TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:16:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bellowhead the new Fairport?  (Read 40190 times)
Baz1L
flop like a fish

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »

Watched Bellowhead at Southwell this year and throughly enjoyed it. Of more interest however was the audience in that a)There was a lot of them b) There was a broad age range c) They stayed in the marquee and there was abuzz in the air. For these reasons alone they NEED to exist for the future of the festival scene. As for them being the next FC? BH success at festival venues is because they are like the desert in a large meal, sinful and more-ish whereas perhaps FC can provide the whole meal, soup to cigars! Furthermore time will tell if such as large group can stay the field and stay together, musicians being what they are. In the meantime however all power to them.  Grin
pflood
transcending the drummers art
n3wb

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »

....novelty percussion....

It really irks me when people call what I do a novelty. Can't you see that this is deeply serious and highly skillful work requiring years of training? Now, if you know how to make an effective SPLAAANNGGG! without holding up a really heavy cast iron pan, or how to get a good CRRRAWWK! out of anything but a cutlery holder filled with forks and knives, please do tell us - we're dying to know Wink

Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »

And every single tink and clang is precisely planned isn't it Pete?  Wink

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

Welcome pflood.

How many pans did you have to try before you got the exact SPLAAANNGGG you were looking for?

And just as important, used or brand new? Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »

This is all very confusing.

No wonder I couldn't find Matachoo-choo, their new long playing gramphone record, at my local emporia.

I should have looked under the Fs.   Or maybe the Ns (New Fairport, New Seekers, New Order).

Dem and blast.  Lips Sealed

Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

....novelty percussion....

It really irks me when people call what I do a novelty. Can't you see that this is deeply serious and highly skillful work requiring years of training? Now, if you know how to make an effective SPLAAANNGGG! without holding up a really heavy cast iron pan, or how to get a good CRRRAWWK! out of anything but a cutlery holder filled with forks and knives, please do tell us - we're dying to know Wink

Welcome pflood - probably the country's hardest working and most innovative percussionist!  Wink Grin

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »

Isn't pflood the Welsh word for a sudden torrent of water? Tongue
Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

Surely that would be fflood?

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
siffer

Loc: Camborne Cornwall

Also answers to David

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »

fflydd I think!
Cakey

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »

I have just found this thread - soz! Fairport, love them. CD's in the car, study, lounge, toilet, utility room, bedroom etc, etc. Old favourites that can fit into any mood and they have their place in life. Groundbreaking in their time and continue to be master craftsmen.

Bellowhead are a different band with a different type of vibrancy. There is something about a Bellowhead performance that stirs the loins and makes you want to throw caution to the wind, run wild and eat pork scratchings and drink fizzy cider. I much prefer still cider as it hits the spot, just like Fairport. However, there is always room for something new to tempt the palate.

Signed - poorly,  having had far too much fizzy and still cider last night together with pork scratchings and scampi fries. Does anyone know what the gall bladder does because I don't think mine is doing what it should?

There are no eels in my wigwam
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »

Odd analogy Cackey!!

Bellowhead certainly stirs the loins, but even t'heads will never make me eat a Porky Scratching!!  Shocked

I'm seeing them later, I'll let you know later if I have any fizzy cider cravings  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »

no.. they will not be the new fairport...

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 09:30:33 AM »

no.. they will not be the new fairport...

yeah with ya there Sam......maybe its just cause that Bellowhead are right for right now and are bringing folk more out into the open because of its fusion factor and getting a new crowd following and young people are into um....no different to some of you back in the sixties when you discovered Fairport when you were discovering new music surely

just the way of the times and admit i'm more of a bellowheader than a fairporter...end of the day they're both champions of folk,which can't and never will be a bad thing  Smiley

keep your mind open!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

end of the day they're both champions of folk,which can't and never will be a bad thing  Smiley

Well said......... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »

Just a small interjection: Bellowhead aren't traditional "folk". Having said that, neither are Fairport.

I consider this a good thing.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »

I can't wait to see Bellowhead live...  Haven't managed it yet, hopefully sometime over the summer.  I've been rather underwhelmed by their albums but I reckon they'd have potential live.

A bit like Fairport in that respect really - several songs that I didn't really like from the album have become firm favourites after I've heard them live.  Whether it's the introduction or just the live atmosphere I don't know, but it definitely makes a song come to life.

And I reckon seeing Bellowhead live could do the same for them.  I'll let you know... Wink

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »

Seeing them live is an experience not to be missed!

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »

Anna, Bellowhead are playing the Queen Elizabeth Hall at Southbank Centre next Saturday evening, billed as a Dirty Weekend with Bellowhead, tickets priced £15 + booking fee.
I just had a quick check of the Southbank website, it would appear there are just 14 tkts left, so if you fancy it you'll need to move swiftly.
http://http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/music/productions/a-dirty-weekend-with-bellowhea-44044
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »

Sad  Shame, I'm already busy next Saturday, got a friend's 40th.  On Valentine's mind you.  If it wasn't that he's coming over from the States specifically to celebrate with his Limey chums I'd have at least 2 better things to do!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21:39 PM »

What about Cambridge the next day?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: