TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:23:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 182584 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:10 PM »

Unseriously:

Come on kids, let's stagger across the finishing line.  Grin

Seriously:

There are those that can only appreciate what was done many a decade ago, but let's just appreciate a band that has kept on doing new.  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 01:20:40 AM »

Can I point out please that in my earlier post there's no criticism. I was responding to an earlier post that mentioned Steeleye.
I am posting here far less than I used to for many reasons .
I read people's recommendations of new stuff to listen to but if t/awhile becomes a site where people can't express an opinion without being called negative.......what is the point of it's existence?
Jim hasn't liked much of Fairports output since 1985. That's not criticism , it's Jim's opinion. One might ask why he follows a band he doesn't like much but that's a different story.
Future posts will simply read.....
I like Fairport.
Yes I like them too.
I like them very much and I like Toyah too.
Yes I like Toyah too.
I like Toyah very much too
and on ad nauseum.
G night you bunch of old farts..........whose opinions and company I happen to like a lot 😘😘😘😱😂
Just sometimes it's ok to disagree about music.
I like the Incredible String Band.....
I like the Incredible String too.....................l😱

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 07:08:56 AM »

I also agree that Steeleye have put out a couple of fine albums in the past few years and I hope they continue to do so. All I was saying that people are criticising an album that hasn't even been released yet and that no-one has heard any music from. Like or dislike, debate/argue, I don't care, but base it on something you've heard, not on what you think it might sound like. No offence intended towards you, Hendo, just a general point.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »

Morning Mick.
Bands reach landmarks or do a tour and need a supporting album.
Albums don't make money , tours may and if you can sell an album at a gig.......
Sally Barker has made a new album before her support slot with Fairports cos it's how she'll fund the tour.
So of course Fairports need an album but who are they selling to? A new audience or the audience at Cropredy and their Winter tour gigs?
I have no probs with a live album . People do go up to a band after a gig and ask for songs they have just heard played but I would imagine Fairport fans would have a lot of the live stuff.
As I said , a band that has been going for fifty years , in many different entities is in a difficult place.
I seriously hope it is a stonking good album that I want to buy.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

I read people's recommendations of new stuff to listen to but if t/awhile becomes a site where people can't express an opinion without being called negative.......what is the point of it's existence?

Hear hear.  Last time I looked: "The board is moderated, but we don't censor peoples views, only really bad behavior, such as personal attacks."

For everybody that is put off by a little (almost always constructive) criticism of their beloved heroes, there is another person who's alienated by uncritical sycophantic praise.  Horses for courses.  It's a place for discussion.  That's what discussion means!  If you're 'not allowed to' discuss a new album (which includes speculating about it in advance following a press release) then there really is no point for it to exist.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »

Criticism of an existing product may sometimes be valid, but criticism of something that doesn't yet exist is just a wee bit over-enthusiastic IMHO.

^ This.  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 12:04:28 PM »

Crikey, I have rattled a few cages! Just my opinion - like everyone else. I've just observed that certain topics provoke a (fairly predictable) particular response. I don't want slavish anodyne adoration.....that's equally predictable. Let's get back on topic, eh?

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

Am I allowed to state that I hope that Fairport's new album is an improvement on the last 8 albums, because I found them safe, lacking energy and the self penned tracks a bit cliched. Though you cannot deny the ability of the musicians and quality of the vocals.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »

Am I allowed to state that I hope that Fairport's new album is an improvement on the last 8 albums, because I found them safe, lacking energy and the self penned tracks a bit cliched. Though you cannot deny the ability of the musicians and quality of the vocals.

At least you heard them first.  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

Criticism of an existing product may sometimes be valid, but criticism of something that doesn't yet exist is just a wee bit over-enthusiastic IMHO.

^ This.  Fez

It's not criticism, it's an expression of an opinion, which might be utter nonsense, but that's beside the point.  You'd need to delete virtually every thread on Talkawhile concerning any forthcoming product (gig or album).  It would rather negate the very purpose of the place exisiting, wouldn't it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »

All I said was that another new CD padded out with live versions of old favourites doesn't float my boat.
  It smacks of another rush job with not much thought having gone into it.
   I don't think it will sell to anybody but the faithful,  a dwinding number.
 I thought FC's set at Cropredy last year was the best they have done in some years, it was also the shortest, never mind the days of 4 Hour sets, the days of 3 hour sets with interesting guests seems to be gone.
   A pal of mine went to see FC live for the first time in 30 years. He enjoyed the first couple of numbers but said it started to get boring there was no change of pace and nothing to get excited about. Just 5 blokes doing what they do every time they go out onstage, like they worked on a factory line. He was hoping for a wee bit more than comfortable bonhomie, which is what the seem to trade in lately.
     There's nothing wrong with not being excited about a forthcoming CD by a band who haven't done anything exciting on record for nearly 30 years.
     I hadn't seen Steeleye for 35 years until! Cropredy last year, I was kind of dreading it but they were tremendous, full of life and rocking like nobody's business. That's how you grow old onstage.
   Next years Cropredy should be a glorious celebration of 50 years but I very the feeling already that the band are trying to lower expectations.
  I've already booked my hotel so I'll see you there, and we'll enjoy ourselves because we are all naturally friendly people in a friendly environment.

On another subject, I see FC are having the warm ups at Banbury labour club, which is a very good thing. The mill in august is a sweatbox. I preferred Woodford Halse but that was a mission to get to and from. The labour club did well with the Trad arr show last year.
   Isn't positivity nice.

BTW, during the early years/golden years of Talkawhile we used to have some "highly spirited" discussions about life, the universe and music of all sorts,there were regular fights in the arms car park.

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »

^ This.  Fez

It's not criticism, it's an expression of an opinion, which might be utter nonsense, but that's beside the point.  You'd need to delete virtually every thread on Talkawhile concerning any forthcoming product (gig or album).  It would rather negate the very purpose of the place exisiting, wouldn't it?

Although hugely tempting.

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »

It's not criticism, it's an expression of an opinion

"Criticism is the practice of judging the merits and faults of something."

That's odd, because that's what it sounded like.  Roll Eyes

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »

Sigh.  Why not just assume the best of what somebody else writes, even if you disagree with it?  Life's so much easier that way....  I simply do not comprehend the concept of a site for discussion which wants to stifle discussion.  How it can be somehow 'wrong' to speculate that the next Fairport album will be a disappointment to some is entirely beyond me.  I shall see some of you in London in May and we can all discuss who was right and who was wrong.  Nicely.

Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »

I think the difference in Steeleye and Fairport over the past 15 years or so is that Steeleye have changed and evolved their style across different albums and gone through heavyish phases, mellow folky phases etc etc to the new proggy sounding phase. Whereas Fairport have pretty much stuck to the same formula sound-wise (regardless of whether they are doing new material or revisiting older). I'd like to see them mix it up a bit more sound-wise I must admit.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

I think that's probably true.  Sadly (from my point of view) there are too many people too comfortable with the post-Maart cozy old Fairport that change isn't going to come unless (as with Steeleye) it is foisted upon them.  They'e evolved because they've had to...and, in general, it's been for the best.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »

Oh heck......I think you've proved the point.
I disagreed with you....you've all jumped on me to defend your right to an opinion.
Where's my right to an opinion?
Isn't that the point of a discussion board?

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »

Oh heck......I think you've proved the point.
I disagreed with you....you've all jumped on me to defend your right to an opinion.

I've read all of this thread and I saw nobody do that to you, Diane.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »

Talking about boring, when I saw Steeleye earlier this year my first thought after a couple of songs was: Oh dear not that boring Rock guitar again.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »

Sigh.  Why not just assume the best of what somebody else writes, even if you disagree with it?

That's a good mantra. You should try it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: