TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:40:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heylin's Sandy Denny biog - better take good care of your hardback copy  (Read 6615 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« on: October 23, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »

Just had a crafty look on Abebooks: the only two hardback copies of No More Sad Refrains listed are priced at around £50 (UK) and £939 (US)

Shocked Shocked  Shocked

See http:// http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=heylin&sortby=3&sts=t&tn=no+more+sad+refrains&x=33&y=14

Either Sandy is becoming extremely fashionable or some booksellers are extremely greedy. Maybe Madge has been in enquiring about post-divorce reading?  

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »

Tell me about it - been trying to pick one up at a reasonable price for months now....

Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

The copy that is fifty quid on that site is "Hardcover,ex-library," - ie probably nicked!

When I tried to borrow Ewan MacColl's out of print autobiography 'Journeyman' from our local library it, too, had been stolen, copies go for upwards of seventy five pounds. It takes a particularly low level of thief to steal from a library, they're stealing from all of us.

So please, don't buy 'ex library' books, if there is no market for them these gobshites won't steal them.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »

The copy that is fifty quid on that site is "Hardcover,ex-library," - ie probably nicked!

When I tried to borrow Ewan MaColl's autobiography 'Journeyman' from our local library it, too, had been stolen, copies go for upwards of seventy five pounds. It takes a particularly low level of thief to steal from a library, they're stealing from all of us.

So please, don't buy 'ex library' books, if there is no market for them these gobshites won't steal them.

It does depend on whether the books are officially discarded from the libraries, if they are then date stamp pages will be removed and it will have 'withdrawn' stamped on it. Those ones are fine to purchase..

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »

When I tried to borrow Ewan MaColl's autobiography 'Journeyman' from our local library it, too, had been stolen, copies go for upwards of seventy five pounds. It takes a particularly low level of thief to steal from a library, they're stealing from all of us.

It does depend on whether the books are officially discarded from the libraries, if they are then date stamp pages will be removed and it will have 'withdrawn' stamped on it. Those ones are fine to purchase..

Hmm.. not necessarily always that clear-cut, I'm afraid...  Smiley  At our place, we don't use a 'withdrawn' stamp at all... which doesn't really help, does it?!  (We do remove the date stamp pages though, but a tea-leaf could easily do that, too, couldn't they?!)  Having said that, we don't tend to withdraw very much at all, apart from previous editions of management textbooks, and stuff like that.  Perhaps we would have a withdrawn stamp if we ever chucked out anything good!

People who steal from libraries are indeed the lowest of the low.  We have to smirk at the idiots who think that simply removing the library's own barcode will get them through the security gate, though!

Anyway, back on topic (sorry!), I will hang onto my Heylin book as an investment for the future... along with my copy of 'The Complete Steeleye Span', insubstantial though it is (flimsy, printed on cheap paper, poor reproductions of photos... but still a gem!).

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »

Hmm.. I'd better look after my copy then  Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »

There is supposed to be a new edition in the pipeline. I was vaguely involved in this earlier in the year. Sadly, Sean Body, the editor at Helter Skelter who oversaw the first edition, has died and I don’t know what’s become of his special projects.

Incidentally, I recall Heylin was flogging copies of the first edition at the Troubadour in April, so they do still exist!

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »

Just had a crafty look on Abebooks: the only two hardback copies of No More Sad Refrains listed are priced at around £50 (UK) and £939 (US)

Shocked Shocked  Shocked

See http:// http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=heylin&sortby=3&sts=t&tn=no+more+sad+refrains&x=33&y=14

Either Sandy is becoming extremely fashionable or some booksellers are extremely greedy. Maybe Madge has been in enquiring about post-divorce reading?  

I'll willingly come around and read my copy out word for word in person for only £899....plus lodging.  You know it makes sense....

AS a ex bookseller who still dabbles, i'd say the going rate is around £30-50.  I'm also duty bound to point out the book is not the great Sandy biography we'd all like to read.  Maybe one day....  A copy was sold on eBay for 11 quid about 4 months ago.  I know 'cos I bought it....  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »

Shocked How much for a signed one?

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »

Shocked How much for a signed one?

As much as you can get for one... Smiley  He was signing them at the top of the field at Cropredy so there's a fair few around...wouldn't think it adds a vast amount to the price

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »

Perhaps I shouldn't have made that rematk about greedy booksellers as the ones I've dealt with have been excellent. But that American bloke asking £939 - HONESTLY!

I too saw first editions being sold by Mr. H at the Troubadour - only for about £20 I think so he was playing fair.

And now I'm going to look at Bargain Hunt.....

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: