TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:14:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny Live at the BBC - now expanded!  (Read 46804 times)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 12:02:30 AM »

i'm hoping mine will turn up tomorrow (11th) my 54th birthday...................
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »

May have to wait a long time  

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-BBC-Sandy-Denny/dp/tracks/B000RHR7W0/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/104-4431569-8930360?ie=UTF8&qid=1189485614&sr=8-1#disc_1

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »

Mine hasn't shown up yet.  The suspense is killing me.   Sad

Now be thankful for good things below
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »

Mine hasn't shown up yet.  The suspense is killing me.   Sad

nor mine,postman's just been.i'm getting it from the hut,they emailed yesterday to say it had been despatched.

i've got most of the stuff on it but want to see the DVD without the glitches.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »

Yay - I finally received my copy.

OK, first the niggles.  I'm not sure that it quite justifies being a 4 disc box set.  The DVD, as we know, is a three track affair (although they have added some very tastefully done bonus material), and the "off-air" disc clocks in at just over 30 minutes.  As neither disc 1 or disc 2 fills the entire capacity of a CD, I'm thinking that maybe it should have been 2 CDs and a DVD, though the interview might have had to have been sacrificed.  I wouldn't mention this if I hadn't payed £35 which is getting on towards being the price of four individual CDs.

Also there seems to be an almost random decision about which of the pre Fairport tracks ended up on disc 1 ('sessions') or disc 4 ('off-air').  All of them sound like off-air recordings to my ears!

But when the piano kicked in on Late November, I started to become transported and I forgot about all of this stuff.  There's some killer performances on here.  Especially on the latter part of disc 1, and all of disc 2.  Her voice just soars.  And her piano and guitar playing ain't so bad either!

And it's lovely to have those three performances on DVD in such fine quality.  I got quite teary seeing her sing and play.  Usually I only hear the voice and I sometimes forget about the flesh and bone woman behind it.  But watching her play and sing......it's just so special.

The box and booklet are beautifully done.  I was sorry to see that there were no musician credits though for the songs for which she is joined by a band.  Does anyone have these details?

So overall, it's a welcome addition to my shelves.  It's far from being the bargain of the century, but there's plenty of Sandy magic within the covers.

Jules

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »

I was sorry to see that there were no musician credits though for the songs for which she is joined by a band.  Does anyone have these details?

This came up earlier in the thread, actually. As far as I know:

Disc 1 tracks 3-4 with some or all of Johnny Silvo’s combo (Johnny gtr/voc, Roger Evans gtr, Dave Moses bs)
Disc 1 tracks 16-19 with Hughie Burns gtr, Pat Donaldson bs, Willie Murray drums (how I wish RT or Donahue had been around that day, but you can’t have everything!) Sounds like there’s a brass section on 16 and 17 too, not identified.
Disc 4 tracks 1-4 again with Silvo’s men. I believe Johnny was off with the flu that day (contrary to what it says on the “promo card”).

Hope this helps.

I think this is a fab set. Reportedly sales have been strong in the first week (despite the music mags giving far more prominence to the L&L re-re-re-re-issue) and it has already recouped its costs. I plan to publish a review on my Sandy blog when I get time.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »

Sales must have been strong - they couldn't keep up with the demand from my local shop which is why I've been kept waiting.  I think they've ordered a dozen copies in so far.

Thanks for the musician info!

Jules

Philip W

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »

Disc 1 tracks 16-19 with Hughie Burns gtr, Pat Donaldson bs, Willie Murray drums (how I wish RT or Donahue had been around that day, but you can’t have everything!) Sounds like there’s a brass section on 16 and 17 too, not identified.

Although those tracks were all recorded at one session, I suspect the personnel for the rock-oriented and the jazz-flavoured numbers was different. The two jazz numbers previously appeared on Boxful of Treasures. There the credits given are: Sandy Denny vcls/piano, Diz Dizley gtr, Dave Mattacks drums, Danny Thomson [acoustic] bass, Basing Street Brass. That sounds much more like it, except I can't believe that's Sandy on piano. It's someone who can play fluent trad jazz. Ian Whiteman, maybe, with whom she worked quite a bit?

Loath as I am to criticise this excellent boxset, I do wish they'd researched the musician credits!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »

Loath as I am to criticise this excellent boxset, I do wish they'd researched the musician credits!

Maybe they did?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »

Maybe they did?

Well if they did, then they forgot to include their findings!

Jules

Philip W

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »

Amazon UK is now selling this at £12.98:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-BBC-Sandy-Denny/dp/B000RHR7W0/ref=sr_1_1/026-2227610-4380443?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190109845&sr=1-1

Having shelled out almost £33 to the same company for the same product a week before release I am hopping mad. I thought, in the marketplace, people who pre-order were supposed to be rewarded, not massively penalised.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 11:37:22 AM »

Amazon UK is now selling this at £12.98:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-BBC-Sandy-Denny/dp/B000RHR7W0/ref=sr_1_1/026-2227610-4380443?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190109845&sr=1-1

Having shelled out almost £33 to the same company for the same product a week before release I am hopping mad. I thought, in the marketplace, people who pre-order were supposed to be rewarded, not massively penalised.

That really is outrageous.  The irony is that whilst I think £33 is a bit steep for 2 and a half CDs and a three song DVD, £13 is going too far the other way!  Maybe somewhere in between the two would have been better for everyone involved.

That doesn't hep either of us feeling we were somewhat robbed though!

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »

So complain to Amazon.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »

Pretty certain you'll find it's a mistake - and orders will be cancelled after being made...they describe it as a 2-disc set but then list the contents of all the discs...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

Hmmm - can they do this?

If the product is deleted, yes they can - but surely they have to honour something that is advertised correctly?

We'll see - MIne is supposed to arrive on Friday.

Philip W

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »

So complain to Amazon.

I did. I just had an apologetic reply saying that they are refunding me £20.01, reflecting "the difference between the price you were charged and the current discounted price". So it's a genuine bargain-basement offer. What are you all waiting for?!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »

Well done!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »

So complain to Amazon.

I did. I just had an apologetic reply saying that they are refunding me £20.01, reflecting "the difference between the price you were charged and the current discounted price". So it's a genuine bargain-basement offer. What are you all waiting for?!

That's just me left feeling like a sucker then - I bought mine from a shop!  LOL

Angry

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

Well, as I haven't got round to getting (a legal) copy yet I've just ordered one at the quoted price...we'll see what happens...!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2007, 05:25:17 PM »

Interesting... Thanks for the heads-up!

I placed an order on Amazon for this and another (as yet unreleased) album and asked Amazon to send them together. Since they'd not dispatched yet I asked Amazon to cancel the original order and then placed exactly the same order again, this time with the lower Sandy price  Smiley

Amazon asked for a reason for the cancelation and their list of choices included "found it cheaper elsewhere". Surprisingly it didn't have a choice for "found it cheaper on this very same site"  Grin

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: