TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:57:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014, chatter, suggestions, speculation  (Read 99464 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: November 24, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

Well I've been asking somebody who's been to Cropredy for 17 years and is still under 30. She says what we need is 'Of Monsters and Men'. She's seen them twice this year and they were great.

Obviously if they are touring we need Katzenjammer.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

Nothing to get excited about for me so far.....

But then not sure we'll be going anyway.

Dave, I think everyone who goes to Cropredy goes through several stages. Mine were-
1. Cropredy fest is an essential part of the yr, to be looked forward to and planned for and attended with friends, up to 18, involving a host of traditions.
2. The fest changes, friends are lost and the line up of the fest becomes more important.
3. You could never imagine not going to Cropredy but you miss it once and it wasn't as painful as you thought.
4. You return, sometimes just to the fringe and now you pick and choose by lineup.
5. Retirement means you can buy that camper van and spend the yr flitting from fest to fest and Cropredy is no longer the main draw and you discover some fabby small fests where you can play and exhibit art.

Of course people can stay in any of these stages.
It took me over 28 yrs to work through them and we vacilate between  4 and 5
There is a real chance we will be at Cropredy this yr and for once I will ignore the line up. Huh

I'm due to retire in 12 years so "5" is still a long way off for me.....
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »

Double edged sword. Sheen and I would still like to have the energy we had in our 40's. (Addie don't!)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »

I like a more 'folkie' festival myself so the last few years at Cropredy have gone in a different direction musically for me. Weather dependency and the line up just don't appeal any longer. Having discovered Shrewsbury,( inside and seated for the old bones) with morris dancers and lots going on around the other tents plus a more 'folkier' edge that's the sort of festival I prefer these days. I used to go for the bar chatter and meet ups but the magic for me has long waned. I still love to see Fairport so catch them on the winter tour mostly.

Money also became a factor so it was wise for me to spend my cash visiting a different part of the country and new festivals, looking at Towersey next year, never been there  Tiara

For my money I go for the music and the bands I most wish to see and hopefully discover some new talent, not stuff that goes back 30 years. I think its hit an all time low...sorry folks!  Wink The last time I went was 5 years ago and during Fairport's set they had so many guests on I felt cheated!

If money wasn't a factor I would happily make it a very expensive weekend chat at the bar and a chance to catch up with all you fezz/tiara heads tho! I do miss that!  Tiara

JJ, Ely's a lovely small fest, 3 marquee venues, one v small and really interesting acts last yr , some established acts and some really good new stuff to 'discover'. e.g Fred's House. Beautifully run, good camping, showers in rugby and football clubs,  etc
It used to be in the town by the river but it moved to a self contained site at the rugby ground. Lots going on on the site and in town, morris etc with a regular shuttle bus from site to town. Less than 5 mins.
......and if you want something really small come and join us at Festival at the Edge, Shropshire Have a look, it's lovely in a great setting on Wenlock Edge. Although principally a story telling fest  there is a music marquee and the music last yr was fabby , including, Lucy Ward, Roving Crows, Pilgrims Way, Red Shoes. Huge camping area loads of room and a lovely , 'village area', real ale bar etc, Really friendly, 1500 people, fest.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »

Well I've been asking somebody who's been to Cropredy for 17 years and is still under 30. She says what we need is 'Of Monsters and Men'. She's seen them twice this year and they were great.

I'd voter for that.

Looking forward to Marillion, interested in AS, not interested in C&D.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »

I saw Chas and dave at cambridge FF in the early eighties, they have been a guilty pleasure ever since. Fantastic musicians and a great act, they will go down a treat at Cropredy.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »

Each to their own I suppose.

If you just go for the music then I reckon who's on matters loads.

For me its breakfast at the school, the walk over the bridges after the days events. Sitting in the Brasenose garden, or playing sardines if Letherat are on. The Walk along the canal path. Goan Fish Curry, (once a year treat), wearing a hat (another once a year treat , and I don't care there all laughing). Not having to be in charge and make decisions(another once a year treat).

We know the bands will all be good , sometimes not our cup of tea though, but we know that on Saturday evening it will end well with fairports.

No , for me the only factor between a great Cropredy and a good one is the weather , and to me that's as important as which of the 20 odd bands hits the spot.

Ah stage 1.
I had about 18 yrs in that stage! (Goan fish curry didn't exist, never missed a band on main stage so Brase was only Thurs evening, when a 2 day fest, always cooked own b/fast for 18 and I always wear the hat! bought Cropredy '93....apart from that........ Grin)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

I'd vote for that.

Yes, me too. That might be a game changer for me. I love their album.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

I'd vote for that.

Yes, me too. That might be a game changer for me. I love their album.

Another vote from me - saw them earlier this year in Bournemouth, they'd be a great festival band.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »

Merry Hell please.
Saw them again last night . Wonderful.
We've actually taken things into our own hands and will be booking them ourselves . Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »

I rather enjoy the line ups being announced, The chaps always seem to get it mostly right.
You guys are still gonna moan about it though no matter who is announced.  Wink Grin
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

I was at Kneb as a boy on the same day.  I didn't quite sleep through but didn't take a lot of notice of the band who opened.  I understand they slit up shortly after.  My mate said I wouldn't like them so didn't take much notice, silly me.  Southside Johnny was good but not Commander Cody.

In that case you were there on the 4th August (as was I) and not the 11th. The opening band that split up shortly after only appeared on the 4th.

Sorry for being the Date Police!  Grin
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

Merry Hell please.
We've actually taken things into our own hands and will be booking them ourselves . Grin
I shall be checking these out on YouTube tonight - I've heard lots about them  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »

I'd have thought Marillion's main problem at Cropredy will be that their normal audience is a very committed very knowledgeable one.  How they'll cope a) in a field and b) with an audience who very largely don't know their product or do, but only what they made 30 years ago aren't aware they don't play most of that any more will be interesting.

Don't think this will be a problem. Saw Marillion at a free festival in Richmond in 2002. They were in a field playing to an audience that only knew Kayleigh, and I still rate it as one of the finest performances I seen from them.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »

I'd have thought Marillion's main problem at Cropredy will be that their normal audience is a very committed very knowledgeable one.  How they'll cope a) in a field and b) with an audience who very largely don't know their product or do, but only what they made 30 years ago aren't aware they don't play most of that any more will be interesting.

Don't think this will be a problem. Saw Marillion at a free festival in Richmond in 2002. They were in a field playing to an audience that only knew Kayleigh, and I still rate it as one of the finest performances I seen from them.

That's good to hear  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »

I saw them at Glastonbury in 1983, and remember thinking them tedious beyond measure. But different folks have different tastes, of course.

Indeed and that is exactly why you should at least listen to the band playing at Cropredy (who will have been together for a quarter of a century next year) as they have virtually nothing in common (apart from personnel) to the one featuring Fish (which lasted about a quarter of that duration) that preceded it.

So, am I right in thinking that Marillion are actually Genesis-in-reverse in the sense that their 'Gabriel-era' output is now deemed a tad outmoded while their 'Collins-era' stuff is considered quite good?  Huh

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Merry Hell please.
I shall be checking these out on YouTube tonight - I've heard lots about them  Smiley

Was rather dissapointed when I saw Merry Hell at the GBFF couple of years ago.  Undecided

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

Merry Hell please.

Was rather dissapointed when I saw Merry Hell at the GBFF couple of years ago.  Undecided

Was that their first or second appearance. First time out they were outstanding but the following year they were badly let down by the sound and were clearly rattled by it.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »

I have seen Merry Hell twice at Wickham, and they have been excellent both times.

Paul

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »

There are lots of things about Merry Hell that I don't like: the co-ordinated clothes, the cheesy "we're raising merry hell" singing at the start and end of the set, the songs, singing and playing being no better than average.  But somehow live they mamage to transcend all of that and I've always enjoyed them whenever I've seen them.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: