TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:00:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830700 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1960 on: November 06, 2023, 04:06:09 PM »

The Bert Jansch ‘80th Birthday’ tribute concert at the Festival Hall on Saturday.
A wonderful evening with a superb line-up: Robert Plant, Bernard Butler, Martin Simpson, Jacqui McShee, Sam Lee, and many more…
Stewart Lee was on fine form as the compere

JohnP69

« Reply #1961 on: November 07, 2023, 04:25:59 PM »

Soft Machine at Hull Wrecking Ball Arts Centre on Sunday.

Great selection of tunes from their entire career.

Well worth checking out!!
Peter Allen

« Reply #1962 on: November 08, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »

Great venue too , The Wrecking Ball Arts Centre in Hull
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1963 on: November 08, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »

Soft Machine at Hull Wrecking Ball Arts Centre on Sunday.

Great selection of tunes from their entire career.

Well worth checking out!!

Great to see there's a version of Soft Machine still out there performing.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1964 on: November 09, 2023, 09:44:41 AM »

Soft Machine's current bassist is honorary FC alumnus Fred Thelonious Baker, who's played with Ric Sanders and Vikki Clayton, and can be regularly seen at the Cropredy bar.
JohnP69

« Reply #1965 on: November 10, 2023, 06:17:34 AM »

Great venue too , The Wrecking Ball Arts Centre in Hull

It is.
First time I've seen a gig there.
Perfect for The Softs.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1966 on: November 10, 2023, 09:04:57 AM »

Peter Knight's Gigspanner Big Band performing Saltlines with Raynor Winn. A musically moving evening of poetry and prose plus a new take on some familiar songs inspired by Raynor's book throughout the seasons from the South West Coastal path. Trust me it is mesmerising and totally draws you in!

https://www.gigspanner.com/saltlines

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1967 on: November 10, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »

Martyn Joseph last night at The Plough, Great Torrington. First night of his new tour, so we got some new songs - the first outing for some from his new album, due out in January, and even a couple that I think may be even newer - a very moving song that's obviously inspired by events in Gaza at the moment, and another (dedicated rather tongue in cheek to our current Home Secretary) about Syrian refugees resettled in Wales.  We also got some of the older favourites, including one suggested on the night, and another which just came to him as he played another one.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Peter Allen

« Reply #1968 on: November 13, 2023, 11:02:26 AM »

Met Simple Minds bassist Derek Forbes at a book signing / chat event last night in Hull
Derek confirmed his admiration for Macca as a bass player and all things Beatle
Also told some great stories about touring in the 80's , which is the main topic of his book
Close friend of Hull's own Mick Ronson and was there at Ronno's passing

Proper dedicated signature with a 1,2,3,4 Kick ! due to me prefering Propoganda to Simple Minds , which he laughed at me for
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1969 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:49 PM »

Drum clinic with Dave Mattacks - ‘The Talking Dog’ - his words.  Grin Mainly about cymbals, tuning and the joy of a ringing tom, but a couple of asides about what he learned from John Bonham and what Fairport taught him about the power of the song. A genuinely lovely chap, generous with his time and talent.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1970 on: November 14, 2023, 11:49:34 AM »

Not the typical genre for this forum, but we recently saw Holly Johnson and what a great gig it was! Completely surpassed our expectation. The man still has his voice and a wonderful, warm engagement with the audience. The band was superb. The crowd spent most of the concert on its feet bopping away and I full on cried and smiled all night with the nostalgic memories from my sixth form days. He performed hits from Frankie Goes to Hollywood and from his own back catalogue. It was a rare occasion where even songs we didn't know were fantastic and enjoyable.

The support slot for half an hour preceding, was a liverpudlian guy, Matt MacManoman, one man, one guitar.. Formerly of The Dead 60s and  had played with The Specials he was fantastic too, I could imagine him at Cropredy in a chilled afternoon slot.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1971 on: November 14, 2023, 05:35:23 PM »

Matt Macmanamon, when I investigated further, went to my old school!  

I had a quick listen to some of his "Scally Folk" album on bandcamp - and yes, I could picture him at Cropredy.  (Perhaps I could heckle him to play our school song...)

Flobbadob!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1972 on: November 14, 2023, 06:18:36 PM »

Matt Macmanamon, when I investigated further, went to my old school!  

I had a quick listen to some of his "Scally Folk" album on bandcamp - and yes, I could picture him at Cropredy.  (Perhaps I could heckle him to play our school song...)

Ha ha oops apologies for my spelling of his surname,was typing on my phone, that’s my excuse.

Yep would definitely fit in!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1973 on: November 14, 2023, 07:46:01 PM »

Peter Frampton, last night, ACL Live, Austin!

PF sits for the entire show now, but he still plays guitar like nobody's business. He's also a great entertainer and storyteller, with a cheeky sense of humor and genuine rapport with his band.

For those of you hoping to hear "I'm in You," "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," or anything from the "Sgt. Pepper's" soundtrack, I'm sorry to disappoint you. For those hoping to hear "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and an instrumental version of "Black Hole Sun," you're in luck. Highly recommend.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1974 on: November 15, 2023, 11:49:36 AM »

That sounds wonderful, John from Austin.

I learn so much on this forum, as prior to discussions about him on here, all I had remembered were posters in Jackie magazine and that famous chart hit! But there is so much more.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1975 on: November 16, 2023, 11:06:57 AM »

Interesting show last night - Far From Saints, a relatively new band fronted by Kelly Jones from Stereophonics, playing country / Americana. Really enjoyed them, great guitar playing and 3 singers, singing both solo and in harmony. Think they're a bit light on material as they played 6 or 7 covers. Worth catching.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1976 on: November 19, 2023, 04:23:48 PM »

Dr Feelgood supported by Wreckless Eric last night at Gloucester Guildhall

The latest incarnation of the Feelgoods were pretty good, though singer Robert Kane's pitching here & there was a bit hit & miss - throat problems? - and he was a bit shouty, rather than "singy"; but instrumentally very good, especially the guitarist on a couple of slow blues numbers.  

As for Eric - well, idiosyncratic is possibly the best way to describe his set - 3 or 4 good songs, then a couple of self-indulgent (I thought) guitar/effects wig-outs, the  a couple more songs to finish - including Whole Wide World

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1977 on: November 22, 2023, 10:06:13 AM »

Smoke Fairies at The Square Tower Portsmouth last night.
Excellent gig in one of my favourite small venues.
There were times when the instrumentation was a little too loud and drowned the exquisite harmonies, but generally they were great.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1978 on: November 24, 2023, 10:52:47 AM »

The uniformly excellent Leisure Society at Hare and Hounds in Brum on Wednesday.

Fronted by Novello award winner Nick Hemming their erudite song writing and folk tinged pop / rock places them as one of my favourite bands of the past decade or so.

Check out one of their videos here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=leisure+society&&mid=49995E74D7344DDF3D9549995E74D7344DDF3D95&&FORM=VRDGAR

DW

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1979 on: November 25, 2023, 08:48:29 AM »

Smoke Fairies at The Square Tower Portsmouth last night.
Excellent gig in one of my favourite small venues.
There were times when the instrumentation was a little too loud and drowned the exquisite harmonies, but generally they were great.

That was what I noticed the one and only time I saw them. The vocals were drowned by the guitars and bass. I'm afraid it spoiled it for me.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: