TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sloth  (Read 41553 times)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

I'm Pretty sure I've got 4 versions. The Full House version, The Cropredy 07 version, The Fairport unConventional version and The Live Convention version.

Imponderable Joy
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 02:09:52 AM »

Funny, this may border on the blasphemous, but I think the original studio Full House is my least favorite of the versions I've heard (FH, House Full, Airing-Cupboard, Unconventional).  Of these, my favorites are actually the (surprisingly RT-less) Airing-Cupboard '71, with the excellent lead guitar by Simon Nicol, and the '75 (?) version on the Unconventional Box (same as the Before the Moon one?).  The latter has such interesting solos and great vocals all around....Trevor & Sandy sound awesome on it.

Would love to have heard that 2007 one with Richard AND Jerry.....
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »

Try Youtube. Wink

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »

The best version I ever heard was in a marquee at Thoresby in Notts in July 1979.

Swarb's fiddle solo as so hauntingly beautiful I will never forget it.

Sadly it wasn't recorded  Sad

Was anyone else there?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »

I've got at least 9 Sloths - one day I will mix them all together into one giant sloth...

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

I've got at least 9 Sloths - one day I will mix them all together into one giant sloth...

I think I have 19, all but one official releases (though it hadn't previously occurred to me that the Before The Moon and Unconventional versions might be the same recording. I must check that out). But I have none from the late 70s or mid 80s (without guests) line ups and I would dearly love some.
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »

Would love to have heard that 2007 one with Richard AND Jerry.....

That was amazing.  As I recall (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but it was the Full House lineup, aided by Jerry on guitar, Chris on vocals and fiddle, and Gerry on second drums (or possibly percussion?).  
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »

Thought I'd revive this thread since there's quite a bit of Sloth chatter going on over in the "When We Were Very Young" thread right now.  I'd like to suggest that if another box set of rare Fairport material comes out in the future, it should include the version of Sloth from Oslo 1975 (with Paul Warren on drums) that was left off of the Many Ears to Please CD due to time constraints.

Agreed. I would have happily paid more for a double-CD version, just to avoid losing that one track.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »

Thought I'd revive this thread since there's quite a bit of Sloth chatter going on over in the "When We Were Very Young" thread right now.  I'd like to suggest that if another box set of rare Fairport material comes out in the future, it should include the version of Sloth from Oslo 1975 (with Paul Warren on drums) that was left off of the Many Ears to Please CD due to time constraints.

Agreed. I would have happily paid more for a double-CD version, just to avoid losing that one track.

hear hear
and i would happily pay for a download of this version

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »

Try Youtube. Wink

Have you seen the shortest ever version on there? W. Linda Thompson on vocals, and Swarb so sure he wouldn't get time for a solo that he didn't even bring a fiddle along. (Always assuming he hadn't simply left it on a film set earlier that day or something...  Grin )

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »

The best version I ever heard was in a marquee at Thoresby in Notts in July 1979.

Swarb's fiddle solo as so hauntingly beautiful I will never forget it.

Sadly it wasn't recorded  Sad

Was anyone else there?

No. I wasn't there, but I do remember you mentioning this occasion on Talkawhile several times before Jen.  Roll Eyes

RT with Swarb last year my only live experience of Sloth. Mercifully, not too long either!

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Indeed I have mentioned it before.. it was well worth repeats, lots of peeps won't know about it.

Wish it had been recorded...  Simon??

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Tony F

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »

[/quote]

RT with Swarb last year my only live experience of Sloth. Mercifully, not too long either!
[/quote]

I just watched a youtube of one of these performances, and I may have a new favorite Sloth!  Beautiful.  Just the two men who wrote it, revisiting its jeweled caves as masters.  
Tony F

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »

Try Youtube. Wink

Finally got around to your suggestion last evening!  Wonderful.  Everything I'd daydream a Cropredy Sloth to be....  Love that Swarb resurrects the psychedelic fiddle!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

Was that the performance at 'Conkers'?

If so there were several TAWers there.. it was a bril night.. hard on the bum though  Wink

Tony F

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »

Was that the performance at 'Conkers'?

If so there were several TAWers there.. it was a bril night.. hard on the bum though  Wink

I'm sneaking in from work today ; ) so no youtube access at the moment, but I'll post the link once I'm home and see if you recognize it....  Conkers doesn't ring a bell, but then I'm not sure it actually identifies the venue.

And it was hard on the bum because....?  Hard chairs?  Cement lawn?  Grin
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »

Tiered concrete type seating under a rather fine tarpaulin.. a very cold night i seem to remember.. i think we'd been warned and taken cushions.. still got a numb bum though... but WELL worth it!

Tony F

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »

Tiered concrete type seating under a rather fine tarpaulin.. a very cold night i seem to remember.. i think we'd been warned and taken cushions.. still got a numb bum though... but WELL worth it!

Well done, I'd have happily braved mine!  The guys are wearing jackets, and it looks like a tarp, so maybe.....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PeOHJt7-c

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »

Its a magical version...magical.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »

That's it!  24th July '09.. Conkers in Leicestershire.. what a great set they did, it was such a pleasure to hear Swarb sing again.
Diane was there as were clive, Tracy, Gower Flower and Zoe, Chris Bates... and a few more besides.

Thanks for the link  Cool Tiara

My photos weren't up to much, but here's one anyway!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:01:30 AM by Amethyst (Jenny) » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: