was fairly full in the lower levels, which made for a great atmosphere I thought, very enjoyable.
JohnT

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »

There was approximately 1800 in attendance. In a perfect world there would have been more but considering the short notice, everyone was absolutely delighted with the turn out.

Oh dear - The RAH is an 5,544 seater (according to wiki, at least)?  Anyway, at least it FELT fuller than it was from what others have written....

I think that's probably maximum capacity - with the 'usual' being 3900. Still only about 50% - but I imagine considerably better than any of the individual acts could have managed on their own.

That said; I seem to recall the last Waterson Carthy gig was pretty well attended.

It would be interesting to know the Fairport/Rusby/Lakeman/Carthy/Meuross fan split. How many were there really for only one set? How many didn't go, because of the other acts?

John
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

I wouldn't have gone if i'd realised Fairport would do such a short set but i'm pleased i did as i got to see the marvellous Kate Rusby.Seth Lakeman seemed to be the most popular act of the evening.
Snodin

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »

I would be hard, and pretty pointless, to pick out the best of the evening. It was the quality and variety that impressed.

Fairports were, as others have said, on great form - Chris Leslie's vocals in particular, and Ric's fiddle playing. Gerry's drumming was wonderful as always, picked out nicely on the big screen. Kellie While did an excellent walk-on rendition of "Who Knows.." - a highlight for me.

Seth was... well, he was Seth - full-on, enjoying himself, noisy and leaving the kind of imprint that could well draw significant numbers of younger people to the folk scene, if the show gets decent broadcast on TV. Good on yer, Seth, we need it.

Kate was delightful, sang beautifully and joked engagingly (Rough quote: I spotted the 'Hard Hats From This Point' notice as I approached the stage and chose to ignore it - "it's the rebel in me" - and I see you're not wearing them either so I reckon I'm OK.").  Her 10 piece string section was nicely back in the sound mix so there was no risk of her vocals being drowned. A lovely set.

Reg Meuross only had time for a couple of numbers but impressed many people, I think (my wife, in particular!).

And Eliza Carthy's set was tremendous - her first performance since the birth of Flo. She opened the show, and it was a good choice - Mr Magnifico live is rousing stuff. She also premiered a song, Mohair, she wrote after the death of her aunt, Lal Waterson, a decade ago. Just beautiful - as was much of her highly entertaining and musically challenging set. She's a fantastic amabassador for the way that folk music can be relevant for some exciting and contemporary music.

I'll post a few photos later, once taken off the camera.

Martin
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »

Could somebody please post the other songs performed by Eliza Carthy and all of Seth Lakeman's ? Thankyou.
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »

Reg Meuross only had time for a couple of numbers but impressed many people, I think (my wife, in particular!).

I can believe that. My wife was very taken with him at Trowbridge Festival.

Actualy I like him too. He's very talented singer songwriter. And when he's with Hank they are hilarious.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

I didn't know much of Eliza's set but she did Mr Magnifico and Britain is a car park - new song in style of 3 Daft monkeys!

Kate:
Drowned Lovers
Who will sing me lullabies
Let me be
Stretched upon your grave
Sir Eglamore
Underneath the Stars

Seth:
Hurlers
King & Country
Solomon Browne
Poor Man's Heaven
Kitty Jay
Born to be King (? Handwriting very iffy)

Fairport:
Ye mariners All
Festival Bell
Summer in December
Reynardine
Lord Marlborough
WKWTTG (with Kelly While)
Matty & Medley
MotL (with Kelly & Seth)

Great evening all round.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »

Thanks Tim
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

I'll try and remember Eliza's set. Not necessarily in that order.

Little Big Man
Two Tears
Hug You Like a Mountain
Mohair
Mr Magnifico
britain is a car park

I can't remember any more, is that about half an hour's worth?

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Snodin

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »

Some photos as promised.

[attachment deleted by admin]
sgdownes
n3wb

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

A review of the Albert Hall gig appeared in todays evening standard....here it is here

It was proof of the power of radio. A desperate Roger Daltrey, spokesperson for the Teenage Cancer Trust, announced on Radio 5 Live that the mid-week slot of the charity gig‑fest was empty. So sandwiched between Antony and the Johnsons and Stereophonics the Albert Hall would be dark.

DJ Simon Mayo challenged his listeners to come up with a band who might be free. And faster than you could say real ale, Fairport Convention were contenders. The archetypal folk-rock band headlined the show, which was a night of folk with strong supporting musicians, all of whom played for free.

Eliza Carthy, taking the stage after feeding her baby in her first gig as a mother, played a fabulous comeback set fizzing with energy and high spirits. With a husky black velvet voice she cast a vocal spell and mixed it with her fiddle and cranky Tom Waits-style band. Her last song, a witty satire on car-crazy Britain, had the energy of an encore.

Kate Rusby reworked some songs from her first album Hourglass with sweet effect, backed by a 10-piece string ensemble. And Seth Lakeman delivered his punchy tight acoustic rocking folk with usual verve.

Fairport themselves revelled in being in the Albert Hall and two glories of their past, Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson, were celebrated in a stirring rendition of Who Knows Where the Time Goes? with guest vocalist Kellie While and a fine encore of the Thompson-penned Meet on the Ledge, Lakeman joining them in a liberated chorus of song. It was emotional, free and committed folk.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: