TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Convention Tour 06  (Read 48533 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« on: May 05, 2006, 06:46:16 PM »

I saw them last night and they were excellent but very different, as has already been suggested. A lot of stuff from earlier line-ups of FAC and from the days when Simon and Ric were a duo. Things not heard for a while included Close to the Wind, Over the Lancashire Hills, Here There & Everywhere,
Dancer( which was the final song pre encore). A couple of senior moments but then it was early in the tour!
And Simon, if you are there, the guy who spoke to you on behalf of the children with special needs is very genuine and works very hard. I know because I sponsor them myself from my own business, as does Ray Dorset of Mungo Jerry.

The children have actually produced an excellent box set based on the 1970 Hollywood Festival.
If anyone is interested let me know, or if anyone has any memories etc which can be included.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:11:08 PM »

And Simon, if you are there, the guy who spoke to you on behalf of the children with special needs is very genuine and works very hard. I know because I sponsor them myself from my own business, as does Ray Dorset of Mungo Jerry.

The children have actually produced an excellent box set based on the 1970 Hollywood Festival.
If anyone is interested let me know, or if anyone has any memories etc which can be included.

Tell us more Nick.  Perhaps you could start a topic about the children's work and your sponsorship of them in 'Active'? 

Sir Robert Peel
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:41:53 PM »

Have you come across this site, Nick? Full of Archives and photos and info about the Hollywood Festival, but I think it contains a lot of pop-up things so be careful

http://members.fortunecity.com/timetortoise/Holly-dead.70.html#

I was supposed to play at that with Trader Horne but *ahem* I didn't................ Roll Eyes

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »

Thanks Jude, I'll pass that on as they are continually updating the box set with new music or memories etc. I live only a few miles from the festival site but missed it due to university exams in Exeter.
Funnily enough, we took the teacher involved with the project to the FAC gig last night (+wife) as a  25 th wedding anniversary present and he told me then about your reasons for missing the festival. His research is quite thorough!
However I think we are going off topic a little, so will post a detailed account elsewhere tomorrow.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:03:19 AM »

Saw 'em at Leek, The Swan, 4th May. First time I'd seen the Chris/Gerry/Simon/Ric line-up and it worked for me!  Can't remember all the set list but the overall sound was v good.  Simon plays "slightly more organised bass lines" on guitar (to quote the man himself) but other than that the arrangements are pretty much the same and work very well to my ears.  Gerry has all sorts of interesting stuff on percussion, especially the simulated pebble beach in a tube used to accompany the saintly Mary and her fossils.  Especially enjoyed Woodworm Swing with percussion and SN flashing jazz chords all over the fingerboard.  Love those major 7ths and flat 9ths....

Highly recommended.
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:18:18 PM »

Glad to hear the show is going well.
Only a few tickets left for Moulton now.
Telephone (01604) 646818 to get one
£15 each
Real Ale Bar etc etc
NickBHall
n3wb

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 07:00:04 PM »

hello
have lurked here far too long!!
really enjoyed last night's fairport acoustic set (saltaire) - especially as i was supporting the chaps in my band , the hall brothers! a dream come true - the band were lovely to us and the audience couldn't have been more welcoming; yet more proof that fairport have the nicest audience of any band going :-)
fairport's set was lovely; the acoustic format a revelation, the playing and singing a joy, the song/tune selection spot on and surprising.
and... over the lancashire hills. always a firm favourite of mine
thanks very much if you were there for being so friendly

nick
Gibson

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK

It's got to be a Gibson

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »

Excuse the incursion from McTell Mansions, but I too was at Saltaire on Friday.  I consider myself something of a lapsed Fairport Fan, as I followed them through the 70’s, and was a Cropredy regular through the 80’s and early 90’s.  But I got to the point where they just seemed to be going through the motions, and in many ways I thought they had become something of the ultimate tribute band – playing famous bits of music, but never able to come up with anything to match it.  Even their best new bits were provided by someone else.

The support was great (well done Nick), and when Simon broke a string in the first few bars of the opening number, there was just a feeling that it might be another of those nights when it wasn’t going to go right and wasn’t going to get any better than the support band.

But something has happened to Fairport.  At last, certainly with this ‘Acoustic’ line-up, they have managed to find a formula that works and I came away thinking it was the best I’d seen them in a good few years.  I’d give particular mention to some great percussion from Gerry.  There was little reliance on ‘old’ Fairport, indeed only Now Be Thankful and Meet on the Ledge made it into the set.  For the rest, there was everything from Duke Ellington to George Gershwin and the Beatles, plus other old favourites such as Hiring Fair, Woodworm Swing etc.

It was a hot night in Saltaire, and they upped the temperature a few more degrees.  But was it Fairport?  Interesting that I was a bit fed up with them trotting out the same old stuff, but when it wasn’t there, there was a sense that something was missing!  Perhaps after all, Fairport are really about re-invention, and that has to be good.  It will be interesting to see the ‘full’ version when they next come round again.  If you’re as yet undecided as to whether to see this line-up, check it out.  It’s well worth it. 
 Cool

You can't have too many guitars
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 09:06:40 PM »

OOhhh this time next week Fairport Acoustic will be playing for us at Papplewick Village Hall..

A few tix left.. don't miss out!!!

Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 09:33:53 PM »

Thanks to Gibson for the balanced and insightful review of Faircousticonvention.

'Is it Fairport?' 

Now that's an interesting question.

Peel
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »

There will be a fair few of us at the Sheffield gig tonight...

Well...  Amy, Puggs, Rachel +, Rachie Poos + Andrew son of Tarda, Big Dave, Pete Gray +..

Have I forgotten anyone??

See you there...  Grin Grin Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

Have a brilliant time all. Wish I could catch a spring tour gig.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:36 PM »

Well, I'm looking forward to Saturday.  Cup Final in the afternoon, then off to see the chaps in the Evening.  It should make the first more palletable, whatever the result!

Neil

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »

Well, I'm looking forward to Saturday.  Cup Final in the afternoon, then off to see the chaps in the Evening.  It should make the first more palletable, whatever the result!

Neil

Looks like you're a West Ham supporter.  I'm pretty confident you'll enjoy Fairport more than you'll enjoy the Cup Final.

Doc
Fairport and Liverpool FC supporter.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 08:13:18 AM »

A great night in Sheffield last night...  good to see a selection of TAWs... 

Gill your offspring were looking good and enjoying the gig!

Grin Grin

tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 08:22:47 AM »

A great night in Sheffield last night...  good to see a selection of TAWs... 

Gill your offspring were looking good and enjoying the gig!

Grin Grin

Thanks Jenny.  Kiss

Glad that a good time was had by all (- but was there ever any doubt?!!  Wink )

I'm everso envious!

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27:40 AM »

No ... never any doubt!!!

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »

Southampton tonight, I know Chris Bates will be there, are any other TAWs coming along?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »

No, but going to Worcester tomorrow.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »

So who's coming to Papplewick...  just a few tix left....  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: