TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sloth  (Read 41559 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« on: April 22, 2007, 08:37:51 PM »

How many versions of Sloth are there? I currently have four, the original, the airing cupboard tapes version, Cropredy 97 and Live Convention. How many more are there that aren't on boot? Which is your favourite?

Ollie

Sorry gower!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »

Well, I have 11 officially released versions. It takes about 2 hours & 50 minutes to listen to them back to back. Believe me, I've done it! My favourite? The one with both RT & Jerry Donahue contributing solos at Cropredy on The Cropredy Box or the really long one on The Boot.

The others are on Live, Before The Moon, Unconventional, AT2, The Other Boot, the RT box, The 25th Aniversary Concert (Cropredy 1992), Cropredy 2002 and of course Full House.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:01:59 PM by GubGub » Logged
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »

Well, I have 10 officially released versions. It takes about 2 hours & 40 minutes to listen to them back to back. Believe me, I've done it! My favourite? The one with both RT & Jerry Donahue contributing solos at Cropredy on The Cropredy Box or the really long one on The Boot.

10!!!  Shocked Please tell me which CD's.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jo Robinson
Praying for Cleveland

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

Well, I have 10 officially released versions. It takes about 2 hours & 40 minutes to listen to them back to back. Believe me, I've done it! My favourite? The one with both RT & Jerry Donahue contributing solos at Cropredy on The Cropredy Box or the really long one on The Boot.

I only have three, but I'll second the version on the Cropredy Box.  Awesome stuff.

Artistic Freedom Collective North America - promoting the grassroots music movement of independent artists!
www.afc-na.ning.com
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »

Have updated my post Ollie. Got it wrong first time!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »

With that many, they should release a 2-CD set of all the versions of Sloth, including a newly recorded version from Cropredy 2007. come on, they've got to do it haven't they! I mean, RT, JD, both Whishbone Ash guitarist (well, I think they're is still 2) and Marcos Rodriguez. I'm sure Ric would love to get his teeth into, maybe swarb, and chris (if he does, I dare someone to bet him that he can't slip a morris tune in there somewhere) That could last at least an hour.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

Actually, I forgot two more from Cropredy Capers & House Full so we are over 3 hours now!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »

Actually, I forgot two more from Cropredy Capers & House Full so we are over 3 hours now!

Is there a version on House Full? I have the 80's re-issue on vinyl and I don't think that it's on there. Maybe I should get it on CD. BTW, how long is the longest one?

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 09:23:10 PM »

Mine is the Hannibal re-issue from the early 90s. Haven't checked the latest version but I'm guessing it is on there too.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

With that many, they should release a 2-CD set of all the versions of Sloth, including a newly recorded version from Cropredy 2007. come on, they've got to do it haven't they! I mean, RT, JD, both Whishbone Ash guitarist (well, I think they're is still 2) and Marcos Rodriguez. I'm sure Ric would love to get his teeth into, maybe swarb, and chris (if he does, I dare someone to bet him that he can't slip a morris tune in there somewhere) That could last at least an hour.

Overkill (and no, that's not a suggestion for the Motorhead song)!  Leave it to Richard and Jerry (although reminding Simon that some of his versions '77-'85 were great too wouldn't be a bad idea)...too many cooks spoil the broth and all that... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »

Overkill (and no, that's not a suggestion for the Motorhead song)!  Leave it to Richard and Jerry (although reminding Simon that some of his versions '77-'85 were great too wouldn't be a bad idea)...too many cooks spoil the broth and all that... Smiley

Maybe you are right, but a pinch of Marcos Rodrigez in that broth shouldn't be too much.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:08:49 AM »

i dont know quite how many versions have been released officialy
but theres dozens of boots with sloth in all its many forms, it w3as after all a staple of the live set from Full House till the split

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »

Is there a version on House Full? I have the 80's re-issue on vinyl and I don't think that it's on there. Maybe I should get it on CD. BTW, how long is the longest one?

Not only is there a version on House Full, but there's a different version on the original vinyl version of the live 1970 material Live At The LA Troubadour.  I've yet to hear it, but I'm assured it's a totally different take.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »

BTW, how long is the longest one?

The longest ones I have (two of similar length) are about 19 and a half minutes.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 11:34:46 AM »

Having spat venom at Sloth in the past, I'm gradually coming round to the idea.  It is a good vehicle for improvs after all - I guess I just wasn't expecting to find that sort of thing around hereabouts (which is part, of course, of what makes Fairport so great).

I can only agree with letting Ric and Marcos have a go - that would be worth 20 minutes of my life. Wink

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »

....the versions of Sloth, including a newly recorded version from Cropredy 2007. come on, they've got to do it haven't they! I mean, RT, JD,  

This Cropredy being my first in 20 years I´d be heavily disappointed should "Sloth" not be played with the above guitarists present. Somewhere I have a version, I think from Denver and the 75 Sandy-Trevor-Swarb etc.line-up, with a totally awesome, cruel and devastating bass part from our own Mr Pegg, not to mention the other solo´s.
I had an idea to get myself a CD with only "Sloth"s on it to play in the car to and from Croppers but I guess the family will kill me... Grin Grin Grin
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Dr Monk

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »

I too love the Denver version for the searing vocals on the chorus that include Sandy as well as the soloing by Jerry, Swarb and Peggy.

For all the wonderful virtuosity heard on this track over the years though, my favourite is still the orginal. Simon's under-rated rhythm playing has been mentioned a few times on this board and in few places is it more evident than on the way this song develops on Full House as the whole rhythm section vary and build the sequences beneath Richard and Swarb's playing. Magic.  
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

....the versions of Sloth, including a newly recorded version from Cropredy 2007. come on, they've got to do it haven't they! I mean, RT, JD,  

I had an idea to get myself a CD with only "Sloth"s on it to play in the car to and from Croppers but I guess the family will kill me... Grin Grin Grin
Staffan

love that idea ... recently did one with loads of versions oh "Who knows ....." with various vocalists ..... sublime!

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »

Staffan

love that idea ... recently did one with loads of versions oh "Who knows ....." with various vocalists ..... sublime!

taken up your idea, and am now burning a CD with 4 Sloths, 3 Matties and 2 lots of Dirty Linen. Later I will burn a CD with some slower ones, methinks 4 Who Knows, 3 Meets, 3 Portmeirions, and maybe 2 Hiring Fairs

dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »

Thought I'd revive this thread since there's quite a bit of Sloth chatter going on over in the "When We Were Very Young" thread right now.  I'd like to suggest that if another box set of rare Fairport material comes out in the future, it should include the version of Sloth from Oslo 1975 (with Paul Warren on drums) that was left off of the Many Ears to Please CD due to time constraints.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: