TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bellowhead the new Fairport?  (Read 40196 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »

We'll convert you NickReg. One day, we'll convert you.  Grin

And then you'll be as mad as the rest of us!  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »

I can't really see the comparison. I'm not particularly a fan but when I saw them live, based not so much on the music but on their ambition and what I think they are trying to achieve by fusing unlikely elements together, I thought it was sort of comparable to The Albion Band more than Fairport.
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »

Thanks Nick

I'll just have to keep eyes peeled as I am in the Tyne version of Newcastle. The Sage apart, I never think Newcastle is particularly folky; the Carling's bill from now till Xmas seems to be made up of tribute bands!

SIAR

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »

I would argue that Bellowhead have the potential to appeal to a much broader audience than Fairport, FB.
Nick

Teenage girls squeal when JB walks on in a manner not quite as vulgar as by Beatles enthusiasts, but they squeal just the same Smiley
LadyD (Sarah)
my blouse has been dispatched

Loc: UK, Essex

FanGirl - Born in the wrong century

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »

Teenage girls squeal when JB walks on in a manner not quite as vulgar as by Beatles enthusiasts, but they squeal just the same Smiley

Roll Eyes and some not so teenage.  Wink

Help! I'm being repressed!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »

I know where you're coming from LadyD....... Roll Eyes Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
LadyD (Sarah)

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »

Smiley http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=11346423419

My mum (who isn't a folk music sort of person) said after the gig I took her to "Who's the tall handsome one? Can I get a signed photo?"

Adam W
Hello, where's Gromit?

Loc: Bognor Regis

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »

blame the likes of simon cowel and his minions for that

I agree, people like him are polluting the music scene with talentless clones.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »

My mum (who isn't a folk music sort of person) said after the gig I took her to "Who's the tall handsome one? Can I get a signed photo?"

He does have a certain presence, doesn't he? Ladies of a certain age, eh?  Grin

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »

They all seem to have an effect on somebody!

To just address the cost of booking Bellowhead. In my experience they charge a fair fee that is on a par with equivalent acts (in standing, not in number of members).

Yes, for a small venue they would be expensive, but so would other acts that draw the same sort of audience.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

I have a friend who is trying to hire them for a fund-raising event and has been quoted something in the region of a few thousand. I don't know if that's just for them to play and if there would be other charges on top (eg accommodation, transport) but I rather get the impression with the t'heads that they're not there for the money.

I can't wait to see them again in January. Not long!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:45:16 AM by Bridgwit » Logged

LadyD (Sarah)

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »

He does have a certain presence, doesn't he? Ladies of a certain age, eh?  Grin

When she said it I didn't know whether to be pleased because she might take me to more gigs or disturbed as she's old enough to be his mum.  Shocked

*thinks in head* if I saved a pound a day it would take me a very long time to afford for my own personal concert...don't think they'd fit in my house let alone my front room  Wink
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:48:19 AM by LadyD » Logged

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »

could i just stick my neck out and say i think it is wrong on every level for specific fees to be mentioned relating to any band, whether 'famous' or not, and i personally think that post should be removed.

abby

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »

could i just stick my neck out and say i think it is wrong on every level for specific fees to be mentioned relating to any band, whether 'famous' or not, and i personally think that post should be removed.

abby

I don't see what possible harm it could do as it's easy enough to find these things out, but to save problems/offence I've altered my post. If anyone wants to delete it please go ahead. I'm used to it!

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 10:03:23 AM »

cheers bridg x

it'll be fine.......
Dave R

Loc: Worthing, Sussex

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »

Here’s my twopenneth, for what its worth….

While all the musicians in Bellowhead are undoubtably good in their own right, and in their own bands, I find the sum less than the parts. For me, it sounds like a session, maybe the Goose and Firkin, in the Borough, twenty years ago. Good, but twenty years old!

Nick makes some points worth reviewing here..

The difference is that Brass Monkey's concept stopped there - folk music played with brass instruments. Bellowhead went on to add percussion, bagpipes, woodwind and a string section that is even bigger than the brass section. Then they took their sound off in a jazz/world/music hall direction which currently sits many miles away from their folk-based inception. I doubt you could ever confuse the sound made by Bellowhead with the sound made by Brass Monkey...

Percussion.. I remember Martin Brinsford playing frame drum and tambourine

Bagpipes… Giles playing on the CD Burlesque adds nothing groundbreaking to the CD. Only opening two numbers, it is lost (intentionally?) in the mix thereafter. It sounds like an instrument he plays, rather than one he can play. They make no use of the bagpipes modal qualities, or its unique playing and gracing style.

Brass Monkey’s music seems to have been as much about what was not there, spaces, as what was. Isn’t JK’s playing Jazzy? Doesn’t MC’s vocal style pull you, stretch you, goad you, lift you up, and throw you down?  Isn’t “Fable of Wings” still modern, and haunting?   Isn’t “Watermans Dance” still electrifying?

Bellowhead’s music seems very full on, using all their toys at once. I feel this has been done better before, by the Committee Band, Albion band, Moving Hearts, and others. Everybody ends up playing on every track/ dance. No dynamic, just volume, sorry.

The use of novelty percussion would be OK every now and then, but I feel that there is just too much of it. This, added to over complex arrangements, hides the quality that must be in the band.

I don’t like dissembling bands. I do try to find good in all music, but this, for me, is just "folk" music with knobs on. Where are the haunting spaces, the sense of the lost, or joy of the found?

Are they the new FC? No.
The new Steeleye Span?  No.
The Emperors new clothes……?

Dave

I fell in a heap on the ground: i don't know who left it there.....
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »

Nick makes some points worth reviewing here..

My comments were purely to attempt to answer the question from Mr Cat:

Can someone explain how Bellowhead are radically different from say Brass Monkey?

I looked for points that indicated why Bellowhead were different from Brass Monkey. I deliberately did not make any attempt to present one band as being better or worse than the other because that's down to personal opinion and everyone here already has their own one of those. Instead I just looked for points that addressed the question Mr Cat posed.

I take the point about Martin Brinsford playing percussion in Brass Monkey - I didn't mention that because I didn't recall percussion the last couple of times I saw them (OFF 2008 and Cropredy many moons ago). The other points I made still stand however: Bellowhead have a far greater array of instruments in their arsenal and a far greater spread of musical styles in their repertoire. You cannot confuse the sounds of the two bands.

If I were to comment about what I feel is "groundbreaking" about Bellowhead, I would put it in terms of the impression they have made on the folk music community and on the public-at-large. As I said above, everyone here has an opinion about Bellowhead and I think that is great. Whether they like the band or not is not important to me. What is important to me and what I really think is great is that people are talking about them! And I believe it is on the back of their presence that people are talking about folk music in more favourable and less derogatory terms than has been seen in literally decades. And that talk is not confined to here on Talkawhile or other folk-specific places. Bellowhead are quite clearly at the forefront of a resurgence in popularity of folk music across the country. They play to big crowds at folk festivals; that's one thing that indicates their own success within their own genre. However it's something else that they are now packing out venues more associated with indie, pop and rock music and it's something else again that they're getting noticed by music communities that are far removed from their origins. Why were they chosen as the artists in residence for the SouthBank Centre? Why were they chosen to front the first Folk Night at the Proms in the Albert Hall? and why did the BBC choose to televise that concert ahead of many other Proms concerts this summer? I don't know how or why either of those things came about but clearly they are making an impression!

Folk music is cool right now and I put that down largely to Bellowhead. It's not entirely down to them - Eliza's been cool for a long time, Seth is clearly pushing rock-star status, Imagined Village have turned a lot of heads and there are others I could mention - but I would not deny the fact that Bellowhead have had a huge impact and they will go on to have a bigger impact in the time to come.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Dave R

Loc: Worthing, Sussex

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

Nick,

all you say above is true. I also feel that they are doing a great job, and helping to make folk music more popular than ever.

Mine is  personal view, i just don't get it! Sad Maybe i'm just old and jaded!

However, the fact that so many others do, and are flocking, and bringing mates along is great for all of us in the Folkasphere.

All the best,

Dave

I fell in a heap on the ground: i don't know who left it there.....
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »

Bellowhead and Brass Monkey are two vastly different things.  Not sure why, but although I've given BM 2 shots live to impress me and have listened to at least one of their CDs, it just bores me.  It is folk with brass, whereas BH feel a more cohesive unit.

In terms of money, one promoter who I know says that to have BH would mean a doubling of their usual ticket prices. Also, a lot of bands/acts within the folk world work on a percentage basis rather than a fixed fee, so that even if there is a bad showing, the promoter never actually makes a loss; obviously that isn't guaranteed on a fixed fee basis.

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

Are Bellowhead playing anywhere near Newcastle soonish? Just wondered.

SIAR    

If you mean 'upon Tyne', they played the Academy there last April. If you mean 'under Lyme' then they've just finished touring around Buxton, Derby, Manchester, etc and are playing Birmingham on 16th December. Nothing else listed as upcoming in those areas though. You'll have to head for Wales where they're doing a tour in January.

Cheers

Nick

And what do you know - one of them's playing our local at the end of the month with her new band.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: