TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:13:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny Live at the BBC - now expanded!  (Read 46816 times)
jonny k
n3wb

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »

It is even cheaper at http://www.powerplaydirect.com/asp/itemdetails.asp?prodID=1452416&currsec=CD I always visit http://http:/www.find-cd.co.uk to get the best prices...not quite as much fun as going to your local record store, if you're lucky enough to still have one.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »

Ah, but that is listed as the 2-CD version, and the RRP is £15.99, according to them.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jonny k
n3wb

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2007, 08:03:40 PM »

thanks for pointing that out - I would have been a bit disappointed! Looks like I'll be taking my cash to amazon.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:38 AM »

Ah, but that is listed as the 2-CD version, and the RRP is £15.99, according to them.

Ollie, there IS no "2-CD version".  Just to clarify for everyone, the BBC box is a 3cd 1 DVD set: that will not change! the 2disc listing is outdated because that was the original format of the product, before it was revised. It will never be a two cd set and the box is not a limited edition! Anyone buying it online will get 3cds and 1 DVD even if it is still wrongly listed as 1cd and 1 dvd!

This info comes from the proverbial "horse's mouth".

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »

This info comes from the proverbial "horse's mouth".

Mr Ed is still alive?!?!?!

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2007, 08:42:51 AM »

So complain to Amazon.

I did. I just had an apologetic reply saying that they are refunding me £20.01, reflecting "the difference between the price you were charged and the current discounted price". So it's a genuine bargain-basement offer. What are you all waiting for?!

Thanks for the tip-off.  Since I only received my (higher-priced) copy from Amazon yesterday, I have now asked them for a refund, too!  Fingers crossed.

Enjoying what I've heard of it so far...

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2007, 06:06:02 PM »

Phew!  Amazon have now agreed to give me £20.01 too... it is a BIG difference in price, isn't it!

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

pay your money and stop moaning you bunch of skinflints.the improved quality DVD is worth £50 on it's own.............................
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »

pay your money and stop moaning you bunch of skinflints.the improved quality DVD is worth £50 on it's own.............................

Charming!  Huh

I for one never said the original price was too expensive (a skinflint wouldn't have paid that much in the first place, would they?) - in fact the reduced price seems puzzlingly low to me... however, you can't blame people for feeling a mite cheated by Amazon, if they've just paid the higher price.

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »

Charming!  Huh

I for one never said the original price was too expensive (a skinflint wouldn't have paid that much in the first place, would they?) - in fact the reduced price seems puzzlingly low to me... however, you can't blame people for feeling a mite cheated by Amazon, if they've just paid the higher price.

apologies,that wasn't aimed at you specifically.on this site and even the Sandy Denny site all anyone mentions is how cheap they can get it for.

it's 3 CDs and a DVD in a boxset,if you "stole" it for 10 or 11 quid you should be ashamed of yourself.
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »

it's 3 CDs and a DVD in a boxset,if you "stole" it for 10 or 11 quid you should be ashamed of yourself.

So, if Amazon choose to sell it cheap - maybe we should we pay more somewhere else, just on principal!  Smiley

Seriously - and back to the actual CDs - it's a brilliant bunch of recordings (recording quality variable, of course, but what the heck - Sandy's wonderful!) - and it's beautifully packaged.  Haven't listened to it all yet, but loving it so far.  2 versions of my all-time favourite Sandy song, 'John The Gun'... bliss!

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »

What complete codswallop! If the the difference in price went to Sandy's estate, I could understand your position, but it doesn't.

The estate will get a set amount per box sold, and any difference in price is pure profit for seller or distributor. I can fully understand that we'd try & avoid paying extra.

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2007, 02:38:53 PM »

The estate will get a set amount per box sold, and any difference in price is pure profit for seller or distributor.

Good point, Chris. Amazon are not philanthropists. If they cut the price of something by more than half, they are presumably calculating that they can shift more units that way. So price-cutting is actually good news for the estate - yes?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »

What complete codswallop! If the the difference in price went to Sandy's estate, I could understand your position, but it doesn't.

The estate will get a set amount per box sold, and any difference in price is pure profit for seller or distributor. I can fully understand that we'd try & avoid paying extra.

thanks,i didn't know that.probably best to nick it then.......................................
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »

thanks,i didn't know that.probably best to nick it then.......................................

I'm not sure I understand the reason for your hostility.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »

My bargain of the century Sandy at the Beeb set arrived today.  Feeling very ashamed with myself.  But in a good way!  I do pity the poor bugger who bought my friend's original single CD at the Cropredy boot fair for 60 quid a couple of years ago.  You win some, you lose far more (in my experience!) though....  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »

http://www.metafilter.com/65154/I-wont-linger-over-any-tragedies-that-were
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »

Price at Amazon is back up to £28.99 again now.  Left it too late...  Rats!  Angry

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »

Err...hate to carry on with the Mammon thread but my copy arrived today. Invoice said £14.44 from Amazon UK although the website said £12.98 inc VAT. Appears to have been sourced from the EU, not the Big Shed Next To The M1, Milton Keynes - which suggests that it's sold rather well!

Very nice package, have only had chance to spin the DVD so far. Bit strange watching it this lunchtime actually, particularly Sandy's song book and the photos. How bloody sad it all is. The whole thing took me a very long way back to St Quintin Ave W10, Harrowdene Rd Wembley, parties, girlfriends, gigs, folk clubs, some things I wish I didn't remember. Got back to work late, feeling rather autumnal. Can't provide a reasonable critique at the moment (will leave that to Philip) but thank God the video footage has surfaced in broadcast quality, even if it maybe isn't Sandy at her transcendent best.    

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2007, 12:42:20 AM »

Price at Amazon is back up to £28.99 again now.  Left it too late...  Rats!  Angry

Actually in the UK it's cheaper than Amazon was here as postage is included in the price!
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3366181/Live-At-The-BBC/Product.html

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: