TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 33 1/3 book series  (Read 5034 times)
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« on: February 20, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »

Pleased to see that both Liege & Lief and Sandy have made it onto the “shortlist” of titles for the next series of 33 1/3 (which, in case you don’t know it, is a neat series of books about individual albums, published by Continuum in New York). Unfortunately, so have 168 others!

Anyone know who’s submitting the L&L proposal? I put my hands up as the potential author of Sandy.

The full list is viewable here: http://33third.blogspot.com/2009/02/shortlist.html. Feel free to pitch in for either in the Comments section of their blog; it might just sway the editors’ verdict in our favour!

Philip

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »

Fantastic news!

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »

I suggested that L&L was ripe for the 33 1/3 treatment on this forum a few months ago.  Folks said I shoul do it but I knew my knowledge wasn't up to scratch for the gig.  Glad someone's doing it.  I really want to do one some day.  The Shoot Out The Lights one was good.  Hell, they're mostly all good!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »

Congrats to Pemward! and best of luck to you.....scrolling down through the comments list it was good to see a few thumbs up for the L&L book ( in between all the whining--"they turned me down but ****made the short list, WTF??)  

TAW introduced me to this series of books...haven't read any yet but have a few on order at our local library. Am looking forward to their arrival.
Philip W

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »

Congrats to Pemward! and best of luck to you.....scrolling down through the comments list it was good to see a few thumbs up for the L&L book ( in between all the whining--"they turned me down but ****made the short list, WTF??)  

Thanks, Kathryn. I'm not holding my breath. Last time they received 450 proposals and ended up offering contracts to about 20 of them. This time they've received 600 proposals (including two on L&L, only one of which made it onto the shortlist)... You do the math.

Still, I like this "open audition" way of doing things. Most publishers would just choose the twenty best-selling albums and commission hardened rock journos to write about them.

Philip

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »

This is all very interesting, Pemward, as I intend to do one of these books myself.  I had no idea that this was how it operated!

Jules

Philip W

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »

Well, what a surprise. Neither L&L nor Sandy made it onto the final shortlist of 27 titles: http://33third.blogspot.com/
Still, I hear someone's planning to publish an anthology of the rejected proposals, so I might give that a go.
 Sad

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

Sorry to hear that.   Sad  Don't give up!

Jules

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: