TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:23:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830771 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1980 on: November 27, 2023, 09:32:22 AM »

Ozric tentacles and Gong in Gloucester on Saturday. Ozrics were pretty good, and Gong were very good, having moved away from the overtly pothead pixie era while keeping Daevid's vision alive. Properly progressive  psychedelic rock. If anyone ever decides to make a film about Syd Barrett, Kavus Torabi would be ideal to portray Syd in performance.

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1981 on: November 27, 2023, 09:25:07 PM »

I agree about the Syd movie. I told him that when I spoke to him at New Day fest, although I suspect he may have heard it before, once or twice.

Well I never did..
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1982 on: November 30, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »

Ozric tentacles and Gong in Gloucester on Saturday. Ozrics were pretty good, and Gong were very good, having moved away from the overtly pothead pixie era while keeping Daevid's vision alive. Properly progressive  psychedelic rock. If anyone ever decides to make a film about Syd Barrett, Kavus Torabi would be ideal to portray Syd in performance.

I meant to put something here after seeing them at the Forum Kentish Town a couple of weeks ago. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, made even more so by having the Crazy World of Arthur Brown as the support. He did an hour with full lights & stage show so we certainly got value for money. I saw Gong earlier in the year acting as the Steve Hillage Band so good to see them doing their own stuff. I did fleeting wonder about how one of the three bands might go down at Cropredy!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1983 on: December 01, 2023, 12:31:14 AM »

It's 4 decades since I last saw Steve Hillage. It would be great to see him at Croppers.

"Oh me oh my, there's a light in the sky!"

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1984 on: December 01, 2023, 02:54:45 PM »

I have them in my diary for March 9th Marine Theatre in Lyme Regis - Last time I saw Gong was a couple of years before Daevid and Gilli died  - fantastic gig with Steve Hillage really giving it some welly - classic Gong! I am looking forward to seeing the new iteration live.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1985 on: December 01, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »

I have them in my diary for March 9th Marine Theatre in Lyme Regis - Last time I saw Gong was a couple of years before Daevid and Gilli died  - fantastic gig with Steve Hillage really giving it some welly - classic Gong! I am looking forward to seeing the new iteration live.

I just don't get the new Gong at all.  They leave me cold.  But they do a mighty fine Steve Hillage Band.  Go figure...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1986 on: December 02, 2023, 09:56:47 AM »

Australian Pink Floyd at Blackpool Opera House. Missed them at Cropredy so delighted to catch up with them. DSOTM anniversary tour so they played it to start the show (saw the original 49 years ago this week). Then a set of classic Floyd, 2 1/2 hours in total, including most of my favourites. If we can’t see the original Floyd, this will do very nicely. A great evening and I will long remember the giant inflatable kangaroo dancing to One of These Days!
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1987 on: December 02, 2023, 12:39:30 PM »

I just don't get the new Gong at all.  They leave me cold.  But they do a mighty fine Steve Hillage Band.  Go figure...

It proves the importance of Daevids. Or even Davids.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1988 on: December 02, 2023, 02:45:12 PM »

It proves the importance of Daevids. Or even Davids.

I can enjoy Paragong, Mothergong, and Pierre's Gong etc so I don't need Daevid there for its innate Gong-ness to be present but this (and yes, I know Daevid's wishes) just doesn't get there for me.  Some Gongs with Daevid (NY Gong?) sound less Gong-y but still work for me.  I dunno.  It's just a leap too far for this David.  More drugs required, no doubt.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1989 on: December 02, 2023, 03:46:23 PM »

Gong would be way, way down on my list of favourite bands, yet seeing them live - with Daevid & Gilli - would definitely fit in my personal top ten of all-time great gigs. I can't imagine the same magic being there without them.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1990 on: December 02, 2023, 04:45:44 PM »

I guess for me, if it's called anything else than simply Gong, I don't compare it to the mother ship (or is it mother pot ?), and see it as part of the family.

If it's just Gong, it needs the main man.

I do enjoy the Om Riff played by the current band however, just as I love to play it myself.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1991 on: December 02, 2023, 04:55:59 PM »

I guess for me, if it's called anything else than simply Gong, I don't compare it to the mother ship (or is it mother pot ?), and see it as part of the family.

If it's just Gong, it needs the main man.

I do enjoy the Om Riff played by the current band however, just as I love to play it myself.

I think that's a very good point.  If they were called 21st Century Gong or Cardiacs Gong or Kavus Gong I'd probably like them a whole lot more....

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1992 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:51 PM »

Two gigs in a row!

Rusty Shackle, in a very well-to-do village hall with tiered seating, which was abandoned after the first couple of songs and after the bar ran out of beer. Excellent stuff.

Then this evening, saw my guitar teacher's 80's covers band, Fondue*, at the local brewery. Also excellent stuff.

Cheers

Nick

*very specifically, 80's cheese**.

**in terms of 80s music, the cheesy stuff stopped in 1986. Fondue have no songs in their repertoire after that year. Discuss...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1993 on: December 03, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »

Two gigs in a row!

Rusty Shackle, in a very well-to-do village hall with tiered seating, which was abandoned after the first couple of songs and after the bar ran out of beer. Excellent stuff.

Then this evening, saw my guitar teacher's 80's covers band, Fondue*, at the local brewery. Also excellent stuff.

Cheers

Nick

**in terms of 80s music, the cheesy stuff stopped in 1986. Fondue have no songs in their repertoire after that year. Discuss...

The gig was abandoned?  Or just the seating?!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1994 on: December 03, 2023, 07:24:52 PM »

Two gigs in a row!

Cheers

Nick

The gig was abandoned?  Or just the seating?!

Hah! I really shouldn't write stuff on the bus back from the brewery...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1995 on: December 06, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »

Lanterns on the Lake in Manchester last night, with Phil Selway from Radiohead on drums. Not sure if he is a permanent fixture or just guesting for one album/tour. Really enjoyed them, and also Sophie Jamieson who was supporting.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1996 on: December 06, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »

Lanterns on the Lake in Manchester last night, with Phil Selway from Radiohead on drums. Not sure if he is a permanent fixture or just guesting for one album/tour. Really enjoyed them, and also Sophie Jamieson who was supporting.

Saw them in Leeds last month Excellent show. Love the two drummer approach. Worked really well. Our support was a fellow who records under the name, Colouring. Again, very good.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1997 on: December 08, 2023, 11:02:00 AM »

The Furrow Collective at Liverpool Phil on Wednesday night. Down to 3 members as Rachel Newton is on maternity leave but they were as beautiful as ever. A really atmospheric concert.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1998 on: December 08, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »

The Furrow Collective at Liverpool Phil on Wednesday night. Down to 3 members as Rachel Newton is on maternity leave but they were as beautiful as ever. A really atmospheric concert.

The small venue presumably?  If I'd been around I'd have gone.  I hope they got a crowd?  Latest album is immense

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1999 on: December 08, 2023, 12:05:04 PM »

The small venue presumably?  If I'd been around I'd have gone.  I hope they got a crowd?  Latest album is immense

Yes - the Music Room. It was about three quarters full - it was set out 7 rows of 12 seats. A bit of a disappointing turn out really. I bought the album at the gig.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: