TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:10:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bellowhead the new Fairport?  (Read 40193 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »

erm, no.
brilliant, but no.

it'll be fine.......
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »

Fairport did more than that; they brought traditional music to a wider audience, namely rock fans. Have Bellowhead really done that? I'm not sure they have.

If you read some of the new members comments on the S&B Forum and how they got there, you'll find they are doing just that.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »

Having heard all the BH recorded output, I'm afraid I just didn't "get it" - possibly a little too theatrical for me.  But when I saw the admittedly abbreviated Albert Hall Folk Prom performance, it started to make sense. Still not too keen on the Brecht/Weill/cabaret influences, though I do like the jazz influences.

Personally, and from a purely folk perspective, the best big band to date has been the Amazing Catsfield Steamers.

Flobbadob!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

Surely the article just sets Fairport as a reference point - just about every folky band which has looked like gaining some sort of popularity has probably been referred to as the new Fairport.

Bellowhead draw on a broader range of traditions than Fairport and in many ways push the envelope even more than FC did when they unleashed Liege and Lief - but from the journalists point of view Fairport are the obvious yardstick.

David W
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »

Can someone explain how Bellowhead are radically different from say Brass Monkey?

I was chatting with John Kirkpatrick a little while ago. I asked him what he thought about his son being in a Brass Monkey Tribute Band..!  Grin

There are similarities between the conception of Bellowhead and the conception of Brass Monkey - they were both formed by pairs of musicians known for their use of vocals, strings and squeezeboxs. Both pairs were staunch interpreters of the English Folk Tradition and both realised that folk could sound good with brass involved, though none were brass players themselves.

The difference is that Brass Monkey's concept stopped there - folk music played with brass instruments. Bellowhead went on to add percussion, bagpipes, woodwind and a string section that is even bigger than the brass section. Then they took their sound off in a jazz/world/music hall direction which currently sits many miles away from their folk-based inception. I doubt you could ever confuse the sound made by Bellowhead with the sound made by Brass Monkey...

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »

I think this is an interesting question. Yes, like Fairport, they have crafted folk music into form, but Fairport did more than that; they brought traditional music to a wider audience, namely rock fans. Have Bellowhead really done that? I'm not sure they have. Whereas Seth Lakeman has brought it into the charts! is Seth Lakeman the new Fairport? Also, at that time Fairport were the only ones rockin up folk, but Bellowhead are not the only one's who are modernising folk, there are a whole host of others, so it's not really fair to single out one band.

Well, yes, up to a point. In the early 70s (the period cited by the review) Fairport were by no means the only band rocking up folk. They may have been the first (although there's an argument for Pentangle having got there first), but Steeleye, Horslips, Dando Shaft, Trees, Gryphon, ISB, Alan Stivell, etc etc. were all around. East of Eden's Jig-a Jig got into the singles chart, and Angel Delight was a chart album. At the time it felt like a whole lot more than just Fairport.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »

No of course Bellowhead are not the new Fairport  Roll Eyes  BUT there are similarities in that both are/were groundbreaking and responsible for introducing a new audience to traditional music.

The article says  "On this form, Bellowhead may be able to finish the job started by such illustrious forebears" not that they've taken over from FC.

They'll never finish it tho - there will be another band in a few years time doing something different and new (folk/rap fusion anyone?) that will take everyone by storm. Such is the nature of the beast.

For what it's worth the Bellowhead gig on Sunday was the best I've seen them and one of the best gigs I've ever seen. They really were spectacular.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Snodin

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »

The costs of gigging could also be an issue for a band of this size.  They're a great band to see live but less appealing on record, to my personal taste.  That could be a limiting factor in their long-term appeal and success, I think. They're not the new FC for sure - I agree with the earlier posting that just as FC were once part of a bigger 'folk-rock' scene, so are Bellowhead today.  Also, FC's longevity is in part because they're cheap to run and have been willing to keep it that way for all this time. Bellowhead are young (hence cheap) but for how long? Hard to say.

Martin
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 05:43:04 AM »

It seems to me that Fairport were a rock band that played folk music even though Swarb had been involved in folk the whole idea was to turn it up and rock out.

Bellowhead are well an insane vaudeville/folk/jazz/deranged circus event and sometimes they hurt my ears. My suspicion is you have to see it and I doubt that I ever will but I would if they came over here.

In short no, Bellowhead are not the new Fairport but I'm not entirely sure what they are, maybe the new Doors as they seem to be a great lounge act at times.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »

The costs of gigging could also be an issue for a band of this size.  They're a great band to see live but less appealing on record, to my personal taste.  That could be a limiting factor in their long-term appeal and success, I think. They're not the new FC for sure - I agree with the earlier posting that just as FC were once part of a bigger 'folk-rock' scene, so are Bellowhead today.  Also, FC's longevity is in part because they're cheap to run and have been willing to keep it that way for all this time. Bellowhead are young (hence cheap) but for how long? Hard to say.

Martin

my thoights exactly, unless they are going to dharge stadium prices for gigs they arnt going to get rich with a band that size
but fair play to them for giving it a go

The Dude abides
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »

no way are bellowhead the new fairport, they are OK live but their music does not appeal to such a large audience.
There will never be a "new fairport" because they would not survive in todays music industry. no promoter or agent would take a chance on anyone that different like they did in the 60's/70's.

blame the likes of simon cowel and his minions for that
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »

Bellowhead are young (hence cheap)

Martin

how cheap do you think cheap is, martin, cos i have been told and i do not think they are cheap at all!!

it'll be fine.......
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »

Agreed - I've been told too and while understable for 22 legs, it's defionitely not 'cheap'

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »

I would argue that Bellowhead have the potential to appeal to a much broader audience than Fairport, FB. Their musical remit is broader and more importantly there a many more outlets for music now than in previous years - more opportunity for people to hear them.

The question of longievity is an interesting one. I don't think they will last as they are as long as Fairport ... But then Fairport seldom lasted more than 1 album with the same line-up. Bellowhead actually have more opportunity to change their line-up than Fairport have. Most members of Bellowhead have had stand-ins at some time and I'll bet few have noticed when this has happened (I think Jon B and Benji K are the only 2 of the 11 who've played every gig.) They can in theory become what Simon has often touted for Fairport; an institution whose actual members matter less than the idea of the group as a whole.

On the money front, it's long been shown that (Billy Connolly excepted) Banjo players don't drive Porsches. Each member of Bellowhead plays in at least one other band and most if not all are involved in other areas such as session work, teaching, etc. Bellowhead might be seen as a sideline...

And Neill, I believe they may be on their way over to North America next summer...

Cheers

Nick

Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »

And Neill, I believe they may be on their way over to North America next summer...

Well as long as they keep their options open for the UK in the middle of August ...  Undecided

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »

C'mon, journos always refer to things as "the new..." - Private Eye run a column called "The Neophiliacs" picking up on this.

Not that I'm really knocking the reviewer for it. They only get a column inch or so to summarise a whole evening's music, to people who've never heard of the band in question. It's not surprising, therefore, that they reach for easy comparisons. Anyway, it's fun. When we were kids the Inarazzes used to play a game called "People who look like people". When you spotted a person walking around who looked like someone off the telly, you'd point it out, and if the other two agreed, you'd get a point. Obviously the lack of an impartial referee meant that nobody ever won, but it passed the time while waiting for mum. But I digress.

Are Bellowhead playing anywhere near Newcastle soonish? Just wondered.

SIAR    
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »

SIAR    

If you mean 'upon Tyne', they played the Academy there last April. If you mean 'under Lyme' then they've just finished touring around Buxton, Derby, Manchester, etc and are playing Birmingham on 16th December. Nothing else listed as upcoming in those areas though. You'll have to head for Wales where they're doing a tour in January.

Cheers

Nick

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »

Bellowhead are young (hence cheap)

Martin

how cheap do you think cheap is, martin, cos i have been told and i do not think they are cheap at all!!

And just how young is young? They're probably about ten years older than Fairport were in 1970.

I can't imagine any 11-piece band being cheap.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

SIAR    

If you mean 'under Lyme' then they've just finished touring around Buxton, Derby, Manchester, etc and are playing Birmingham on 16th December.
Nick

Phew that was close!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »

No need to worry Nick, they've gone past. You can come out of your soundproof booth and resume your normal listening habits.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: