TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Convention Tour 06  (Read 48537 times)
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »

Still trying to figure out the link between Mary Anning and Charles Dickens.... presumably Simon is preparing for an American creationist audience.

Steve

Charles Darwin, possibly? Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2006, 01:00:37 PM »

... and I still say it's about time Chris had a haircut .... !!

You sound like my dad, circa 1970.

(First try at adding a quote - hope it works !!!)

My reasons are totally different to your Dad's (I hope). Long hair on most men is to be encouraged!

It's just that Chris looks better with short hair.

Sorry, but it's a girl thing ... or maybe just a Bridgwit thing

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »

Oooerr! Bridgwit, don't let that Amethyst hear you saying that! (better with short hair.....)

She'll have you walking the plank at Cropredy Wink

That's not dirt, it's patination!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2006, 01:15:22 PM »

... and I still say it's about time Chris had a haircut .... !!

You sound like my dad, circa 1970.

(First try at adding a quote - hope it works !!!)

My reasons are totally different to your Dad's (I hope). Long hair on most men is to be encouraged!

It's just that Chris looks better with short hair.

Sorry, but it's a girl thing ... or maybe just a Bridgwit thing

As a follically challenged male I'm just envious of Chris's ability to grow such luxuriant locks.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »

Wish I could've seen this tour, sounds great.  Thanks for all the reviews and photos people, I may not get in here often anymore (work pressures) but when I do it's lovely to be able to see photos of the Chaps doing what they do and looking pleased to be doing it.

PS Bridgwit.  I happen to agree with you, but keep the tin hat handy...  Still, haircut or no haircut I wouldn't say no to a Native American Flute lesson or three.  Hell, I'd even take up the fiddle!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2006, 05:25:26 PM »

Still trying to figure out the link between Mary Anning and Charles Dickens.... presumably Simon is preparing for an American creationist audience.

Steve

Charles Darwin, possibly? Wink

Erm,yes.....hence the second part of my sentence. Wink

Steve
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »

I heard that Bridgwit .. and Anna...  plank ready... Shocked Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2006, 01:47:40 PM »

TOPIC DRIFT.....

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

Apologies for the delay in posting this but I have been rather busy lately and I’ve not been around as much as I would have liked.

Katy’s Dad and I were at the Tonbridge gig.  We only just arrived in time due to hold-ups on the M25 and entered the foyer as the request to take your seat was broadcast.

I think the set list was similar to last year’s but as I don’t keep records of such things I cannot be sure.  No matter – it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.  The musicianship was superb, as you’d expect, and the atmosphere was relaxed and more intimate than a normal FC gig.  It was an opportunity for the audience to experience some different aspects of the band members’ personalities, as expressed through their music. I am particularly enjoying the contrast between these two dimensions of Fairport.

Two songs stood out for me.  One was Over The Lancashire Hills.  It was the first time I’ve heard it performed ‘live’ and the whole evening was worth it just for that!  It was sung with such feeling and sensitivity that I nearly cried.  The other was Close To The Wind.  The arrangement and the performance were excellent and it sounded brilliant.  As I have been responsible for some rather uncomplimentary remarks about it in the past (when it was performed at Grays) I feel I need to make amends.

All in all, a great evening out.

(And was that Henry Nicol I spotted on the merch desk?)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »

(And was that Henry Nicol I spotted on the merch desk?)

It was indeed....

klaproos
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »

We were at Carnglaze Cavern at the end of May en famille, me, dh, son (Cool and daughter (10). I lurk on this board a lot - normally over dh's shoulder! - but feel my first post must be on behalf of the children who are captivated by FC, particularly my daughter. They are her favourite boy band (!) and she actually fell for Simon's line about the band being set up by his father, bless her.

Carnglaze is an underground cavern (as I suppose most caverns are) and I have to say the setting for the acoustics was quite mesmerising. Luckily dh and daughter had already been last year so knew how cold it was going to be.....so we were all well wrapped up. Where else would members of the band discuss the lyrics of a 10 year old's favourite song (Rosemary's Sister) with her, or make the effort to come over and ask how they enjoyed the concert? Thanks to you all, lovely men, it's so wonderful watching the children fall in love with the songs we know practically off by heart.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2006, 09:20:16 PM »

A very warm welcome to  Kalproos and thank you for the heartwarming report from Carnglaze.

I've noticed you standing on someone's shoulder, with your nose pressed against the window.  I'm glad you've taken the plunge and decided to make your first post.  Every effort will be made to ensure that you stayawhile and tell us more.  You've obviously been aware of FC for some time and so we look forward to getting your thoughts, views, memories and so forth.  When you have the time, please join me in the members only Hospitality Area - the Corporation Arms, see 'Introduce yourself to members' - for sherry and nibbles.  Bring your favourite CDs.

Sir Robert Peel
Global Moderator
218 years.
klaproos
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2006, 09:38:01 PM »

What a sweet welcome - thank you! Have definitely been aware of FC for some time - was distinctly uncool at uni 22 years ago when everyone else liked The Human League. Trying to turn my daughter into the same kind of woman, obviously, and she's well on her way. Son wants a ukulele for his 8th birthday!
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »

Sorry for the topic drift....but I want a ukulele too, klaproos! Saw the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain in Reading last Sunday, and they were hilarious, but also brilliant musicians. Don't know how they get such rich sounds from those funny little instruments.
klaproos
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2006, 07:06:48 AM »

Aren't they astonishing? We saw them at Cropredy and loved them. They are indeed brilliant musicians. My best friend laughed her head off at me until I showed her a clip from youtube whereupon she pronounced them rather sexy!
thomf
n3wb

Loc: North Devon

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2006, 10:47:52 AM »

Some photos appear here.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now, what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems weird and scary to me.

Abe Simpson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: