TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny Live at the BBC - now expanded!  (Read 46815 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »

Hi Jules

No. There's no duplication of tracks between the existing Fairport box and the upcoming Sandy box (which is mostly her solo). They are designed to be complementary. Have a look at the tracklisting at www.myspace.com/sandydenny

Blimey, I sound like a salesman! I should be on commission.

Philip aka Pete

Sorry Pete...uh...I mean Philip.   Embarrassed

Thanks for the info and the link.  Much appreciated!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »

Hi folks

Can I suggest we revive this earlier thread for talking about this set, now that reviews are starting to appear? I'm in touch with someone who was involved with compiling it, so am happy to answer any more questions people have about content etc. Release date is set for 10 September.

Philip

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »

I've already ordered it from my local dealer and cannot wait to hear it. I notice on the track listing that accompanying player is mentioned e few times,, does that imply that where nothing is stated, Sandy sings solo to own guitar or piano accompaniment? I noticed the old Fairport-connected "You Never Wanted Me" was included. That might be a solo effort, then?

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Philip W

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »

I notice on the track listing that accompanying player is mentioned a few times, does that imply that where nothing is stated, Sandy sings solo to own guitar or piano accompaniment?

Basically, yes. I think everything on discs 1 and 2 (plus the DVD) is Sandy solo with piano or guitar. On disc 4 The Spinners stuff is duets (with Mick Groves and Richard Thompson) and, on the same disc, the concert where she does 'You Never Wanted Me' is with the Johnny Silvo Folk Four.

Funny - I see Johnny Silvo is appearing at Cambridge Folk Club in October. I really must try to have a word with him about his old mate!  

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »

Thanks for enlightening me. Although I personally prefer to hear Sandy sing, fronting a band/group, this is a release I have been waiting for. Sandy on her own is close to as good as with a band  Wink

Philip W

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 02:20:24 PM »

I think everything on discs 1 and 2 (plus the DVD) is Sandy solo with piano or guitar.

Slight correction to that. On disc 1 the Cellar Full of Folk session from 1967 is also with the Johnny Silvo Folk Four and the Bob Harris session from 1973 is with Hughie Burns, Pat Donaldson and Willie Murray.

Here is the press release and promo card for the boxset:

Sandy Denny – Live At The BBC

Universal Music Catalogue and Island Records are delighted to announce the release of a lavish four cd box set containing all almost every recording Sandy Denny made for the BBC. 3 CDs containing sessions, concerts and ‘off air’ recordings of tracks ‘lost’ by the beeb alongside a DVD of her only surviving TV performances and a 38 page DVD booklet containing extracts from her handwritten note books including unreleased song lyrics, sketches and unseen photographs.

A truly unique collection of recordings, regarded by many to contain her finest works.

This stunning box set will be available from 10th September. Follow this link for sneak preview of the luscious design and exclusive guide to the recordings.

http://zaphod.uk.vvhp.net/v-v/070831161213

Philip W

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »

Strong reviews of this in October issues of:

Mojo (Jim Irvin, 5 stars)
Uncut (Rob Young, 5 stars)
Q (Peter Kane, 3 stars - stingy, but they only give Linda Thompson's new one 3 stars!)
Record Collector trails it in "Acoustic/Songwriter" news, so maybe they are holding off till November.

Anyone seen any others?

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

I wonder if my pre-ordered copy might have arrived today or not.  My local independent shop often does get new releases in the Friday before the release date.....

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:59 PM »

Envy,envy,envy  Wink

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »

It arrived here today. Looks beautiful, same packaging as the Fairport BBC set (i.e. the "book" idea). Not much text in the booklet, but many pics, a lot of them never published before I think. The music I'll play in the coming days, most of it I know either from the original Strange Fruit CD or old tapes, but it's a welcome/essential addition to the Sandy catalogue - at last this BBC stuff is now widely availabe.

And this surely makes Fairport the most "boxed" band in history when you count the essential musicians' "solo" box sets. This is the 3rd Sandy Denny box; there's also 3 Fairport box sets (inc Cropredy Capers). Then the Swarb - RT - Hutchings - Pegg boxes - which 'mother'-band beats that?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »

And this surely makes Fairport the most "boxed" band in history when you count the essential musicians' "solo" box sets. This is the 3rd Sandy Denny box; there's also 3 Fairport box sets (inc Cropredy Capers). Then the Swarb - RT - Hutchings - Pegg boxes - which 'mother'-band beats that?

I was thinkig similar thoughts myself.  Getting into Fairport has really boosted my Box Set Shelf!

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »

I was thinkig similar thoughts myself.  Getting into Fairport has really boosted my Box Set Shelf!

Jules

And only 3 years to wait until the SJB Nicol box set too....  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 06:04:48 PM »

Ashley's had 2, The more recent Free Reed one plus the collected Guvnor CD's.
In addition there's FC related stuff on The Acoustic Folk Box.
You could also get The Carthy Chronicles too, there's related stuff  on that as well.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 06:10:16 PM »

Ashley's had 2, The more recent Free Reed one plus the collected Guvnor CD's.
In addition there's FC related stuff on The Acoustic Folk Box.
You could also get The Carthy Chronicles too, there's related stuff  on that as well.

Let's not forget RT's Watching the Dark either...a vast improvement on the latter set imho....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 07:24:10 PM »

Pedant's corner. I'm not sure that you can improve on something that was subsequent. But I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment!  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »

Pedant's corner. I'm not sure that you can improve on something that was subsequent. But I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment!  Smiley

You're quite right of course.  The bloody shame of it all.... Wink

In fact, if I'm being truthfully pedantic myself, I'd have to admit to being uncomfortable with the '3-discness' of WtD as well.  But, hell, it's still a box set to me....it's just the box was smaller!

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »

Now THAT would be something!!!  Wink

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »

Now THAT would be something!!!  Wink

Judging on what's been released already, I'll be shocked if a Simon Nicol box set doesn't happen!

Jules

malcolm weaver

Loc: Notts.

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

Re: Sandy's box set, having arrived today, much impressed with the dvd, the quality is great!! so much more real after the youtube versions. The early recordings on disc one have a lovely ethereal quality to them and you start to appreciate the textures to her voice.  Loved the interview, the box presentaion is excellent. Impressed with her guitar work.
                                   Still have to plow through the rest..... it's leaving me wanting more.... Smiley  

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »

Stop it you lot - I'm trying to wait until pay day because I'm getting too old for (over)draughts!

We apologise for that joke - must have been the programme about the Beano & the Dandy on BBC4 just now - what a hoot.
Little Plum, your Redskin Chum - how delightfully non PC. Me go wigwam now for um kip before buy um Minnie the Minx box set off Amazon.

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: