TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:59:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830157 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1940 on: October 04, 2023, 10:13:48 AM »

Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell style) were very good last night at St George's, Bristol. I wouldn't normally have gone so far to see them (a 2 hour drive each way), but I missed seeing them on Friday (my birthday) in Exeter due to a family wedding the next day, and a friend who wanted to come with me suggested the Bristol gig, and was prepared to do the driving.  They played the whole of the Live Dates album (50 years old this year), but it wasn't just a slavish recreation of the original.  Definitely recommended, though I think there are only a couple of dates left on this tour in the UK.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1941 on: October 04, 2023, 04:14:20 PM »

Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell style) were very good last night at St George's, Bristol. I wouldn't normally have gone so far to see them (a 2 hour drive each way), but I missed seeing them on Friday (my birthday) in Exeter due to a family wedding the next day, and a friend who wanted to come with me suggested the Bristol gig, and was prepared to do the driving.  They played the whole of the Live Dates album (50 years old this year), but it wasn't just a slavish recreation of the original.  Definitely recommended, though I think there are only a couple of dates left on this tour in the UK.

I enjoy Andy's Wishbone Ash, but I'm really hoping Martin Turner makes another run of shows in the U.S. I passed up an opportunity to see him some years ago at a club in suburban Chicago and he doesn't seem to come over here with any regularity.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1942 on: October 07, 2023, 10:24:45 AM »

Wednesday at Hebden Bridge Trades Club I went to see Polly Paulusma and Kathryn Williams. They both performed 40 - 45 minute solo sets mainly acoustic guitar and vocal
With the odd piano backed track and Kathryn also doing a vocal looped number. The night ended with Polly joining Kathryn on stage to duet on 3 tracks. It is the first time I have managed to see Polly live and I have only seen Kathryn Williams as part of a womenfolk night some years ago. These are both artists I started following at the start of their careers and both sets were brilliant covering song from their back catalogues along with recent releases and some tracks from upcoming projects. Both were so relaxed on stage and with the audience with the warmth and joy they projected from the stage and there love and appreciation of performing for a live audience, and this following Kathryn being taken to hospital earlier in the tour. The other aspect was the respect they have for each other and their friendship. Bother have very much their own style and are vocally different but the strength of the songwriting links them. Polly recent Angela Carter theme folk project showed someone with a real understanding of traditional music and Kathryn’s album produced by Ed Harcourt someone whose song work fantastically in a range of contexts. It was also an added bonus to discover that they are not just artists I have respect for but are also love ly people. If you get the chance, as I think there are dates remaining, go and see them it really was a special night, even if I didn’t get home until half one in the morning. Great venue for the second time in 30 years!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1943 on: October 11, 2023, 06:58:00 PM »

Jakob Dylan and the Wallflowers, last night, Paramount Theater, Austin!

This was a great show. Jakob is a very charismatic and warm performer (unlike his aloof paterfamilias). In addition to terrific originals, he played creditable covers of "Into the Mystic," "Wild World," "Refugee" and "American Girl."

Mid-way through the show a drunk and/or disturbed fellow started to walk onto the stage, but a stagehand waved him off. Before and after this incident, the same guy was running around in front of the stage and filming the show with his phone, which Jakob repeatedly asked him to stop doing. An unpleasant vibe in an otherwise pleasant outing.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1944 on: October 11, 2023, 08:07:41 PM »

Jakob Dylan and the Wallflowers, last night, Paramount Theater, Austin!

This was a great show. Jakob is a very charismatic and warm performer (unlike his aloof paterfamilias). In addition to terrific originals, he played creditable covers of "Into the Mystic," "Wild World," "Refugee" and "American Girl."

Mid-way through the show a drunk and/or disturbed fellow started to walk onto the stage, but a stagehand waved him off. Before and after this incident, the same guy was running around in front of the stage and filming the show with his phone, which Jakob repeatedly asked him to stop doing. An unpleasant vibe in an otherwise pleasant outing.

Not said proudly, but I really don't think I've ever heard a single note Jakob has produced.  Amazingly he's now the same age his Dad was in 1994.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1945 on: October 13, 2023, 04:27:53 PM »

The Waterboys at Liverpool Phil on Wednesday. Superb. The last two or three times I've seen them there was a very noticeable Steve Wickham-sized hole in the band but for the first time since his departure I didn't miss him at all, they seem to have moved on and consolidated the new trimmed-down line-up. Two and a quarter hours over two sets allowed a good number of recent songs alongside the expected oldies. My Travels in the Weary Land and Piper at the Gates of Dawn were highlights along with a storming, extended The Pan Within.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1946 on: October 13, 2023, 04:36:37 PM »

I saw Richard Digence at Dorking folk club last week - first time I've seen him in 45 years. Still a good performer, and a much better guitarist than I remembered
Dorking FC has Bob Fox on next week then Chris Leslie playing a rare solo gig on Nov 17th. I shall try to catch both.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1947 on: October 15, 2023, 02:20:12 PM »

Justin Hayward last night here in NYC at the NY Society For Ethical Culture. He was in great form, told some great stories, and was enjoying himself. My goodness but Mike Dawes is incredible. I knew his reputation as a player but seeing him live was fantastic. Mostly Moody Blues songs with some newer ones sprinkled in. His new song was beautiful. Standout songs were The Actor, Forever Autumn, Never Comes The Day, and Tuesday Afternoon. The only one that didn’t quite work was the closer-I Know You’re Out There Somewhere. The arrangement was a little clunky and needed more of that chimey keyboard to it. Crowd was a bit too sedate for my liking and my girlfriend noticed that lol but still…good to see him

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1948 on: October 15, 2023, 09:27:25 PM »

Bonnie Raitt, ACL Live, last night!

This was essentially a dress rehearsal for today's taping of Austin City Limits, and was the last show of Bonnie's 2-year tour. She was in great voice and spirits, and said repeatedly that she didn't want to leave the road to go "grocery shopping" at home. She mentioned today's taping and said she hoped they would give her a big microphone to cover her face, as she does not like appearing on television "at this age." She also mentioned she's going to be the "surprise" guest (oops) at a benefit show at Antone's later this week, for local bass player Sarah Brown. I won't attempt to attend that show; Antone's doesn't hold more than 150 people and I am slightly claustrophobic.

She said she's hitting the road again next year for 5 months. If she comes over there, don't pass up the opportunity. They say the road goes on forever, but everyone steps away eventually.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1949 on: October 16, 2023, 07:45:59 AM »

Cara Dillon at the Music Room in the Phil in Liverpool. Really nice concert - she has the most beautiful voice. She played most of her forthcoming album which mixes spoken word with singing. Out next year, but copies were on sale at the gig.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1950 on: October 16, 2023, 07:39:34 PM »

Cara Dillon at the Music Room in the Phil in Liverpool. Really nice concert - she has the most beautiful voice. She played most of her forthcoming album which mixes spoken word with singing. Out next year, but copies were on sale at the gig.

That sounds really interesting and a bit different to the usual music she makes. We got a preview of some of her poetry at Sidmouth Festival and she showed that she is a capable and interesting writer. Must look at the gig listings.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1951 on: October 18, 2023, 09:25:25 AM »

Kristin Hersh at a small local venue.

I practically collided with Kristin Hersh as I opened the door to the performing space.  I'd been at the front of the queue outside so was one of the first in. She must have been sound checking. I couldn't for the life of me think of anything to say so just said 'oh hello, nice to see you' and she smiled and I think said hello back. True to that thing about famous people being smaller than one expects, she was tiny, but quite pretty, with a nice smile. Am I allowed to say that?  Yes I am, because I love her music almost without reservation.  I bought her solo debut nearly 30 years ago and have nearly everything she's recorded since.

The concert ?    I'm not usually a front row person but this time I was right there front and centre. It was spellbinding. Herself and a gentleman playing cello, and it was perfect.  No need for ear protection,  sound balance good, everything sounding better in the second half, after the interval.  Just long enough, and a short bus ride home.  And it's my birthday on Friday.   Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1952 on: October 18, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »

I practically collided with Kristin Hersh as I opened the door to the performing space.  I'd been at the front of the queue outside so was one of the first in. She must have been sound checking. I couldn't for the life of me think of anything to say so just said 'oh hello, nice to see you' and she smiled and I think said hello back. True to that thing about famous people being smaller than one expects, she was tiny, but quite pretty, with a nice smile. Am I allowed to say that?  Yes I am, because I love her music almost without reservation.  I bought her solo debut nearly 30 years ago and have nearly everything she's recorded since.

The concert ?    I'm not usually a front row person but this time I was right there front and centre. It was spellbinding. Herself and a gentleman playing cello, and it was perfect.  No need for ear protection,  sound balance good, everything sounding better in the second half, after the interval.  Just long enough, and a short bus ride home.  And it's my birthday on Friday.   Smiley

That all sounds tip top for a celebratory gig..Happy Birthday to you!  "tiny, but quite pretty, with a nice smile" - t-shirts and dating profiles should be produced...  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1953 on: October 18, 2023, 01:00:01 PM »

That all sounds tip top for a celebratory gig..Happy Birthday to you!  "tiny, but quite pretty, with a nice smile" - t-shirts and dating profiles should be produced...  Wink Smiley

Grin
 Smiley Cheesy
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1954 on: October 20, 2023, 10:43:49 AM »

Justin Hayward last night here in NYC at the NY Society For Ethical Culture. He was in great form, told some great stories, and was enjoying himself. My goodness but Mike Dawes is incredible. I knew his reputation as a player but seeing him live was fantastic. Mostly Moody Blues songs with some newer ones sprinkled in. His new song was beautiful. Standout songs were The Actor, Forever Autumn, Never Comes The Day, and Tuesday Afternoon. The only one that didn’t quite work was the closer-I Know You’re Out There Somewhere. The arrangement was a little clunky and needed more of that chimey keyboard to it. Crowd was a bit too sedate for my liking and my girlfriend noticed that lol but still…good to see him

I'm booked to see Justin Hayward in Swansea next March. Looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, I saw a little up and coming combo called Fairport Convention last night, at the Acapela in Pentyrch, near Cardiff. Excellent evening's entertainment and I'm pleased to say that Ric's jokes are still as bad as ever.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1955 on: October 24, 2023, 10:34:44 AM »

Well, David, I finally got to that Jacqui McShee & Kevin Dempsey gig, so I can answer your question about Dando Shaft. It was an excellent gig, drawing mainly on the huge wealth of Pentangle / Bert & John material, with the odd curve-ball such as "Nature Boy" and a European Union protest song. Then Kevin started talking about Dando Shaft and the excellence of Polly Bolton's singing. He said that he overheard her singing a folk-song called "Near Woodstock Town", and pre-Internet, went to enormous lengths to track down the manuscript, only to find that it was "rubbish".  So, it turned out to be a shaggy dog story and we never did get to hear any Dando material, even though at the end of the evening the MC urged the audience to track down DS material "as there has never been anyone else like them before or since".  Ironically, I have just heard an acoustic guitar version of "Near Woodstock Town" on YouTube and IMO it is far from "rubbish"  Undecided
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1956 on: October 24, 2023, 11:08:19 AM »

Well, David, I finally got to that Jacqui McShee & Kevin Dempsey gig, so I can answer your question about Dando Shaft. It was an excellent gig, drawing mainly on the huge wealth of Pentangle / Bert & John material, with the odd curve-ball such as "Nature Boy" and a European Union protest song. Then Kevin started talking about Dando Shaft and the excellence of Polly Bolton's singing. He said that he overheard her singing a folk-song called "Near Woodstock Town", and pre-Internet, went to enormous lengths to track down the manuscript, only to find that it was "rubbish".  So, it turned out to be a shaggy dog story and we never did get to hear any Dando material, even though at the end of the evening the MC urged the audience to track down DS material "as there has never been anyone else like them before or since".  Ironically, I have just heard an acoustic guitar version of "Near Woodstock Town" on YouTube and IMO it is far from "rubbish"  Undecided

Wow...fascinating.  Thanks for the update Smiley

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1957 on: October 24, 2023, 11:25:55 AM »

He told the same story when I saw him recently.  I think it was the original version of the song as printed in the book, which took him years to track down, and cost him an arm and a leg, that he described as 'rubbish'!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1958 on: November 03, 2023, 08:18:58 PM »

Last night we saw the great Eddie Izzard at the Paramount Theater in Austin!

Absolute genius.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1959 on: November 04, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »

3 vg local-ish gigs recently: I saw Demi Marriner and band ,Americana from up North, very May Chapin-Carpenter-ish, at the Tuesday Night Music Club in Coulsdon (usually  a blues/rock place, but she sold out anyway.
Then at St Edith's Folk Club near  Sevenoaks   we saw Canadian singer-songwriter Lynn Hansen and ace guitarist sidekick. VG, well worth checking out. And best of all, the Track Dogs at St Edith last night. Not just good, sensational! They were rapture received by a full house.
So many small venues have closed in the last decade, it's great to see a couple doing really well.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: