TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830651 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1920 on: July 18, 2023, 11:53:40 PM »

The Sam Chase in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich. Somewhere between John Prine, David Gray and Bruce Springsteen, with a storytelling style and reflections on mortality, morality and stupidity, Sam’s San Francisco resonator is backed by violin and cello, which makes for a change from the usual troubadour with an acoustic guitar approach. Absolutely cracking night out. He’s around for the next week or so, so if you’re near Sheffield, Surbiton, Brighton, Liverpool or Kelvedon, take a punt - you won’t regret it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1921 on: July 23, 2023, 12:10:43 AM »

Just back from a double header of Trilogy and Solstice. Trilogy are, for all their protestations, likely to appeal to fans of Canadian three-piece prog rock exponents and seemed wistful for the days when they had drum risers, walls of Marshalls and a road crew, but acquitted themselves very well. Solstice are clearly looking forward to Cropredy and, as a first-timer, surprisingly funky. Plenty for the avid frot fretter to get their teeth into, and a wide range of material from their very earliest cassette-only demos to a new song as yet untitled. Should make for an enjoyable afternoon slot.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PJayBe

« Reply #1922 on: July 23, 2023, 10:03:32 AM »

Ian Prowse (4 piece acoustic band) and Ian Prowse (full Amsterdam line up) over the last two nights in Liverpool.  As ever with Prowsey my soul if uplifted and my heart is filled with joy (and I have no voice and my feet ache.....).  Cracking shows.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1923 on: August 08, 2023, 04:28:13 PM »

Kenny Loggins, at the Moody Amphitheater, Austin, last Saturday! He calls this tour "This is It: The Final Tour." I am pleased to say he remains in strong voice, and the songs really stand the test of time.

Even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you, Honey...
JohnP69

« Reply #1924 on: September 06, 2023, 08:15:07 AM »

The George Harrison Project at the Plowright Theatre in Scunthorpe last Friday.

Great show showcasing George's songs all the way from The Beatles through to The Wilburys.

Played some deep cuts (I Don't Want To Do It, Cheer Down) and even a two song ukelele interlude.

Well worth checking out if they're playing near you.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1925 on: September 06, 2023, 08:25:50 AM »

The George Harrison Project at the Plowright Theatre in Scunthorpe last Friday.

Great show showcasing George's songs all the way from The Beatles through to The Wilburys.

Played some deep cuts (I Don't Want To Do It, Cheer Down) and even a two song ukelele interlude.

Well worth checking out if they're playing near you.

Seems to be a popular tribute gig to put on as I see there's someone else touring doing the exact same thing. This guy is playing in Settle in November.

The Phenomenal Nick Bold brings his love and passion for George Harrison to the stage in,
 'GEORGE! THE CONCERT,'

The George Harrison Project sounds a bit more tasteful tbh.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1926 on: September 10, 2023, 11:40:31 PM »

Wishbone Ash at the Lowther Pavilion, Lytham. Playing Live Dates in full so effectively a Best Of concert. Very good evening
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #1927 on: September 11, 2023, 11:00:03 AM »

Last friday I saw Wishbone Ash at the HMV Empire in Coventry - fabulous gig, and the sound in the venue was excellent - I saw them last year in Leamington, which was OK, but the sound not so good.

Walking distance as well!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1928 on: September 11, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

Sounds good. Seeing them in about three weeks.

Lifesigns at the Old Bakery Studios in Truro on Friday night were excellent.  Can't believe they are still playing venues that small though, but despite that the sound was excellent.  Supported by Ebony Buckle, last seen as one of Solstice's backing singers at Cropredy.  She was very good too, and I'll be checking out her album when I get back from holiday.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1929 on: September 15, 2023, 12:08:24 PM »

(Moved from Upcoming Gigs as it's now happened...)

Seeing Stornoway in about 5 minutes...

A tiny gig at the Bullingdon in Oxford to launch the new album.

I introduced them onstage at Cornbury Festival one year. That was a strange time.

Cheers

Nick

How was it?  I'm going to a couple of gigs in Oct

They sounded like they were really happy to be playing again.

This was a slightly strange gig. They have a long sold-out 'proper' show coming up in Oxford Town Hall in October. Tuesday's show was originally intended to be an album launch at Truck Records across the road. They were going to play an unplugged acoustic set, but things got a bit bigger than that, and I guess they realised Truck would be overwhelmed. So at short notice they grabbed The Bullingdon for a sort-of secret show. I've seen a lot of shows at the Bully with varying sized crowds (capacity is ~300 I think). This was the most packed I've ever seen it.

Abiding memory of the gig is that everyone, band and fans, was having a whale of a time. They played mostly as a five-piece, amplified, but fitted in a handful of entirely acoustic pieces - no mics, no amps, no aircon as that was louder than they were! - with the audience mouthing but not singing the words so that the people at the back could still hear.

A mix of new, old and very old songs. Best moment was when Brian realised they were about to play Zorbing; "a song written about living on Cowley Road, now being played on Cowley Road".

They were always a really happy band and they look and sound like they're very happy to have the chance to play again.

Cheers

Nick

* Stornoway Bullingdon 2023.jpg (284.88 KB, 800x450 - viewed 510 times.)

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1930 on: September 15, 2023, 12:11:45 PM »

(Moved from Upcoming Gigs as it's now happened...)

Seeing Stornoway in about 5 minutes...

A tiny gig at the Bullingdon in Oxford to launch the new album.

I introduced them onstage at Cornbury Festival one year. That was a strange time.

Cheers

Nick

How was it?  I'm going to a couple of gigs in Oct

They sounded like they were really happy to be playing again.

This was a slightly strange gig. They have a long sold-out 'proper' show coming up in Oxford Town Hall in October. Tuesday's show was originally intended to be an album launch at Truck Records across the road. They were going to play an unplugged acoustic set, but things got a bit bigger than that, and I guess they realised Truck would be overwhelmed. So at short notice they grabbed The Bullingdon for a sort-of secret show. I've seen a lot of shows at the Bully with varying sized crowds (capacity is ~300 I think). This was the most packed I've ever seen it.

Abiding memory of the gig is that everyone, band and fans, was having a whale of a time. They played mostly as a five-piece, amplified, but fitted in a handful of entirely acoustic pieces - no mics, no amps, no aircon as that was louder than they were! - with the audience mouthing but not singing the words so that the people at the back could still hear.

A mix of new, old and very old songs. Best moment was when Brian realised they were about to play Zorbing; "a song written about living on Cowley Road, now being played on Cowley Road".

They were always a really happy band and they look and sound like they're very happy to have the chance to play again.

Cheers

Nick

Excellent...my other half has finally come around after initially dissing them for messing with her emotions after sobbing during much of the farewell tour  Grin  Do we know who the other two are?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1931 on: September 19, 2023, 05:54:41 PM »

Tenacious D was pretty silly, I must say. I have decided that "The D" is an homage to heavy metal music, as opposed to a Spinal Tap-style parody. I split after an hour so I could beat the traffic, as the venue was packed with bona fide metal-heads. A lot of parents brought their kids, too, which is...a choice, I guess? The language and subject matter are not suitable for children, IMO.

Sting was remarkable. The Moody Center was sold out, and he did not disappoint. He played a handful of unfamiliar songs in the middle section, but otherwise it was packed with Police and solo hits. I was not tempted to leave early. BTW, he's 71 years old and a spectacular physical specimen. He also invited anyone touring Stonehenge to drop by his nearby "castle" for a tour and a cup of tea.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1932 on: September 21, 2023, 05:43:03 AM »

Tenacious D was pretty silly, I must say. I have decided that "The D" is an homage to heavy metal music, as opposed to a Spinal Tap-style parody. I split after an hour so I could beat the traffic, as the venue was packed with bona fide metal-heads. A lot of parents brought their kids, too, which is...a choice, I guess? The language and subject matter are not suitable for children, IMO.

Sting was remarkable. The Moody Center was sold out, and he did not disappoint. He played a handful of unfamiliar songs in the middle section, but otherwise it was packed with Police and solo hits. I was not tempted to leave early. BTW, he's 71 years old and a spectacular physical specimen. He also invited anyone touring Stonehenge to drop by his nearby "castle" for a tour and a cup of tea.

I always remember a Q interview with Mr Sting conducted in one of his estates, where the reporter mentioned there were two lakes on his land.

Our Gordon replied, 'Well you've got to have a spare haven't you ?'

Well I never did..
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1933 on: September 22, 2023, 05:19:12 PM »

Pat Travers Band, yesterday, at Sam's Burger Joint in San Antonio, Texas!

This is the same venue where I saw Martin Barre last year. Fun little place. Standing room only last night, with about 200-300 folks.

For the uninitiated, Pat Travers is a very skilled rock/blues guitarist from Canada, who was all over the radio toward the end of my high school years. Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights), Crash and Burn, and Snortin' Whiskey (and Drinkin' Cocaine) were the three big songs of the period. During his peak years, Pat Thrall (later of Hughes/Thrall) played second guitar in the PTB.

This was my first time to see him. He played a Fender strat all night, with incredible tone and sustain that I didn't think possible on that instrument. His superb bass player was David Pastorius, nephew of Jaco. They built quite the wall of sound for a trio. My ears are still ringing. Two thumbs way up if you like guitar music and good, old-fashioned rock and roll.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1934 on: September 25, 2023, 10:45:47 AM »

Kevin Dempsey at the launch event for Launceston Folk Club on Saturday.

This was the first time I have seen him solo, though I have come across him in duos and accompanying others in the past.  I think he was at least partly invited because of his links to Swarb (whose widow Jill must live locally, and her image of him is being used as the club's mascot  - I don't think that is the right word, but it is what they said!) and he gave us an excellent evening with a guitar playing masterclass.  We also got a few songs from others, and there were events going on all day to mark the start up of the club, which will be happening monthly with visiting acts - they have Anna Ryder, Jez Walton, Merry Hll, Steve Tilston and others lined up for the coming year.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1935 on: September 26, 2023, 02:03:14 PM »

Shawn Colvin at the Union Chapel, Islington last night.

A solo gig of the finest quality - highlights from her whole catalogue and a couple of classy covers ("Ol' 55", "Killing The Blues"). Maybe a bit too much guitar tuning and rambling chat, but well worth going to see.

Blair Dunlop opened the batting with a short but very decent set. Nobody I spoke to in my vicinity had heard of him, but it's very likely he made some new friends last night, cd sales were healthy.
Can't believe it's been 14 years since I first saw him play in the Barbican foyer before Joe Boyd's Witchseason Fairport Early Years concert in 2009 !
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #1936 on: September 27, 2023, 11:14:09 AM »

Kevin Dempsey at the launch event for Launceston Folk Club on Saturday.

This was the first time I have seen him solo, though I have come across him in duos and accompanying others in the past.  I think he was at least partly invited because of his links to Swarb (whose widow Jill must live locally, and her image of him is being used as the club's mascot  - I don't think that is the right word, but it is what they said!) and he gave us an excellent evening with a guitar playing masterclass.  We also got a few songs from others, and there were events going on all day to mark the start up of the club, which will be happening monthly with visiting acts - they have Anna Ryder, Jez Walton, Merry Hll, Steve Tilston and others lined up for the coming year.

I saw Dempsey as a duo at the Godiva festival some years ago, when it had a 'folk' tent and was a decent local festival. Acoustic Strawbs also played in the same tent.
Dempsey and other chap were very good, and quite funny, but the audience didn't seem to get most of the jokes!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1937 on: September 30, 2023, 12:33:05 AM »

Just back from Gilmore and Roberts at Harwell. Always enjoyed Kat and Jamie live but this was really fantastic, the sort of gig you just don't want to end. Musicianship good as ever, but the songwriting seems to be on another level now and this was a beautifully judged collection of songs. They are touring their new album now, really worth making an effort to see.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1938 on: September 30, 2023, 10:10:06 AM »

Lindisfarne at Lowther Pavilion, Lytham. Exactly what you would expect - we met Eleanor on the corner and ran for home straight towards the clear white light. Wonderful rendition of Winter Song by Dave Hull Denholm.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1939 on: September 30, 2023, 01:22:23 PM »

Hayseed Dixie here in Lancaster last night. The banjo player was one of the stand-ins they've been having to use this year as their regular player has some illness that means he's not allowed to fly. But this guy did a good job with the obligatory Dueling Banjos near the end.

Just a couple more dates on this tour. Barnsley tonight and Milton Keynes tomorrow night.

Mrs B found this video of John Wheeler playing Gymnopedies by Erik Satie which he did as a lockdown project. Just a bit different to 'Eye of The Tiger' and 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dXiSbWPGzE&ab_channel=HayseedDixie

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: