TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:22:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bellowhead the new Fairport?  (Read 40197 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: November 04, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »

Hmm, yes I'd find that a strange suggestion....

But Pete Paphides in today's Times suggests exactly that in his review of BellowHead's recent Bristol gig.

His last paragraph says....

Over a final half hour dominated by jigs and reels, they played with a folk-rock fervour that recalled that fleeting period in the early Seventies when Fairport Convention seemed to conjure new commercial possibilities for English roots music. On this form, Bellowhead may be able to finish the job started by such illustrious forebears

Can't see it myself, but others may feel differently. Can Bellowhead be described as 'folk-rock'?

Personally, they're both great bands in their own right, but the comparison is a very odd one.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »

I'm not sure that the reviewer was suggesting they are folk-rock, I think it's more that Bellowhead are taking the English roots music to somewhere else and new, much as Fairport did in their time.

That's how I read it anyway Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »

They might be. If they'd been formed in the 1960's.

As it is, they are just the noughties' first Brecht/Weill/Waits/Folk Cabaret turn.

It's all been done. Ask Ute Lempe or Richard Thompson.

Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »

They need a unicycling baby black bear juggling live stoats, that would get the punters in, and I bet it's never been done to double jig time before.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »

"finish the job started by such illustrious forebears"

surely the true nature of folk music is that it is continually evolving and to "finish the job" would basically kill it.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »

I suspect its just a case of 'find a vaguely folk related label that the great unwashed can relate to'.

If it causes a few people who only own Liege and Lief to go out and catch a Bellowhead gig, then I can live with it.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »

I suspect its just a case of 'find a vaguely folk related label that the great unwashed can relate to'.

If it causes a few people who only own Liege and Lief to go out and catch a Bellowhead gig, then I can live with it.

What do you mean "the great unwashed"? Some of my best friends are unwashed. In fact some "folk" audiences have a rep for being challenged in that direction. (See the great "f**king soapdodgers" controversy). It's a bit of an obnoxious term to use really. (My dog Spot was a bit whiffy when he re-appeared out of the alley tonight.)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »

They need a unicycling baby black bear juggling live stoats, that would get the punters in, and I bet it's never been done to double jig time before.

Please don't put ideas into their heads Rory. It was bad enough trying to find a strongman for them Shocked Shocked Shocked

And no, I don't think they are the new Fairport. They are just taking 'folk' music in a different direction, which was what I thought it meant as well, Jude.

To be quite honest I think they are getting, in sound, more like early Pentangle in some of their jazzier arrangements.

So far as the unwashed I can vouch for the fact that some of their audience need hosing down after a Bellowhead gig. You know who I am talking about;) Wink Wink

Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »

I've just read the article and I'm not really sure what the reviewer is getting at with that remark.  Perhaps trying to convince us he knows a bit about the folk scene?  I don't know his background I'm afraid so may be doing him a dis-service there.  I don't think of Bellowhead as folk-rock really - they're more like folk-jazz really when you consider the line-up.

We certainly don't want the "job" finished do we?

I need hosing down after BH gigs (especially last Friday's - oooh!)

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »

Please don't put ideas into their heads Rory. It was bad enough trying to find a strongman for them Shocked Shocked Shocked

You've been barking up the wrong tree - I look good in a faux leopard skin leotard - I'll shave me napper and grow the handlebar moustache to order, too.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:38:34 PM »

Can someone explain how Bellowhead are radically different from say Brass Monkey?

Thank Drunk I'm God
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »

Can someone explain how Bellowhead are radically different from say Brass Monkey?

Well, the live aspect to start with. They are amazing live; the energy the exhurt is much greater than that of Brass Monkey. Also, from what I have heard of them, which is very little I have to admit, BH are much more jazzy and much more funky than BM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »

I went to see Bellowhead on Saturday night in Northampton.
They were (in my opinion) utterley awesome.
They have taken folk music/song and crafted it into a form of high (enjoyable) art.
I they have the ability to engage the listener with an amazing soundscape. I was very sceptical about them when they started, but i am a total convert, and i believe they have the ability to do for folk music what fairport achieved all those years ago
simon
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »

I agree. I thought Fairport were awesome then (and still do!) and I think Bellowhead are awesome now.

OK awesome might be an overused word, but I was completely awestruck on Sunday.  Wink

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 01:25:59 AM »

I think this is an interesting question. Yes, like Fairport, they have crafted folk music into form, but Fairport did more than that; they brought traditional music to a wider audience, namely rock fans. Have Bellowhead really done that? I'm not sure they have. Whereas Seth Lakeman has brought it into the charts! is Seth Lakeman the new Fairport? Also, at that time Fairport were the only ones rockin up folk, but Bellowhead are not the only one's who are modernising folk, there are a whole host of others, so it's not really fair to single out one band.

Having said that, I love Bellowhead, they're one of my fav bands, and I don't really count Seth as folk  Cheesy

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:15:18 AM »

I think this is an interesting question. Yes, like Fairport, they have crafted folk music into form, but Fairport did more than that; they brought traditional music to a wider audience, namely rock fans. Have Bellowhead really done that? I'm not sure they have. Whereas Seth Lakeman has brought it into the charts! is Seth Lakeman the new Fairport? Also, at that time Fairport were the only ones rockin up folk, but Bellowhead are not the only one's who are modernising folk, there are a whole host of others, so it's not really fair to single out one band.

All good points...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »

Is it April 1st already? Only 4 months to Croppers then.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:18 AM »

The other point is a historical one.  The "early 70's"?  Hmmmm...weren't Fairport disintigrating rapidly in the early 70's?  To the point at which a couple of years in they (that's the two non-original members left with the name) were trying out an American singer and going all country-rock on us.... Not sure, even Fairport thought they were at the cutting edge of English folk-rock at that point...the mantle had moved rapidly on (or sideways) to Steeleye, the Albions et al....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »

weird question that one (well for me anyways)  for me simply Fairport sound like Fairport and Bellowhead sound like Bellowhead....i can't see it meself.

keep your mind open!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »

I went to see Bellowhead on Saturday night in Northampton.
They were (in my opinion) utterley awesome.
They have taken folk music/song and crafted it into a form of high (enjoyable) art.
I they have the ability to engage the listener with an amazing soundscape. I was very sceptical about them when they started, but i am a total convert, and i believe they have the ability to do for folk music what fairport achieved all those years ago
simon

They were bloody magic at Shrewsbury Festival, which was the last time I saw them.

I think the 'differentness' is something to do with John B's voice and method of song delivery - absolutely unique. If I wasn't so busy today, I'd go downstairs and put a CD on Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: