TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:45:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic gigs this autumn  (Read 42956 times)
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »

I quite agree steve-n, its great we're not all the same.

Maybe there are "good commercial reasons" for not playing anything from the new album. I think it more likely they haven't had time to rehearse anything from it to be honest what with having to record it as well and I quite understand and accept that. However, FC do have a somewhat large back catalogue so they do have a choice.

whilst each performance is in itself unique, if the songs are the same and the banter much the same then much as I love the chaps I can do without seeing a repeat thanks. I think as paying punters we deserve more.

Interesting to read the Show of Hands tour diary where Steve tells us that he decided quite late in the day to premiere a new song one evening. That keeps the show fresh and different. And on the same tour as well  Roll Eyes  Now unless FC play the whole new Cd every night I don't see why they can't pick and mix, so to speak, on the wintour.

as for the acoustic one, I'll give it a miss based on whats been posted here.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:01 AM »

I think it more likely they haven't had time to rehearse anything from it to be honest what with having to record it as well and I quite understand and accept that. However, FC do have a somewhat large back catalogue so they do have a choice.

And surely the same arfument can be made for the back-catalogue? It all needs rehearsing.....cut 'em some slack....

Interesting to read the Show of Hands tour diary where Steve tells us that he decided quite late in the day to premiere a new song one evening. That keeps the show fresh and different. And on the same tour as well  Roll Eyes  Now unless FC play the whole new Cd every night I don't see why they can't pick and mix, so to speak, on the wintour.

A lot easier to do when theere are only two on stage.....Miranda just sits out if it's unreheased.

mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »

I am cutting them some slack, I'm just a paying punter who wants to be entertained by one of his fav bands when I go and see them. If I see the same concert that I saw some 6 months before then I feel as if somethings not quite right.

I don't agree the same arguement can't be made for the back catalogue Chris. They have played some of them before acoustically so they have an understanding of how the song plays. I accept that to play the new Cd songs acoustically would take a while longer to sort out the arrangements etc but for songs they have already played before (and not during the last tour) they have a head start so rehearsal shouldn't take too long.

As for SoH agreed its easier if there is only two but its still a new song and its being introduced half way through a tour. My point being is that it can be done.  And Miranda doesn't always sit out new songs btw. As far as the chaps are concerned then Gerry could sit out a song whilst Simon, Chris and Ric play something from the trio tour they did recently. Just a thought.

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 09:11:57 AM »

Not going to give a set list cos you can probably guess most of it.  Now be Thankfull was absolutley fantastic.  The chaps had a ball playing to an appreciative audience, all appears to well in the Fairport camp.  Well done lads and thanks for a good night out! Fez Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »

Hear hear a great night out and i finally got to meet Chris resident of this Parish !  Wink
Also I spotted someone who lives down the road from me who I had no idea was a fan! Shocked

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »

A good night was had by all.....roll on the 100 club.

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »

oh no....I'm going tonight to Maidstone but don't really want it to be the same songs as before  Undecided

Oh well I know I'm still going to enjoy it cos I love seeing them live  Chris-Full

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 05:19:18 PM »

Hope to see you there JJ,

I'd better go and get ready.........
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »

Hope you both have fun!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 10:50:42 PM »

oh no....I'm going tonight to Maidstone but don't really want it to be the same songs as before  Undecided

Oh well I know I'm still going to enjoy it cos I love seeing them live  Chris-Full

My point exactly JJ. hope they played some different ones for you. But if not hope you enjoyed it anyway, I'm sure the chaps were great whatever they played.

Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:12 AM »

They were bloomin brilliant, played 19 songs and one of those was Meet on the Ledge!!! Grin Shocked.  Do not hesitate..go and see them,  more tomorrow...probably

cheers chaps, hope you got home safely
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2006, 10:42:51 AM »

My point exactly JJ. hope they played some different ones for you. But if not hope you enjoyed it anyway, I'm sure the chaps were great whatever they played.

They were great  Grin  and I don't think it was the same, obviously some songs were but I've not heard Simon singing Lancashire Hills before  Huh unless my mind is playing me up!

But it was made special because we had front row seats (not far from Angela, Dennis & Jack)  and could share the fun and camaraderie, between them all but to watch Gerry with his amazing percussion, like Pandora's box! Never did work out what that large cylinder shaped thing was........ Gerry-Full

It was a really good night despite heavy traffic getting to Maidstone and the M25 on a Friday night  Roll Eyes

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »

They were bloomin brilliant

They were brilliant with Dennis!  Grin He got a chat at the bar area with Simon, a fantastic chat with Henry on the Merch stall (Fairport, the Second Generation  Wink )........and then taken out the back VIP style to meet them all, a set list after the show, a dedication for his birthday, a mention and set of tunes for Angela's birthday and, as if that's not enough Simon dropped his capo off the stage,  and as we were in the front row along came Dennis to the rescue!  Grin I think you could say that he enjoyed it very much, now as for Jack........he fell asleep! LOL  Grin

Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2006, 04:53:26 PM »

I also really enjoyed last night.  I haven't seen the acoustic line up since the last visit to Maidstone when Maart was in the band.  The hall originally booked in the leisure centre seemed to be getting ready for Christmas so we were in a smaller hall, which was lovely as I think everyone got a great view of the small stage!  It was a good selection of songs, hubby even said he enjoyed the selection, a couple of my favourites, Rosemarys sister the hiring fair another,  being one, and I don't believe I have heard them do Over the Lancashire Hills before either.  Went away very happy, particularly as it was my birthday!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »

They seem to be varying the set list from gig to gig - I don't I saw it on the list at Bilston?...Good news!

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2006, 09:34:47 PM »

Not going to give a set list cos you can probably guess most of it.  Now be Thankfull was absolutley fantastic.  The chaps had a ball playing to an appreciative audience, all appears to well in the Fairport camp.  Well done lads and thanks for a good night out! Fez Fez

[attachment deleted by admin]

Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:55 PM »

A great night was had by all at Bury last night. Grin  The chaps seemed very relaxed and some of their banter had me in stitches - Simon going all pedantic on us when Chris was explaining about a small church in an even smaller town before they played "I'm Already There" was hilarious.  Stand out songs/tunes were "Now Be Thankful", "Canny Capers", and a boisterous "John Gaudie" to finish the show before the encore of "MOTL".

A quick mention for Tiny Tin Lady.  Their support slot was short but superb and they seem to improve every time I see them - At this rate they'll be blowing Fairport off the stage by the end of the Winter Tour.  Wink Grin

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2006, 12:59:43 PM »

Just about to set off from a very sunny Southampton, I'm heading to Lewes to see the chaps this evening. Is anyone else from the board going ? If so, I hope to see you there.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »

Seriously good gig last night - must have been the best on the tourette!

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2006, 12:54:00 AM »

Seriously good gig last night - must have been the best on the tourette!
It was a terrific gig in Lewes, the chaps all reckoned they saved the best 'til last. 'Twas good to meet and chat to Tarda and Rachie poos. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: