TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When can we expect a new CD from Fairport and what will be on it?  (Read 35836 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »

It's just a bit too jolly & singalong for me, I'm afraid.  It's not a bad song, just not to my musical taste.

I'd like to see a more folky/rootsy bias on the next album, regardless of how electric or otherwise the instrumentation might be.  Although FC have often said they do not see themselves as a folk band, IMHO they are among the best interpreters of trad/trad style songs & tunes.

Flobbadob!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »

Sense Of Occasion has only a few tracks on it that I like. But luckilly, I love those tracks. Chris' Keep On Turning The Wheel, South Dakota To Manchester and Edge Of The World are not the best songs from Chris but still great. With them goes Tam Lin, Polly On The Shore and Hawkward's Army, the rest of the tracks however do nothing for me.

Imponderable Joy
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »

I've said similar before....

• Get in Chris While for 1 album, she can write songs and has a fabulous voice - a female vocalist for 4 or 5 songs brings in a nice bit of light and shade
  • Ask Chris to write a song for Simon to sing - he's an excellent song writer, but because Chris sings them as well, they sound more like solo records then Fairport Convention
  • Don't re-record old classics
  • Get an independent producer
  • look to modern folk writers for materiel - SoH, Eliza C, Kate Rusby, and I think that some of Anthony John Clarkes songs would be improved by being 'fairported up'.
  • Don't overstay your welcome - 12 great songs are better then 16 OK ones.

Having said that, the day I take FC's advice on Data Centre architecture, is the day they should listen to me on what to do on their next album....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »

• Get in Chris While for 1 album, she can write songs and has a fabulous voice - a female vocalist for 4 or 5 songs brings in a nice bit of light and shade
  • Ask Chris to write a song for Simon to sing - he's an excellent song writer, but because Chris sings them as well, they sound more like solo records then Fairport Convention
  • look to modern folk writers for materiel - SoH, Eliza C, Kate Rusby, and I think that some of Anthony John Clarkes songs would be improved by being 'fairported up'.

Having said that, the day I take FC's advice on Data Centre architecture, is the day they should listen to me on what to do on their next album....

Grin Grin

But I completely agree with you on most of your points. I think the second one has actually happened before but I can't name the song off the top of my head. I would add one more. Plug in!
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »

Very well said.
IMHO that`s the right point of view.

Peter

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »

Hang on minute, Dave Pegg's on the phone with some ideas about a network-based back-up system. . . Wink
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »

Grin Grin

But I completely agree with you on most of your points. I think the second one has actually happened before but I can't name the song off the top of my head.

The Wood and the Wire. One of their best IMO.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Grin Grin

But I completely agree with you on most of your points. I think the second one has actually happened before but I can't name the song off the top of my head.

The Wood and the Wire. One of their best IMO.

More to the point is the excellent Lalla Rookh from ONBB - a Leslie / Allcock composition I think which really needs resurrecting.

David W
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »

Isn't Spanish Main also an Allcock/Leslie co-write? I'm at work at the moment so I can't check.

I've got to admit, I do like that one a lot.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »

Isn't Spanish Main also an Allcock/Leslie co-write? I'm at work at the moment so I can't check.

Yup

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2008, 08:38:56 AM »

Hang on minute, Dave Pegg's on the phone with some ideas about a network-based back-up system. . . Wink

Great - ask him his opinion on the viability of a SoA/Cloud based solution between widely geographically located Data Centres whilst he's on.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 03:01:12 PM »

My opinion for what it's worth is continue to take the approach they have, make an album they like and to hell with the rest, some will like some will not.

The output over the last decades has not always been to my liking, never been a fan of Maart's contribution particularly the keyboards, especially that Whale song, and find Chris's songs at times too sentimental but there is always enough on an album to keep me buying the next.

My only hope is no more reinterpreting the past on albums save it for the shows, not that I have much chance of seeing one.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »

never been a fan of Maart's contribution particularly the keyboards, especially that Whale song,

Yeah, some of those keyboards were pretty ill advised.  I'd like to see Maart back, but those keyboards should stay in the basement where they belong, next to the Taco cassettes.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

never been a fan of Maart's contribution particularly the keyboards, especially that Whale song,

Yeah, some of those keyboards were pretty ill advised.  I'd like to see Maart back, but those keyboards should stay in the basement where they belong, next to the Taco cassettes.

They've not dated well, have they.  But then I always thought they sounded dated, even at the time..  Having said that I do find myself being a little nostalgic for the old Maart led heavy version of Matty now and again....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pat Helms

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »

They've not dated well, have they.  But then I always thought they sounded dated, even at the time..  Having said that I do find myself being a little nostalgic for the old Maart led heavy version of Matty now and again....

Right on target, David!!  Although those heavily compressed distortion effects would put him squarely in the 80's as well - some cheezes age better than others!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »

I love The Wounded Whale. On of my all time favourite Fairport tracks and a live highlight of both the tours at the time and my first Cropredies in the early 90s
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »

i pretty much like anything maart touches...

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Pat Helms

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

Well, he patted me on the back once....so...............HI THERE!  Cheesy
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »

Smiley

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »

I love The Wounded Whale. On of my all time favourite Fairport tracks and a live highlight of both the tours at the time and my first Cropredies in the early 90s

I think with a band who's history is as lengthy and varied as Fairport's, where one leapt on board will always have a special part in what one loves about them.... To me, it's the "part-time" 4-piece....and I then worked backwards.  When the new band came along in '85 my ears were already rather more closed than they should have been.  It's not something I'm proud of, but it's the truth..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: